Is this a good fare to JNB?

Old Dec 15, 17, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Is this a good fare to JNB?

Looking for advice. Iím wanting to go from SEA to JNB in something that is not economy. I found an Emirates fare for SEA-DXB-JNB for $4300 rt in business. Is this an average price for the cabin? Great deal? Meh? Thanks for any advice/experience.
Old Dec 15, 17, 11:53 pm

Around $4000 is what you would expect west coast to south africa pricing in business class, yes. You can likely find cheaper options from Vancouver, LAX or SFO.

But the emirates 777 plane from seattle is not their best business class seating. Better if you can get a a380 plane which leaves from other cities in US (e.g. from lax and jfk i think, doublecheck before buying).

But anyways, if you're willing and able to pay $4000 for a flight, you can pick any of the options and all should be good. Personally that's too much money just for one roundtrip for me.
bork likes this.
Old Dec 16, 17, 2:25 am

Don't know when you are flying...but LH have fares via FRA for right on $4k....in Business. Or $1700 in Premium Economy.... (Used middle of March)
Old Dec 16, 17, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by bork View Post
Looking for advice. Iím wanting to go from SEA to JNB in something that is not economy. I found an Emirates fare for SEA-DXB-JNB for $4300 rt in business. Is this an average price for the cabin? Great deal? Meh? Thanks for any advice/experience.
emirates website/app is showing that as (their) lowest rt fare in J. So for EK is good deal!
Old Dec 16, 17, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Thank you all for the advice. Seems like a decent price for Emirates, but not anything that special overall. Emirates has the advantage of being able to credit to Alaska. Iíve been weighing the options of a paid fare vs burning almost all my American miles on two Separate awards that pivot in the Middle East, vs waiting for a better fare.
Old Dec 16, 17, 11:56 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
From past experience, flying West Coast USA to South Africa via Qatar and Doha is a long way out of the way; even with a terrific Business Class and Lounge in DOH. It felt like at least 5-8 hours of additional travel versus connecting in Europe . . . If you're connecting on Emirates, it may not make much difference, but compared to a connection point in Europe, it is much longer.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: