Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK419: Two sick passengers offloaded at BKK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Friday night I flew SYD-BKK-DXB and after boarding in the BKK stopover, the captain announced that there were 'two ill passengers' and medical assistance was found from the BKK ground staff and 15 minutes later he announced that they were being offloaded, but 'for security reasons' all overhead bins had to be searched whether all carry-ons really belong to the pax below it. Finally the delay was not that bad: +34 min.
But my question is: why the carry on search ? Because the (unlikely) possibility that the sick pax left a bomb in the plane ?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Oooooh the "B word"...

Well one could imagine that a pax with ill intentions (pun intended) might pretend to be sick so that they could depart the aircraft, leaving behind their "device". One could probably fashion some form of IED from laptop batteries, wires and alcohol/perfume purchased in duty free and start a fire quite easily, scary as that sounds. Trick is controlling timing...

Also just generally ensuring not travelling with unaccompanied bags in the cabin in general...
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:10 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by airsurfer
Friday night I flew SYD-BKK-DXB and after boarding in the BKK stopover, the captain announced that there were 'two ill passengers' and medical assistance was found from the BKK ground staff and 15 minutes later he announced that they were being offloaded, but 'for security reasons' all overhead bins had to be searched whether all carry-ons really belong to the pax below it. Finally the delay was not that bad: +34 min.
But my question is: why the carry on search ? Because the (unlikely) possibility that the sick pax left a bomb in the plane ?
Could be for any number of reasons.

One springs to mind that the airline are being cautious because it could have been someone smuggling drugs in their hand luggage and chickened out at the last minute by feigning illness. Sure the airline wouldn’t want to be bogged down by lots of paperwork and questioning on arrival in SYD DXB. That may be a bit extreme, but I would rather the airline be more cautious about things like this than not at all.

S

Last edited by Saltire74; Mar 4, 2018 at 9:19 pm Reason: Corrected destination.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:20 pm

I had the exact same drill on TK recently. One passenger was offloaded and all overhead bins were checked. I guess the rationale is obvious.

Shuly
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Saltire74

Could be for any number of reasons.

One springs to mind that the airline are being cautious because it could have been someone smuggling drugs in their hand luggage and chickened out at the last minute by feigning illness. Sure the airline wouldn’t want to be bogged down by lots of paperwork and questioning on arrival in SYD. That may be a bit extreme, but I would rather the airline be more cautious about things like this than not at all.

S

SYD-BKK-DXB, so smuggling would be Australia to UAE ?? either way DXB not pleasant to have to deal with it either, so presumably EK has to deal with it on a daily basis
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Oooooh the "B word"...

Well one could imagine that a pax with ill intentions (pun intended) might pretend to be sick so that they could depart the aircraft, leaving behind their "device". One could probably fashion some form of IED from laptop batteries, wires and alcohol/perfume purchased in duty free and start a fire quite easily, scary as that sounds. Trick is controlling timing...

Also just generally ensuring not travelling with unaccompanied bags in the cabin in general...

There isnt really a trick to controlling the timing. The flight duration allows for a massive window to be used and there isn't anything tricky about adding a timer to a circuit whether it be mechanical or electrical.

As for it being offloaded, aren't all bags always offloaded if the passenger doesn't fly in the aftermath of an air india flight?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Will08
There isnt really a trick to controlling the timing. The flight duration allows for a massive window to be used and there isn't anything tricky about adding a timer to a circuit whether it be mechanical or electrical.

As for it being offloaded, aren't all bags always offloaded if the passenger doesn't fly in the aftermath of an air india flight?
1. Presumably a timing device or such type of electronics might be detected by airport security, I meant that even with the electronics we all carry on board one could easily start a fire, just try sticking a knife into a Lithium Ion battery (please don't actually do it!) it practically explodes. That is what I was thinking off, kinetic piercing of a cell, that'd be hard to do automatically on a timer without attracting attention.
2. This Air India thing has come up before, and there are two things: a. bags can in some circumstances travel unaccompanied (e.g. misconnected bags, certain types of flights, domestic? I'm not sure) and b. checked bags are labelled and identifiable, this thread however pertains to hand luggage which could easily be left onboard at an intermediary stop on a flight that otherwise continues on, perhaps a reason why at some places all pax must disembark rather than stay on board (MXP for example), but I don't know if that is in fact part of the reason
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:13 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Yikes, I don't like where this thread is going.

As far as I'm aware, that is standard protocol for pax who are offloaded with an illness and are unable to identify their own hand luggage. So cardiac arrest / coma / drunk.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:27 pm

1. Presumably a timing device or such type of electronics might be detected by airport security, I meant that even with the electronics we all carry on board one could easily start a fire, just try sticking a knife into a Lithium Ion battery (please don't actually do it!) it practically explodes. That is what I was thinking off, kinetic piercing of a cell, that'd be hard to do automatically on a timer without attracting attention.
2. This Air India thing has come up before, and there are two things: a. bags can in some circumstances travel unaccompanied (e.g. misconnected bags, certain types of flights, domestic? I'm not sure) and b. checked bags are labelled and identifiable, this thread however pertains to hand luggage which could easily be left onboard at an intermediary stop on a flight that otherwise continues on, perhaps a reason why at some places all pax must disembark rather than stay on board (MXP for example), but I don't know if that is in fact part of the reason
Regardless of airport security there is nothing illegal in carrying something such as a coupatan timer on board in your hand luggage. It is an item that can be legally bought and easily used as a switch in a simple circuit.

As for the unaccompanied bags, this is an eventuality that isn't planned. As an individual you don't choose for your bag to misconnect and you also don't choose when it will be in flight, or even what flight - making it difficult to use a time device as you don't have a certain window of opportunity.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by sydtogla

As far as I'm aware, that is standard protocol for pax who are offloaded with an illness and are unable to identify their own hand luggage. So cardiac arrest / coma / drunk.

You are right, probably a discussion to have over a beer rather than on an open forum!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Exact same thing happened today on EK203. The couple was seated in the seat just before me. The husband was complaining continuously to the senior about something and the FA became visibly agitated after the doors were closed and the aircraft was pushed back. FA then seemed 'enraged' and informed the pax that the matter was now beyond his control and he would not allow them on a 14 hour flight - they need to undergo a thorough medical exam before they would be allowed. Shortly thereafter, captain informed us that they were going back to the terminal to offload some folks and their luggage. Frankly speaking, the couple looked absolutely fine, collected their luggage and went off so not sure what the fuss was about (Maybe FA wanted to teach them a lesson for whining - he was definitely behaving more like a cop than a FA).

And yes, we did have the entire O/H baggage identification at DXB. I think that is because with today's security rules, your bags have to travel with you. So, the ground staff has to ensure that no unidentified bags/ bags belonging to the offloaded pax are left in the aircraft after the pax are offloaded.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:20 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
SYD-BKK-DXB, so smuggling would be Australia to UAE ?? either way DXB not pleasant to have to deal with it either, so presumably EK has to deal with it on a daily basis
Corrected. Could be pax joining in BKK

S

Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex

Yes, SOP.

Had this happen TWICE on the same flight before when one pax was offloaded for medical reasons prior to departure... and then after initial pushback another had to go also for medical reasons..
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Moral of the story: If you feel a bit sick, let them know at the gate people. We're not all on holiday and can spare a few hours.
Saltire74 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Moral of the story: If you feel a bit sick, let them know at the gate people. We're not all on holiday and can spare a few hours.
^

Or (if just under the influence and in F on A380) behave, keep quiet, take a shower, sober up - and celebrate with a glass of DP 😂

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.