Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates orders 40 Boeing 787-10 Dreamliners at DAS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates orders 40 Boeing 787-10 Dreamliners at DAS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Interesting questions: How many seats per row in Y, will it suck like on other carriers?
Guessing it will be industry standard - 9. Don't think they could squeeze in a 10th even if they tried.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Guessing it will be industry standard - 9. Don't think they could squeeze in a 10th even if they tried.
Yes, but wasn't the plane designed for 8 and operators started installing 9 because they could just squeeze them in?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:27 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Yes, but wasn't the plane designed for 8 and operators started installing 9 because they could just squeeze them in?
I think the answer is pretty clear when you look at the seat width of nearly every Boeing made for the last 60 years.

707, 727, 737, 747, 777, and 787 all just happen to have fuselage widths that are neatly divided by 17" ±0.1" seats. I hardly think this is a coincidence.

There was certainly some window dressing about 8-across, but that yields seats and armrests that look more like tight PE. Boeing designs planes for 17" seats, regardless of what they claim.
skywardhunter and Seat54 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W
I think the answer is pretty clear when you look at the seat width of nearly every Boeing made for the last 60 years.

707, 727, 737, 747, 777, and 787 all just happen to have fuselage widths that are neatly divided by 17" ±0.1" seats. I hardly think this is a coincidence.

There was certainly some window dressing about 8-across, but that yields seats and armrests that look more like tight PE. Boeing designs planes for 17" seats, regardless of what they claim.
Did not know that, interesting, but does that account for the interior padding and air conditioning and width of aisles, which aren't always the exact same width as a seat, what about the lost space through the curvature of the fuselage and possibly an inch or two from armrests? Just seems that a couple inches more than 17" per seat might be required.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:49 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Did not know that, interesting, but does that account for the interior padding and air conditioning and width of aisles, which aren't always the exact same width as a seat, what about the lost space through the curvature of the fuselage and possibly an inch or two from armrests? Just seems that a couple inches more than 17" per seat might be required.
The 17" inch seat trend is after all fittings and the aisle are considered. All those planes truly have 17" ±0.1" seats.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by extramileage
Delivered in phases starting from... 2022. Maybe a new new J by then??
Yes, if they install new J class configured. You'll see.

Originally Posted by RichL
Kevin McAllister is gonna have a massive party.
Let the party begin!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:33 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
I'm excited yet somewhat disappointed. Personally prefer the A350s to the 787, as a passenger I never felt the benefit of the technological advances and thought the plain felt cheap
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:09 am

Edit on Wikipedia got reverted because 'Purchase commitments are not firm orders'.

Is this not a firm order?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:20 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
N830MH likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:01 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
I've found that the flying the 787 regularly has far fewer side effects than frequently flying on the 77W. I don't get to do it that often but I feel the difference when I do.

The cabin pressure, humidity and ride quality are far superior in the 787. I'm looking forward to flying these on DXB-EU routes!
Seat54 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:12 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by sydtogla
I've found that the flying the 787 regularly has far fewer side effects than frequently flying on the 77W. I don't get to do it that often but I feel the difference when I do.

The cabin pressure, humidity and ride quality are far superior in the 787. I'm looking forward to flying these on DXB-EU routes!
There was a thread on the BA forum where virtually everyone (including me) said they preferred the A350 over the B787. So, I'm a bit disappointed with this news.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: Skywards, Silver
The 787 would be ideal for the shorter routes between DXB and Europe/ME/India.
But I shiver with the thought of them replacing the 777's on some of the long-distance runs.

Never will I forget spending 3 days in bed with a blue, swollen foot after a lovely 10 hour trip in Y on a Qatar 787.
I also did not enjoy having to spend those 10 hours with my arms crossed, because resting them would mean my right elbow would get bumped by everyone passing through the aisle, and the left would be resting on the man-boob of my neighbour.

The 777 is already cramped as it is, but at least you don't have to share 50% of that cramped legroom with an entertainment box, and unless your neighbour is obese, you can actually rest your arms.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:19 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
There was a thread on the BA forum where virtually everyone (including me) said they preferred the A350 over the B787. So, I'm a bit disappointed with this news.
Cabin configurations aside, the only thing I noticed between them is that the XWB is slightly quieter. Then again my 350 experience was VN, and my 787 NZ and ANA....so it could be the service colouring my judgment.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marc Liljeqvist
The 787 would be ideal for the shorter routes between DXB and Europe/ME/India.
But I shiver with the thought of them replacing the 777's on some of the long-distance runs.

Never will I forget spending 3 days in bed with a blue, swollen foot after a lovely 10 hour trip in Y on a Qatar 787.
I also did not enjoy having to spend those 10 hours with my arms crossed, because resting them would mean my right elbow would get bumped by everyone passing through the aisle, and the left would be resting on the man-boob of my neighbour.

The 777 is already cramped as it is, but at least you don't have to share 50% of that cramped legroom with an entertainment box, and unless your neighbour is obese, you can actually rest your arms.
I don't think the man-boob is on the minimum equipment list, so hopefully EK won't include it.

On a serious note: the old 777s have entertainment boxes, this is more an issue with the seat manufacturer and actual IFE design, as far as I can tell the latest versions of EK's ICE don't have any underseat box, or if they do it's very narrow and flat under the seat - I don't see why the same couldn't be implemented in a 787.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by sydtogla
Cabin configurations aside, the only thing I noticed between them is that the XWB is slightly quieter. Then again my 350 experience was VN, and my 787 NZ and ANA....so it could be the service colouring my judgment.
Yeah, my experience of both were on QR. The A350 was very much quieter, and just seemed a bit more comfortable (for the 45 minutes we were in the air - DOH-DXB)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.