Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Likelihood of upgrade from O class to First?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:34 am
Original Poster

I’ve booked an O class round trip for 2 for September, which says it allows upgrading to First at check in.

What is the likelihood that there will be upgrade availability then? Is it purely whether there are suites available, or does some other factor apply?

Also, if I’m planning on using AmEx points for this, will I be able to transfer the points quick enough to use at checkin once I’ve confirmed availability?

Thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Amex points don't transfer immediately IME. I think it took a couple of days when I did it. So, it would be risky.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Amex points don't transfer immediately IME. I think it took a couple of days when I did it. So, it would be risky.
According to Amex's page, "Transfers are normally immediate, but please allow up to 48 hours for the transfer to be completed"... Iffy, but maybe good enough?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by eDanK
According to Amex's page, "Transfers are normally immediate, but please allow up to 48 hours for the transfer to be completed"... Iffy, but maybe good enough?
Maybe the US version is different. I've just gone to do a transfer and it says :-

Stratheden likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:21 am

Ah... but then the transfer actually happened immediately. It sounds like they've made it immediate fairly recently, but not updated the UK website.
eDanK likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:22 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
I transferred points from AMEX in December and it was immediate.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

I think I've got almost complete faith in AmEx's ability to get the points to me. Now the remaining question is, how often is an O-to-First Suite upgrade available? (SFO-DXB-SFO)
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
I’ve booked an O class round trip for 2 for September, which says it allows upgrading to First at check in.

What is the likelihood that there will be upgrade availability then? Is it purely whether there are suites available, or does some other factor apply?

Also, if I’m planning on using AmEx points for this, will I be able to transfer the points quick enough to use at checkin once I’ve confirmed availability?

Thanks.
Isn't O Class a Reward ticket?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:14 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by extramileage
Isn't O Class a Reward ticket?
O class is a business saver fare (and business ‘Flex awards’ also book in O so yes, you are correct). The availability of F awards / upgrades (booking in Z bucket) does not depend on what the original fare bucket in business class was. That upgrade does however require more miles than an upgrade from a Flex or Flex+ fare.
To answer the question: it is difficult to predict the likelihood of upgrades becoming available. It certainly depends on the route, but obviously also on other factors such as (predicted load).

Last edited by thijsseh; Mar 30, 2018 at 12:22 am
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:37 am
Original Poster

If there are empty First Suites with 24 hours before flight, would those become available, or is it possible they would fly with them empty rather than opening them up to upgrades?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:52 am
Ambassador, Emirates

If there are empty First Suites with 24 hours before flight, would those become available, or is it possible they would fly with them empty rather than opening them up to upgrades?
There are a few different possibilities to upgrade at a late stage: You can ask at check in, you can ask in the lounge and (if you are Skywards silver or above), you can even get a 'space available upgrade' on board by asking the cabin crew.
This is all down to revenue management: as long as EK think they can sell an F seat at a Flex+ fare to a late 'walkup' passenger, they would much prefer this to an award upgrade. But obviously an empty seat is bad news for revenue and they would rather take your miles and put you in the seat than let it go empty.
If you tell me what route you are thinking of, I can look up what the loads in F are currently. That of course is no guarantee but we know that some routes are incredibly 'premium heavy' and are very difficult to get upgrades on and others are not that bad.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:50 am
Original Poster

My route is SFO-DXB-SFO. Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I flew DXB-JFK last week and didn’t see online availability but when asking at check in, they had space so used 54k miles to move up to F.

Worth asking at check in if you don’t see anything online
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:13 am
Ambassador, Emirates

My route is SFO-DXB-SFO. Thanks!
OK, for whatever it is worth: tonight's flight is F4 A4, meaning they are still selling F seats. Also they are selling J and Y seats, so not much chance that people will be upgraded. The seat map shows only 6 out of 14 seats selected (plus 2 blocked, one of which is 2A, the UM seat). This would all suggest that there is a reasonable chance of getting a miles upgrade at the airport.
In your favour: EK will not give status members 'free' upgrades like US based airlines tend to do. If no-one is prepared to pay cash or miles to sit up front (or in front upstairs in this case), the cabin will have empty seats. I am not a regular F flyer, but in my limited experience I have only once seen a full F cabin (and that was when the flight was jam packed and I got an op-up..). Others here will have a better view on this.
Looking for upgrade availability a month ahead: 4 out of 7 days show at least one seat available for upgrade.
All in all, there may be a reasonable chance that you 'get lucky' at the airport. Whether or not that means that you should convert those AMEX points is entirely out of my sphere of competence / interest.

The mantra though is: if you want to fly F, the most certain way to do so is to buy an F ticket (or upgrade as you buy a J ticket if there is upgrade availability)
eDanK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.