Wiki Posts
Search

Change Y saver to flexi

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
Change Y saver to flexi

Hi it seems it is not possible to change an economy saver fare to a higher economy family like flexi or flexiplus the only options in mmb is another date under the same Y family or business or first

As I'm not getting much help from EK customer service I was considering cancelling and starting over could anyone tell me the average wait time for a refund ?

I don't think there is a huge difference between cancellation and modification both costly
Old May 3, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
About 3-4 weeks in my experience. You can upfare but you'll generally have to pay a change fee. Original fare rules apply for cancellation
Old May 3, 2018, 5:50 am

Is this your "B777 and not an A380 fare"? What is the intended purpose of the change?
Old May 3, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Two F savers cancelled recently , refunded within 24hrs. I still cry at night about the refund fees.
steff_29 likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
Is this your "B777 and not an A380 fare"? What is the intended purpose of the change?
yes I don't want to fly on their "space saving" 777 I have never had the pleasure of being on a 777 with 10 across the last time I flew on a 777 was in the good old days of QR 3-3-3 luxury

Also I don't want to pay to change the date into another saver fare it is almost the same fee to change as to cancel

tbh most of my travel has been in QR premium class over the last 3 years and I gather not many DXB-BKK flights have low loads
Old May 4, 2018, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by spec119
yes I don't want to fly on their "space saving" 777 I have never had the pleasure of being on a 777 with 10 across the last time I flew on a 777 was in the good old days of QR 3-3-3 luxury

Also I don't want to pay to change the date into another saver fare it is almost the same fee to change as to cancel

tbh most of my travel has been in QR premium class over the last 3 years and I gather not many DXB-BKK flights have low loads
Forget about the change, you'll never notice half an inch off the seat width,

Internet heroes will tell you how bad it is, and how bad 2-3-2 is in Business Class but it's mostly just to sound hip and actually a lot of hot air. Sit back and enjoy the trip.
thijsseh, ElJudioErrante and JudeS like this.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
Forget about the change, you'll never notice half an inch off the seat width,

Internet heroes will tell you how bad it is, and how bad 2-3-2 is in Business Class but it's mostly just to sound hip and actually a lot of hot air. Sit back and enjoy the trip.
thanks that is very encouraging I have been pondering my options and thought if I have to pay a fee to change might just treat myself to J and enjoy myself it's a pity you can't just upgrade 1 sector even though I select Y on LGW-DXB and J on DXB-BKK it converts the complete one way trip to J currently GBP921 very tempting
Old May 4, 2018, 2:03 pm

thanks that is very encouraging I have been pondering my options and thought if I have to pay a fee to change might just treat myself to J and enjoy myself it's a pity you can't just upgrade 1 sector even though I select Y on LGW-DXB and J on DXB-BKK it converts the complete one way trip to J currently GBP921 very tempting
Yes EK applies married segment logic, however you might get an upgrade offer by email a few days before the trip for a discounted upgrade. Keep in mind the website often adds a change fee for cabin upgrade which is wrong, if you call they will waive it and only charge the fare difference so that might bring the cost to upgrade down a bit.
m3red likes this.

Last edited by skywardhunter; May 4, 2018 at 5:16 pm
Old May 4, 2018, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Yes EK applies married segment logic, however you might get an upgrade offer by email a few days before the trip for a discounted upgrade. Keep in mind the website often adds a change fee for cabin upgrade which is wrong, if you call theykltwaive it and only charge the fare difference so that might bring the cost to uogrupg down a bit.
Thank you that's useful to know
Old May 4, 2018, 4:31 pm

