Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

reasons I will be flying EK far less in 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond

to begin I have have flown EK every month for the past 12 years in a mix of Y and J bookings

I still believe EK is the best Economy Class seat in the industry but in 2017, not once was I upgraded.

in their Business Lounge in Dubai the other day, I went to use the toilet and there was a line literally 10-deep, it was easier to leave the lounge and use the washroom in the terminal

it also seems unbelievable that the smoking section in the Business Lounge in Dubai is not closed in, I find it disgusting and think their hometown lounge has a really poor design

I think the meal service in J has been on a steady decline, it is obvious EK is cutting costs in many other areas too though they still have fabulous wines

EK changed their seating policy in Y and has made it more difficult for passengers with status to get the best seats without showing up at the airport 6 hours in advance

there are a number of other issues but bottom line I feel EK simply does not appreciate my business much anymore

In 2018 I plan to use DXB much less often and fly Qatar Airways with the understanding they do not have as many convenient connections as EK but better J service, more special fare offers and opportunities to earn miles as a Platinum, plus the Emerald status lounge access options are just incredible in some airports

I have been one of EK's biggest fans for years, but less so in recent years
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Good luck using QR if you're based in Dubai....whilst EK may be cutting costs I would not spend 3 hours + to get to DOH to use QR especially when QR Economy is dire (try asking them for 2 cans of beer!).

Re your points - agree re Toilets although has always been that way during busy times.
Smoking section is one end of the lounge, there are plenty of places to sit where the smoke is not noticeable (however, it is unusual these days to see a non-enclosed smoking area)
EK J is hit and miss, depends on aircraft age, type etc

I fly EK Y most places except to London and the US where I fly BA. BA is cheaper and good to use if you don't want to do 15 hours down the back.

Finally, EK Skywards is undoubtedly amongst the worst FF schemes going, especially if you normally fly Y.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
just for the record I will no longer be based in Dubai, prices in Dubai for everything have gone up and up

we moved our Free Zone Enterprise to UAQ to greatly reduce our overhead and beat the rush when the next Dubai bubble pops

not planning on using QR for Y flights (primarily long-haul J), Cathay or BA could work out better for Y flights
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: EK Gold, FB Silver
I recently flew KL on trips to Europe and North America. Must say I am very impressed with their service, seat comfort and food. I exclusively fly cheapest Y (except in the rare occasion I get an upgrade). I'm still EK Gold, flying Y saver gives you an idea how much I have to fly to reach Gold... The exorbiant price ex-DXB (which indeed was always there) and the increase in quality of other airlines, gave me the push to stop flying EK. There is not one flight or destination that I travel to that justifies the premium EK asks; connections are reasonable and airlines are just as reputable and comfortable...
DXB-BRU-DXB around 3000 AED or DXB-FRA-BRU-FRA-DXB / DXB-AMS-BRU-AMS-BRU for 1700 AED -- That's 1,300 AED I can spend on hotel upgrades...
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by #1son
I still believe EK is the best Economy Class seat in the industry but in 2017, not once was I upgraded.
Total of 2 upgrades for me in 2017 as a Plat... As you know, when business is down, seats are more empty and thus less Op Ups are necessary.

EK changed their seating policy in Y and has made it more difficult for passengers with status to get the best seats without showing up at the airport 6 hours in advance
Technically, it's as easy as ever to nab exit rows...if you pay up! I actually find the new policy favorable. As I'm late ticket booker and good "free" (for me) Y seats towards the front are now much more available.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by extramileage
Total of 2 upgrades for me in 2017 as a Plat... As you know, when business is down, seats are more empty and thus less Op Ups are necessary.
The OP says he is a Gold, so unlikely to get upgraded unless on Flex Plus tickets in reality.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:29 am

in their Business Lounge in Dubai the other day, I went to use the toilet and there was a line literally 10-deep, it was easier to leave the lounge and use the washroom in the terminal

it also seems unbelievable that the smoking section in the Business Lounge in Dubai is not closed in, I find it disgusting and think their hometown lounge has a really poor design

I think the meal service in J has been on a steady decline, it is obvious EK is cutting costs in many other areas too though they still have fabulous wines
Which Business Lounge are you referring to? I don't smoke, and I've never really noticed a smoke smell from any of the lounges, so I'd be interested to hear where about's the smoking section is?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Which Business Lounge are you referring to? I don't smoke, and I've never really noticed a smoke smell from any of the lounges, so I'd be interested to hear where about's the smoking section is?
If you ever want to exit the B concourse J lounge from the back you have to go through the smoking section, which is kind of nasty if you're a non-smoker.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by extramileage
If you ever want to exit the B concourse J lounge from the back you have to go through the smoking section, which is kind of nasty if you're a non-smoker.
Is that up near the Champagne Bar? We went there a few months back - but at a very quiet time of day, so didn't really notice the smoking.

It's my pet hate about Dubai - most places still allow smoking. Not too bad in the winter when you can sit outside, but a pain in the summer.

I remember about 10 years ago when they banned smoking in bars. It was completely ignored
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Just to add, seat selection is much better since paid seat selection, at least for Golds, because you get to select pretty much any seat (except twins), including all non-status pax on the same booking. I always sit in the first mini-cabin on the 77W which is now "preferred seating" so unless the plane is full I find it heightens my chances of an empty seat next to me.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:20 am

to begin I have have flown EK every month for the past 12 years in a mix of Y and J bookings

there are a number of other issues but bottom line I feel EK simply does not appreciate my business much anymore

In 2018 I plan to use DXB much less often and fly Qatar Airways with the understanding they do not have as many convenient connections as EK but better J service, more special fare offers and opportunities to earn miles as a Platinum, plus the Emerald status lounge access options are just incredible in some airports

I have been one of EK's biggest fans for years, but less so in recent years
Quite well set out, although for newbies reading this, the smoking bit is a bit overstated. In A Lounge the smoking areas are enclosed and in C it is upstairs. No-one has to go near the open area in B, which I do admit you can smell from a distance. As a smoker, I look on it as you're getting something for nothing.

For a few years now, I've toyed with using EY and QR as alternatives to EK (and indeed I'm using EY in a few weeks) as EDI is more convenient for me than GLA but reading their respective forums on here has not encouraged me to do so. Neither did my previous EY experience and I'm doing it again for one reason only - the price.
Saltire74 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:35 am

Are you still based in the UAE? You know that QR no longer flies there due to the blockade yes? How do you plan on flying QR?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by jasondc
Are you still based in the UAE? You know that QR no longer flies there due to the blockade yes? How do you plan on flying QR?
Perhaps have a look at post #3 in this thread...
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:26 pm

I did. it said they are no longer in Dubai. I asked if they were still in the UAE. The UAE is composed of 7 Emirates. It looks like based on their title they are in Umm al Quaim (one of the smaller Emirates). If that is indeed the case, I was wondering how they would avail themselves of Qatar Airways, given that QR can no longer fly anywhere in the UAE, not just Dubai.

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Perhaps have a look at post #3 in this thread...
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by jasondc
I did. it said they are no longer in Dubai. I asked if they were still in the UAE. The UAE is composed of 7 Emirates. It looks like based on their title they are in Umm al Quaim (one of the smaller Emirates). If that is indeed the case, I was wondering how they would avail themselves of Qatar Airways, given that QR can no longer fly anywhere in the UAE, not just Dubai.
Yes, fair point I guess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.