Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates resume operating some flights over Iraq

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Emirates and flydubai have resumed using Iraqi airspace for flights to other countries, the Middle East airlines said on Monday, two days after Iraq declared victory in its years-long fight against Islamic state.
Several airlines stopped flying over Iraq in 2014 on safety concerns because of the conflict and after a Malaysian Airlines passenger jet was shot down over Ukraine the same year.
Airlines have instead been flying longer routes over Iran and other countries, increasing congestion in the region, with many airlines also avoiding Syrian airspace.
The use of Iraqi airspace is likely to help Emirates and flydubai to save on fuel costs by shortening flying hours and also reduce regional airspace congestion.
https://www.thenational.ae/uae/emira...-iraq-1.683747
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Watching EK31 fly over Basra on FR24. It’s at FL40.....
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydtogla
Watching EK31 fly over Basra on FR24. It’s at FL40.....

Just in case...
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
EK was flying over Iraq for some flights as early as Nov 27 (e.g. EK 122)... maybe they were thinking it was a done deal by then.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
I went over Iraq on Nov 28 on EK30. Apparently I was the only person on the flight to question it.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:05 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
I wonder how they decide which flights overfly Iraq. Currently (on FR24), EK123 (DXB-IST) is over Iraq. But EK206 (JFK-DXB) has made a clear 'detour' to miss it. There are also three QR flights (DOH-BRU, but the other two originate in Iraq ) and a BA (DXB-LHR) flight there. All still avoiding Syria though...
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by thijsseh
I wonder how they decide which flights overfly Iraq. Currently (on FR24), EK123 (DXB-IST) is over Iraq. But EK206 (JFK-DXB) has made a clear 'detour' to miss it. There are also three QR flights (DOH-BRU, but the other two originate in Iraq ) and a BA (DXB-LHR) flight there. All still avoiding Syria though...
Perhaps American pax would be a bit sensitive to flying over aye-rack?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Probably a combination of:

- possible flight level, i.e. how high can they overfly, though EK123 is a 77W and at FL360 so not that high (777s actually generally fly relatively low compared to A380s)
- overflight costs
- origin and destination country restrictions (flight originating from JFK - US might have restrictions on filing flight plans over Iraq, or perhaps the aircraft is more likely to be targeted as it will be carrying a lot of US pax)
- winds

I believe EK dispatch balances overflight costs with winds and will put in a detour if the extra fuel costs less than the shorter route in terms of overall costs.
Will08 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Probably a combination of:

- origin and destination country restrictions (flight originating from JFK - US might have restrictions on filing flight plans over Iraq, or perhaps the aircraft is more likely to be targeted as it will be carrying a lot of US pax)
-
EK226 (SFO-DXB) is still avoiding Iraq and preferring Iran as of the last few days.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Metanoia
EK226 (SFO-DXB) is still avoiding Iraq and preferring Iran as of the last few days.
I don't think an SFO flight would go anywhere near Iraq anyway. Straight up and over the North Pole
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I don't think an SFO flight would go anywhere near Iraq anyway. Straight up and over the North Pole
In the past (2009-2010), depending on winds of course, we'd sometimes fly up over the pole and over the Nordic countries/Russia/Baltics and then directly over Baghdad. I've had so many different routes for this flight including a traditional North Atlantic route (up and over Greenland, over Scotland, and over continental Europe), and of course right over the North Pole with the requisite selfie with champagne in front of the airshow TV in the bar
thijsseh likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:55 am

FAA lifts ban on Iraq airspace ? International Ops 2017

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.