Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

MLE-DBX-LAX - Advice before I book.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Have never flown Emirates before and want to get some thought on points booking before I make the reservation. My goal is to fly Business or First.

Business class is available for 123,750 Miles + USD 599.13 PP.

Is is possible to pay cash for Economy and upgrade using points to Business or First after booking? I don’t want to wait until 24 hours before we fly to secure the seats.

If I book Business on Points is there a cash and/or points upgrade path to First I can get in advance?

Thanks
Dave

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Dec 28, 2018 at 10:59 am
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
Have never flown Emirates before and want to get some thought on points booking before I make the reservation. My goal is to fly Business or First.

Is is possible to pay cash for Economy and upgrade using points to Business or First after booking? I don’t to wait until 24 hours before we fly to secure the seats.

Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave, welcome to the EK Forum.

Yes it is possible, as long as you can book a Business Saver award for points, then those flights are also available to upgrade from Economy to Business. If you call and book you can confirm this with the agent and process the upgrade all in one transaction to be sure.

Something to note: The higher brand Economy ticket you buy, the fewer miles are required to upgrade (Saver, Flex, Flex Plus, etc). Savers can only be upgraded 48 hours before departure, and Specials cannot be upgraded at all I think. Ideally you'd want to book Flex, as it's the best combination of low price and low miles required. The EK website does also sometimes show whether a flight can be upgraded, but this isn't always reliable (in the search results while booking revenue tickets this is)
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Is is possible to pay cash for Economy and upgrade using points to Business or First after booking? I don’t want to wait until 24 hours before we fly to secure the seats.
Do you have EK ff miles?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Do you have EK ff miles?
Amex pts probably
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Amex pts probably
Yes, AMEX....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.