Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Twin seats in economy - worth the cost?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Twin seats in economy - worth the cost?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Skywards, Silver
I always pick 46A and 46K due to the increased amount of legroom, which is luxury when you are on the 777. But I am a big guy, so this might not matter to most people =)
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards
Sorry, I know this is slightly off topic, and apologies if it has been answered elsewhere - I have looked! Thinking about travel in economy, would the price of seat reservations for the two seats together be the same for Saver and Flex tickets, or would the Saver ticket person pay more?

Also, is there any way to find out how much the seat reservation would cost? I did a dummy booking as far as where you type in your name.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by beeorchid
Sorry, I know this is slightly off topic, and apologies if it has been answered elsewhere - I have looked! Thinking about travel in economy, would the price of seat reservations for the two seats together be the same for Saver and Flex tickets, or would the Saver ticket person pay more?

Also, is there any way to find out how much the seat reservation would cost? I did a dummy booking as far as where you type in your name.
The cost is the same, as far as I know, the difference being that Flex you can select regular seats for free.

Not sure about checking cost, can't you select seats before completing payment?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by Fernweh
I'm sure we'll be fine in economy, I've always been in economy when I've flown long-haul in the past and I've survived ok.
Do tell Emirates in advance that it is a honeymoon flight, though. When I went on honeymoon with them less than two years ago we got a free cake on the flight to celebrate.

Regulars on here will be able to say whether this touch has been "enhanced" away with the latest upgrades.

PS Don't pay for the twin seat on the B777, they don't line up very well with the seats in front and some of them are narrower because the tray table is stowed in the seat. And the B777 seats are plenty narrow enough as it is.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Arctic Troll
Do tell Emirates in advance that it is a honeymoon flight, though. When I went on honeymoon with them less than two years ago we got a free cake on the flight to celebrate.

Regulars on here will be able to say whether this touch has been "enhanced" away with the latest upgrades.

PS Don't pay for the twin seat on the B777, they don't line up very well with the seats in front and some of them are narrower because the tray table is stowed in the seat. And the B777 seats are plenty narrow enough as it is.
Yup, the cake must be pre-ordered and paid for now

I disagree regarding the twin seats on the 777, I don't usually fly in them but did recently as I was travelling with someone and was pleasantly surprised. While the first row of twins has an immovable arm rest it lines up fine with the seat in front for the IFE and it had a bit more leg room as far as I could tell, had a very comfortable flight
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Yup, the cake must be pre-ordered and paid for now
*sigh*

Everything gets more expensive and less good.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:52 am

Flew EK economy for my honeymoon last year. Didn't pay for the cake, but did ask Emirates Support on Twitter to add that it was our honeymoon as a note on our booking and the crew made a bit of a fuss.. Although it was my first Gold flight at the back of the bus, so maybe that's the normal treatment :P

R
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Slightly off topic too but I have upcoming EK flights in Y. Wanted to purchase front row extra legroom seats. Checked on Expertflyer and all those seats show as blocked (and so do all pairs and so-called preferred seats).

Once I go to manage by booking all Expertflyer blocked seats are available for sale, except for the extra legroom ones.

I checked the EK website to see if those are only for sale to high status members (I have no status on EK) like on BA but found no such mention - it appears EK is happy to sell those to anyone.

Any idea why these seats are blocked and what can I do?
Emirates used to block the upper deck economy seats on low load flight to let J pax off first as this version of the A380 with no F and upstairs Y cabin prevened this. Door is in the middle of Y cabin so J class have to wait if Y class pax are in this section

I assume now that the rev management team will sell these seats as high as Y pax are prepared to pay $$$$$

Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by MARTINSWIN

Emirates used to block the upper deck economy seats on low load flight to let J pax off first as this version of the A380 with no F and upstairs Y cabin prevened this. Door is in the middle of Y cabin so J class have to wait if Y class pax are in this section

I assume now that the rev management team will sell these seats as high as Y pax are prepared to pay $$$$$

Didn't they only block the 2nd Y cabin, but not the front one? Also this was only reported in the very first months of operations of the two class A380s IIRC, these days upper deck is routinely available AFAIK
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: UA, LH, BA
surely the OP can find a high school kid who can log in and do the OLCI at precisely T-24? Give the kid $20 for his troubles.

That's what I did.... my neighbor's kid was more than happy to do it for me for free.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by geometry
surely the OP can find a high school kid who can log in and do the OLCI at precisely T-24? Give the kid $20 for his troubles.

That's what I did.... my neighbor's kid was more than happy to do it for me for free.
Problem is many might already have selected seats when check in opens at T-48
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Didn't they only block the 2nd Y cabin, but not the front one? Also this was only reported in the very first months of operations of the two class A380s IIRC, these days upper deck is routinely available AFAIK
that's what I actually meant they still do it as shown on my booking on EK19 DXB to MAN

b
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by MARTINSWIN
that's what I actually meant they still do it as shown on my booking on EK19 DXB to MAN

b
Still done routinely on flights that I've looked at recently. I can pretty much guarantee that on one peak time booking I have it'll open up, but for now it's still blocked.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Angry

Originally Posted by daisymay2
We've travelled on the upper deck economy twice and booked to return from Mauritius in March MRU-DXB at a cost of £25.00 pp now they've introduced charges for silver skywards which we thought reasonable. We booked those 2 months ago.

However I just booked economy flights for April and the charge has now rocketed to £60.00 pp.........why EK?
For three legs for 2 people that's £360 if my maths are right.

Upper deck is certainly much better than the lower deck IME. We used to prebook the 2 seaters on the 777 when we used to fly the 777 and they were free for status pax but IMO they aren't worth paying for.
Just had a long conversation with EK about the prices ex MRU.

They checked and yes we paid £25.00 for the 11th March flight MRU-DXB.

The reason they are now charging £60.00 is because Mauritius is now classified as medium haul whereas before it was classed as short haul sector.

Yes, let's move the goalposts to make more money out of seat selection, why not?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by daisymay2
Just had a long conversation with EK about the prices ex MRU.

They checked and yes we paid £25.00 for the 11th March flight MRU-DXB.

The reason they are now charging £60.00 is because Mauritius is now classified as medium haul whereas before it was classed as short haul sector.

Yes, let's move the goalposts to make more money out of seat selection, why not?
Do you consider a 7 hour flight to be short haul?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.