Wiki Posts
Search

Paid upgrade to F at checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Paid upgrade to F at checkin?

I have a full fare biz class ticket from SEZ-DXB-LAX and want to upgrade to F. Does anyone know how the paid upgrade works at check-in? If there are seats available will check-in agent offer this or approve the request?

Any insight in advance is appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by p100a
I have a full fare biz class ticket from SEZ-DXB-LAX and want to upgrade to F. Does anyone know how the paid upgrade works at check-in? If there are seats available will check-in agent offer this or approve the request?

Thanks
​With EK you need to pay the fare djffdiffer to upgrade at any time, there is no automatic or complimentary upgrade. If you indeed have a "full-fare" ticket, i.e. J fare bucket and Flex Plus, the cheapest F ticket might in fact be cheaper and you'd get a refund. Either way there's no benefit waiting until check-in, as the price will be the same if you just call now and ask unless the release F Savers nearer departure which aren't currently available.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Don’t wait until check in they won’t process they’ll send you to the ticket office. No discounted F offers at check in these days.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
​ If you indeed have a "full-fare" ticket, i.e. J fare bucket and Flex Plus, the cheapest F ticket might in fact be cheaper and you'd get a refund. Either way there's no benefit waiting until check-in, as the price will be the same if you just call now and ask unless the release F Savers nearer departure which aren't currently available.
+1

OP, do you really have a J Flex Plus ticket? Is this just a one way or part of a roundtrip?
Not sure what date you are traveling but a random April date shows not much price difference between Business and First.
If you have a J Flex Plus, just rebook in F now and pay the difference.

Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR

Thanks
Call EK ahead and get a quote - don't wait until check-in.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
+1

OP, do you really have a J Flex Plus ticket? Is this just a one way or part of a roundtrip?
Not sure what date you are traveling but a random April date shows not much price difference between Business and First.
If you have a J Flex Plus, just rebook in F now and pay the difference.

I am indeed on a J Flex Plus 1 way ticket. Looks like the the fare difference to F is about $900 USD. Question...is this worth it? Also, my final destination is SEA so now I am wondering the pros/cons of F between the 380 to LA or the 773 to SEA in F? Thoughts?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I am indeed on a J Flex Plus 1 way ticket. Looks like the the fare difference to F is about $900 USD. Question...is this worth it? Also, my final destination is SEA so now I am wondering the pros/cons of F between the 380 to LA or the 773 to SEA in F? Thoughts?
Personally, I would pay $900 to upgrade in a heartbeat. That's only $42 an hour for a totally different experience.
If you haven't experienced the A380, I would fly to LAX or SFO so you can do the shower and bar thing. It really is pretty cool.

The window suites on the 773 feel more spacious than the A380 windows suites. Plus, the 773 F cabin is more intimate with only 8 seats vs. 14 on the A380.
Since I've flown the A380 multiple times, I would choose nonstop on a 773/77W to a connection on the A380. But if I hadn't flown the A380, I would likely opt for the A380 and the connection.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I just paid the 900 to F to LAX on the 380 but might switch it to SEA later this week. Ive been on 380s before but not EKs. The LA connection puts me into SEA almost 7 hours later so that might be the deciding factor over the bar and shower, as nice at that sounds. I do prefer the lower noise level of the 380 hands down though.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:56 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Thanks for the info. I just paid the 900 to F to LAX on the 380 but might switch it to SEA later this week. Ive been on 380s before but not EKs. The LA connection puts me into SEA almost 7 hours later so that might be the deciding factor over the bar and shower, as nice at that sounds. I do prefer the lower noise level of the 380 hands down though.
Enjoy the F experience. Avoid LAX like the plague!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.