Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates to start daily route to/from Edinburgh

Old May 8, 18, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards

Woke up to great news this morning!

As posted by Saltire74 in the official thread, Emirates will launch a daily service to Edinburgh starting 1st October 2017.

This is interesting and I wonder what impact, if any, this will have on the rumoured A380 to Glasgow and/or a potential 3rd daily to GLA. I am guessing that since Etihad announced its pulling out of EDI in the summer, whether this had any influence on EK grabbing this route.

In any case, this is cracking news and will allow more flexibility for all.

Emirates Press Release
AMBurns1512 likes this.
Old May 8, 18, 5:02 am

Programs: Skywards blue
Would a lack of dedicated EK lounge sway premium travellers to still use Glasgow?
Old May 8, 18, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls View Post
Would a lack of dedicated EK lounge sway premium travellers to still use Glasgow?
For sure. EK lounge is the deal breaker for premium travellers. However, for the cattle class passenger, they won't matter as long as they fly in direct and with tourism and Chinese travellers flocking to Edinburgh for studies and visits, i'm sure this route will be popular.

Recently I had to book a flight to Glasgow and couldn't get any availability so had to go to Dublin and then onto an Aer Lingus flight to Glasgow.
Old May 8, 18, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y View Post
Woke up to great news this morning!

As posted by Saltire74 in the official thread, Emirates will launch a daily service to Edinburgh starting 1st October 2017.

This is interesting and I wonder what impact, if any, this will have on the rumoured A380 to Glasgow and/or a potential 3rd daily to GLA. I am guessing that since Etihad announced its pulling out of EDI in the summer, whether this had any influence on EK grabbing this route.

In any case, this is cracking news and will allow more flexibility for all.

Emirates Press Release
Total influence ! EDI will be a success for EK
Old May 8, 18, 5:17 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat
I'll be interested to see what lounge Emirates use in Edinburgh. I think Doha uses No 1?

For me flying J and living in Glasgow, it'll be interesting to see what price difference is giving the fact I'm in the range to be picked up from my house for either Glasgow or Edinburgh.
Old May 8, 18, 5:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Plat, SPG gold, QF Silver, Shangri-La GC Jade, KLM FB
Originally Posted by Bouncingsouls View Post
Almost certainly. Both airports are handy for me. I love the GLA lounge.
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old May 8, 18, 5:52 am

Another one for who the lounge could swing it, even when in Y. I'm also within chauffeur range of both if travelling in J which is a bonus.
Old May 8, 18, 5:54 am

I was just thinking yesterday that Qatar have missed a trick not offering chauffeur service to pick passengers up from Glasgow as Edinburgh is now consistently cheaper than Glasgow. I guess I may stop using Glasgow and opt for Emirates from Edinburgh instead. The savings in both economy and business are considerable usually.. Although I prefer J on Emirates than Qatar.
Old May 8, 18, 6:05 am

Programs: Skywards blue
Originally Posted by sydtogla View Post
Almost certainly. Both airports are handy for me. I love the GLA lounge.
Having the EK Glasgow lounge Is great, As i personally find Glasgow normally a dire airport to sit around in.
i actually really like Edinburgh airport, the food and beverage options are great compared to Glasgow, especially when the new Brewdog airport bar opens, so if Edinburgh can get a dedicated EK lounge eventually, then that would be my preferred choice.
Old May 8, 18, 7:11 am

I would pick Edinburgh over Glasgow if they flew the new J cabin to Edinburgh. I don't mind having to use an external lounge as that was the case in Glasgow for many years until Emirates finally opened the Glasgow lounge.
Old May 8, 18, 10:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat
Looks like similar prices from Glasgow as Edinburgh. Not sure why you would pick Edinburgh, espeicially given the similar late evening flight times.
Old May 8, 18, 1:53 pm

Great news since Edinburgh is my airport of choice living near Carlisle plus prices are always cheaper from Edinburgh, We used Qatar and also Etihad over the last 12 months for trips over to Asia and never paid anymore than 400.

Checked the flights and its 530 to Bangkok, So not cheap at the moment, but will keep looking for opening offers
Old May 8, 18, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by malct View Post
Great news since Edinburgh is my airport of choice living near Carlisle plus prices are always cheaper from Edinburgh, We used Qatar and also Etihad over the last 12 months for trips over to Asia and never paid anymore than 400.

Checked the flights and its 530 to Bangkok, So not cheap at the moment, but will keep looking for opening offers

EK like to common rate their fares ex UK gateways...however yes look for occasional deals,I've noticed these little publicized deals in economy class from NCL and BHX .The ex London flights fill themselves more than the provincials .
London routes are more consistent in demand year round.There 'll probably be a budget for EK to promote the ex EDI route which will include some introductory fares to swing pax to fly EK .
Old May 8, 18, 3:34 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Plat, SPG gold, QF Silver, Shangri-La GC Jade, KLM FB
As I said on another thread though, be prepared to be messed around at EDI. The security and baggage handling are both subpar.

Last edited by sydtogla; May 8, 18 at 4:18 pm
Old May 8, 18, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by sydtogla View Post
As I said on another thread though. Be prepared to be messed around at EDI. The security and baggage handling are both subpar.
I've maybe been lucky and not had many issues. More waiting for gates but these arrivals aren't booked for morning peak.

Search this Thread