Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage Tampering at JNB!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by Saltire74
As my bag bag appeared on the belt, I noticed the expander zip was open, the strap was very loose and padlock missing.

S
I had this happen to me last week arriving at DXB.

It was the dummies at the TSA in the US (they always leave a note behind) that had opened the bag for a security check, messed up the combination on the built-in lock on the case, and didn't even zip it properly back up.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 1:22 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ioto1902
I wonder how they planned to retrieve the goods from OP.
It may have just been a trial - to be followed up by more "shipments" if the first bag gets through customs okay.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
I hope OP's experience will remain an isolated one. Though I do remember the pre-World Cup (and airport upgrade) days at JNB when almost every time I arrived there (on both EK and SAA) my luggage had been tampered with. Once I even had a big black shoeprint on the inside of the suitcase lid
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:34 am

. . . I don’t think too many people self refer themselves to customs at GLA
I used the red phone once. I think the officers wherever it connects to were hearing it for the first time.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:29 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by extramileage
I had this happen to me last week arriving at DXB.

It was the dummies at the TSA in the US (they always leave a note behind) that had opened the bag for a security check, messed up the combination on the built-in lock on the case, and didn't even zip it properly back up.
I know if departing PEK, security would either leave a note in the luggage after a manual search or would bring it to the gate prior to boarding but neither of those things happened so can only imagine it happened in DXB.

Originally Posted by ft101
I used the red phone once. I think the officers wherever it connects to were hearing it for the first time.
Must have been a shock to them

S
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:48 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
You definitely done the right thing AlwaysOnTheRoad.

I had had a slightly similar situation last year coming from PEK through DXB arriving in GLA albeit I thankfully didn’t have all the additional ‘luggage’.

As my bag bag appeared on the belt, I noticed the expander zip was open, the strap was very loose and padlock missing. I mentioned it at the luggage desk and they asked me to check inside which I did and nothing seemed amiss however still wasn’t entirely happy so as I walked through customs, I approached the Customs Officer, explained someone had been through my bag and asked if he could scan it to make sure there wasn’t anything in the lining which he was quite happy to do. He did look surprised though as I don’t think too many people self refer themselves to customs at GLA .

Thankfully nothing untoward in my case but it does happen as has been shown in your experience.

S
They are usually too busy counting the multiple cartons of B&H and 1L plastic bottles of Larios Gin to notice at GLA
Saltire74 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.