Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates Wishlist for 2018 (incl Route Rumours)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates Wishlist for 2018 (incl Route Rumours)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
My kids live with their mother in Seattle, so everytime I get a chance to go to the states, I’m always trying to make it to SEA for some kind of visit.

I always wished EK would serve an A380 to Seattle, which would make sense to me because of their close codeshare alignment with AS. When I brought it up to EK crew on one of my last flights they told me since it’s Boeing’s base, there is a lot of pressure on them not to fly an A380 there. Don’t know if there is any truth to that, but would love to see SEA get A380 service.
IMO at least 99% truth in that !
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
My kids live with their mother in Seattle, so everytime I get a chance to go to the states, I’m always trying to make it to SEA for some kind of visit.

I always wished EK would serve an A380 to Seattle, which would make sense to me because of their close codeshare alignment with AS. When I brought it up to EK crew on one of my last flights they told me since it’s Boeing’s base, there is a lot of pressure on them not to fly an A380 there. Don’t know if there is any truth to that, but would love to see SEA get A380 service.
Not sure but wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. But also it's a great route for some maintenance and issue fixing in new frames and such so that may also be a reason
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
they told me since it’s Boeing’s base, there is a lot of pressure on them not to fly an A380 there. Don’t know if there is any truth to that, but would love to see SEA get A380 service.
So goes the legend... I've heard that often, but never in an official capacity.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by extramileage
So goes the legend... I've heard that often, but never in an official capacity.
FWIW this was at the skybar from DXB-AKL with two FA’s and an off-duty 777 first officer who told me this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat

When things were "better" EK flew 2 77Ws instead of upgauging to an A380, so this corroborates what you just said. I miss having that morning flight option :-/
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:49 am

I think, SEA is not ready for an A380.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
EDI now confirmed, replacing the Etihad service. Daily service on 3 class 777

Emirates to launch daily Edinburgh flights | Buying Business Travel
Old May 8, 2018, 5:40 am

Surprising for me, but shows the DXB gossip can be good.Emirates Wishlist for 2018 (incl Route Rumours)
Old May 12, 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by ZRHMD11
I think, SEA is not ready for an A380.
Not ready ? It is not a single runway grass airstrip, but a full blown international airport which serves all wide bodies so why not an A380 ?
Old May 12, 2018, 1:36 pm
Suspended

It doesn’t serve A380s as the parking and most taxiways are not Code E (A380, B748 & AN225) compatible.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by airsurfer
Not ready ? It is not a single runway grass airstrip, but a full blown international airport which serves all wide bodies so why not an A380 ?
Many airports are large international airports that can't serve A380s. This has to do with the width of the runways and taxiways, but also the load capacity (how much weight they can carry). Also the gates and ramp/apron layouts and parking bay size and locations though less of an issue
Old May 12, 2018, 11:46 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Many airports are large international airports that can't serve A380s. This has to do with the width of the runways and taxiways, but also the load capacity (how much weight they can carry). Also the gates and ramp/apron layouts and parking bay size and locations though less of an issue
I have the idea that AMS has only one ‘regular’ A380 gate, G9. Certainly the EK A380’s always leave from there. I have not done any research into what other airlines fly the A380 into AMS.
When we arrived there a month ago, G9 was apparently unavailable. We taxied to an apron location a bit out of the way. The engines were cut, but the captain announced that we were not ready to disembark yet and asked us to remain seated. A bit later a tug arrived and very carefully towed us to another gate (E pier). There were only 2 airbridges there, but one could be raised sufficiently to let us who were on the top deck off through the regular door. So the gate was somewhat but not completely ‘A380 ready’.
Old May 13, 2018, 3:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by thijsseh

I have the idea that AMS has only one ‘regular’ A380 gate, G9. Certainly the EK A380’s always leave from there. I have not done any research into what other airlines fly the A380 into AMS.
When we arrived there a month ago, G9 was apparently unavailable. We taxied to an apron location a bit out of the way. The engines were cut, but the captain announced that we were not ready to disembark yet and asked us to remain seated. A bit later a tug arrived and very carefully towed us to another gate (E pier). There were only 2 airbridges there, but one could be raised sufficiently to let us who were on the top deck off through the regular door. So the gate was somewhat but not completely ‘A380 ready’.
That happened to me the last time I arrived at AMS. G9 empty as we taxied past it, so not sure what's going on. It probably added 20 minutes to the arrival process as we all had to disembark down the front stairs - but they did hold the riff-raff back.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by euroxx
Changes I can see happening in 2018 or 2019

following destinations transferred to Fly Dubai:
MCT
LCA
MLA

Additional daily frequencies:
LIS
ARN
DUS
BCN
MAD
ZRH
WAW

NEW EK destinations:
AGP
HEL
MRS
PMI
DRW
CNS
WLG

New FlyDubai destinations with EK codeshare:
HER
JMK
NAP
PFO
AYT
VAR
CND
Add to new destinations OPO, its very likely and it is being said in Aviation posts here in Portugal

Last edited by Pepper456; Jul 23, 2018 at 5:31 pm
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:06 am

BOS has to be on the cusp of either getting its 2nd daily back (presumably another 77W, but more sensibly a 77L) OR getting the A380. It lacks (at least for the next couple years) a 'right-sized' plane such as a 787 that would fit the need admirably. But as JetBlue grows Boston, it would seem that feed between it and EK should grow as well.

STC risks getting a Pinnochio nose for talking about reinstating the U.S. cutbacks but not actually doing so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.