Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates Name Order

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Emirates Name Order

Hi guys

I am new here and i will really appreciate some help from everyone! I would like to check with everyone regarding my name order on the emirates ticket I have

For example:
Name on my passport: John Tan Wee Kiong

I put my name on the Emirates ticket as:
First Name: John
Last Name: Tan Wee Kiong
As such, my emirates ticket pdf shows as John/Tanweekiong Mr

Is this going to be a problem?
Any help is appreciated!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:55 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by reverieofd
Hi guys

I am new here and i will really appreciate some help from everyone! I would like to check with everyone regarding my name order on the emirates ticket I have

For example:
Name on my passport: John Tan Wee Kiong

I put my name on the Emirates ticket as:
First Name: John
Last Name: Tan Wee Kiong
As such, my emirates ticket pdf shows as John/Tanweekiong Mr

Is this going to be a problem?
Any help is appreciated!
no that’s generally not an issue, however if John were your first name it would be TanWeeKiing/John Mr usually, but either way is fine, especially if all the parts of the name are there and approximately in the right sequence and spelling
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Ah my bad.

yeah the ticket came out as Tanweekiong/John Mr

Just wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be a problem during boarding!

Thank you so much
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Are you Malaysian-Chinese? I think your surname (last name) is actually "TAN"

Malaysian passports are very confusing and inconsistent as to which part of the name is your first name, middle name and last name. Unlike other countries, they do not use separate fields for Last/Family and Given names.

What does the machine readable line (the part with the < symbols) at the bottom of the passport data page say?

TAN<<JOHN<WEE<KIONG (I don't think Malaysian passports use << as this is a separator between the surname/lastname and the other names which most other countries use)
or
TAN<JOHN<WEE<KIONG
or
JOHN<TAN<WEE<KIONG
??

If TAN<<JOHN<WEE<KIONG, (Note the << being the "separator" between Surname/Lastname and given names)
then ticket should read either
TAN/JOHN MR
OR TAN/JOHN WEE KIONG MR

If TAN<JOHN<WEE<KIONG,
TAN/JOHN MR
OR TAN/JOHN WEE KIONG MR
OR TAN JOHN/WEE KIONG MR
OR TAN JOHN WEEK/KIONG MR

If JOHN<TAN<WEE<KIONG,
JOHN/TAN MR
JOHN/TAN WEE KIONG MR
JOHN TAN/WEE KIONG MR
JOHN TAN WEE/KIONG MR
ETC.

In the above examples, anything to the left of the "/" would be your surname/lastname and anything to the right would be your given names(s).

As long as your ticket follows the same order as the Machine Readable Line then you should probably be fine (as most check-in agents would swipe your passport to pull up your reservation during the check-in process).

Even if the order may not be correct, they may still be able to find you by manually searching the passenger list. If this is the case, you will have problems using any automated check-in kiosks that scan your passport to find your reservation.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by daniellam
Are you Malaysian-Chinese? I think your surname (last name) is actually "TAN"

Malaysian passports are very confusing and inconsistent as to which part of the name is your first name, middle name and last name. Unlike other countries, they do not use separate fields for Last/Family and Given names.

What does the machine readable line (the part with the < symbols) at the bottom of the passport data page say?

TAN<<JOHN<WEE<KIONG (I don't think Malaysian passports use << as this is a separator between the surname/lastname and the other names which most other countries use)
or
TAN<JOHN<WEE<KIONG
or
JOHN<TAN<WEE<KIONG
??

If TAN<<JOHN<WEE<KIONG, (Note the << being the "separator" between Surname/Lastname and given names)
TAN/JOHN MR
OR TAN/JOHN WEE KIONG MR

If TAN<JOHN<WEE<KIONG,
TAN/JOHN MR
OR TAN/JOHN WEE KIONG MR
OR TAN JOHN/WEE KIONG MR
OR TAN JOHN WEEK/KIONG MR

If JOHN<TAN<WEE<KIONG,
JOHN/TAN MR
JOHN/TAN WEE KIONG MR
JOHN TAN/WEE KIONG MR
JOHN TAN WEE/KIONG MR
ETC.

In the above examples, anything to the left of the "/" would be your surname/lastname and anything to the right would be your given names(s).

As long as your ticket follows the same order as the Machine Readable Line then you should probably be fine (as most check-in agents would swipe your passport to pull up your reservation during the check-in process).

Even if the order may not be correct, they may still be able to find you by manually searching the passenger list. If this is the case, you will have problems using any automated check-in kiosks that scan your passport to find your reservation.
Very good chance it won't find him based on name match but if he's entered APIS it might match on passport number and DOB. If that fails the booking reference will need to be provided, but I'm 95% certain there will be no issue, no matter what sequence the names are in, so long as they're all there and spelled correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.