Wiki Posts
Search

Tip the chauffeur?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Tip the chauffeur?

Hello all.

I'm soon traveling on EK 232 from IAD to DXB. I'm in F and as such have reserved a chauffeur through EK for the complimentary ride to the airport here in Washington and on arrival in Dubai. Does anybody tip the driver in the US? If so, how much? Thanks for any insight/ thoughts.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by jasondc
Hello all.

I'm soon traveling on EK 232 from IAD to DXB. I'm in F and as such have reserved a chauffeur through EK for the complimentary ride to the airport here in Washington and on arrival in Dubai. Does anybody tip the driver in the US? If so, how much? Thanks for any insight/ thoughts.
i always tip in accordance with local custom - last time i didn’t tip in the US in a bar it didn’t end well....
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by m3red

i always tip in accordance with local custom - last time i didn’t tip in the US in a bar it didn’t end well....
For US stations it specifically states in the CD T&Cs that gratuity is included.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:53 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jasondc
Hello all.

I've always tipped $20, as long as the driver was generally good, ie helping with luggage, etc. Which has been every time. Many feel as $10 is sufficient though. Either is fine, IMO.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: Emirates Platinum
I quite rarely tip (as I generally don’t have the local currency on me) but not tipping has never been a problem, even in the US.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:42 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
In Australia tipping is rare (within society, not tourist hotspots), so I don't tip. In the UK I don't tip either because I often end up with the same driver and don't want to create an expectation that I'm going to tip every time (i.e, I'll be in an EK CD car 8-10x per year in GLA alone and the drivers usually work according to specific drop off area).
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
I tip in the US usually $20-25 for CD depending on whether they allow me intermediate stops I try to tip on arrival but they're usually going to get foreign currency (dollars in the UAE, or dirhams in India!). We once had a CD driver in HYD who was seriously upset that it took us 2 hours to get out of the airport (visa issue) and demanded 500 INR for his troubles, that was uncomfortable.

I am American (amurrikun) so we feel some guilt when we don't tip...
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
I actually asked Emirates aout this and they suggested I contacted the limo company, who told me that it was purely up to me - very helpful
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:29 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Tipping is always optional - the US creates an awful situation in which many are payed inhuman wages simply because tips are common in their industries.
I will never tip unless exemplary service is performed for that very reason. The US government needs to enforce a universal minimum wage.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
It gets to the point where "complimentary" CD costs the same as getting a taxi, especially in Dubai where taxis are so cheap.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by DatBoi
Tipping is always optional - the US creates an awful situation in which many are payed inhuman wages simply because tips are common in their industries.
I will never tip unless exemplary service is performed for that very reason. The US government needs to enforce a universal minimum wage.
I think they have bigger issues right now. :P
DatBoi likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: EK Gold, FB Silver
I never tip, except in the US where I thought giving a $5 tip would be very much appreciated. Seems like some of you guys give $20-25? That's just crazy for my European mind... Never had any problems though.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by gorbatzjov
I never tip, except in the US where I thought giving a $5 tip would be very much appreciated. Seems like some of you guys give $20-25? That's just crazy for my European mind... Never had any problems though.
Perhaps there's a different expectation for when the passenger has a yankee accent?

The one time I tipped $25 was when I got the best historical tour of my own city by the limo driver on account of the fact that there was traffic everywhere and he knew just the right way to SFO...
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:42 am

Wow $25 tip. It's about as much as Uber cost me to get to the airport and it's actually easier to order Uber than setup driver pickup through EK (even though it's a better car from EK).
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:40 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I usually tip $10-$20 for CD in the US, depending on how long the drive is. I tip around 10-20 AED in Dubai as well.

It really feels antiquated now tbh, because with Uber/Lyft/etc you can just tip in the app, which is a lot easier. I seriously hate the experience of pulling out cash from my wallet while also dealing with bags. I know that "officially" gratuity is already included, but it stills feels awkward to not tip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.