Thank you that's useful to know
Glad you understood what I was saying amongst all those spelling errors That's what typing on a phone gets you...
Old May 4, 2018, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Glad you understood what I was saying amongst all those spelling errors That's what typing on a phone gets you...
Yep totally understand lol
Old May 4, 2018, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes EK applies married segment logic, however you might get an upgrade offer by email a few days before the trip for a discounted upgrade. Keep in mind the website often adds a change fee for cabin upgrade which is wrong, if you call they will waive it and only charge the fare difference so that might bring the cost to upgrade down a bit.
That isn't to do with married sector logic, just that the change of a one way journey will normally be the same price whether 1 sector is in business class or both are in business class - on a journey A-C via B , it would need to be 2 fares of A-B plus B-C to make sense to upgrade only 1 segment
Old May 5, 2018, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That isn't to do with married sector logic, just that the change of a one way journey will normally be the same price whether 1 sector is in business class or both are in business class - on a journey A-C via B , it would need to be 2 fares of A-B plus B-C to make sense to upgrade only 1 segment
EK doesn't publish such fares that one could mix two classes of service, OP has a return ticket: LGW-DXB-BKK and BKK-DXB-LGW. EK sees these as two segments. LGW-DXB and DXB-BKK are part of the same segment, neither can be upgraded alone, even if changing to a more expensive fare construction of "one-ways" because no such fare exists in the EK network. Most EK fares don't permit end-on-end construction, and it would be prohibitively expensive if they did. Traditional married segment logic is that you can booked LGW-DXB-BKK but maybe there is no availability for LGW-DXB, however EK appears to apply this in a more granular way on the specific fares published, rather than purely to restrict city pair availability. This might also all be a product of the fare rules, more than married segment logic, or both, that's a black box I don't have the time to delve into, however the point, and in the interest of assisting OP, is that no, one can't just pay to upgrade a single leg on EK, save for special e-mail upgrade offers.

LGW-DXB-BKK = 1 segment
LGW-DXB = 1 leg

You may not be very familiar with EK, here are some references for you to read more about how married segments work (this site also explicitly mentions that EK uses this system):

https://www.australianfrequentflyer....ried-segments/

This EK Internal travel agent portal also refers to it, though one needs a login to see the actual content (which I don't have): https://www.emiratesagents.com/za/en...s/sitemap.aspx

EDIT: Just found this very informative PDF as well: http://www.emquest.ae/qlink/2011/may...m_External.pdf

3. Married Segment Logic (MSL)
Emirates’ allocates seat inventory based on the passenger’s entire itinerary, POS and the revenue associated with the itinerary. When a flight is shown in an 'Availability Display', as part of a connection, the entire connection or travel option must be sold together. MSL is a mechanism to designate a “married unit” for online connection segments sold together.
Emirates have implemented MSL based on the following principles.

• Marriages will have both waitlist and confirmed segment combinations.
• Marriages are NOT restricted to travel within 24 hours
• Maximum segments in a marriage are 3.
• Partial ticketing of married segments will be subject to review and cancellation.
thijsseh likes this.

Last edited by skywardhunter; May 5, 2018 at 1:20 am
Old May 5, 2018, 2:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Married sectors are for availability - not for fares

With married sector availability, it may be possible that A-B has I class available and B-C has I class available but A-C via B does not have availability

For the fares , for A-C via B , travelling part way in ecomony and part way in business would not be any cheaper than business the whole way

If someone has LGW-DXB-BKK, it would need to change the booking to LGW-DXB and DXB-BKK as 2 separate fares to have them in different classes. If on a through fare., the whole journey will be charged as a business class fare

You be patronising, but I do know what married sector logic is

from IATA glossary

Married segments is a term used to identify two or more segments in an itinerary which are actioned as a single unit (set). Acceptance and sending of marriage information is controlled by bilateral agreements. See IATA Recommended Practice 1777 and 1777a.

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 5, 2018 at 2:40 am
Old May 5, 2018, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Married sectors are for availability - not for fares

With married sector availability, it may be possible that A-B has I class available and B-C has I class available but A-C via B does not have availability

For the fares , for A-C via B , travelling part way in ecomony and part way in business would not be any cheaper than business the whole way

If someone has LGW-DXB-BKK, it would need to change the booking to LGW-DXB and DXB-BKK as 2 separate fares to have them in different classes. If on a through fare., the whole journey will be charged as a business class fare

You be patronising, but I do know what married sector logic is

from IATA glossary

Married segments is a term used to identify two or more segments in an itinerary which are actioned as a single unit (set). Acceptance and sending of marriage information is controlled by bilateral agreements. See IATA Recommended Practice 1777 and 1777a.
As I mentioned EK publishes no such fares, where one can carry LGW-DXB and DXB-BKK on a single ticket. fare rules prohibit this. Availability is indeed per-leg, married segment logic means that the lowest common fare bucket across the segment applies to all legs, so e.g. LGW-DXB has B availability and DXB-BKK has L availability (which is a much cheaper fare), it is not possible to ticket LGW-BKK on B+L, it has to all be in B, equally you cannot ticket LGW-DXB in J, I, O, P or any other business class fare, and have DXB-BKK in a lower fare bucket. It's all set out in the document with actual examples given.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.