Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates chief open to working closely with Etihad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates chief open to working closely with Etihad

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:50 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by ioto1902
Dubai to Abu Dhabi in 12 minutes with Hyperloop ...
Not in this lifetime!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:29 am

Linking all the airports isnt really that difficult. Maybe the National Railway delay of phase two linking Abu Dhabi, and Dubai is a blessing.

A few new re designs, and a 300 kilometer an hour plus dedicated link is very possible. The original plan was to have a 160 kph pax train which l always thought was not fast enough.

Ali three airports DXB, DWC, and AUH could be used.

Pax would transfer at their arriving airport if the connecting flight is up to two hours. Anything over two hours pax could connect at a different airport.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by NOIR
Linking all the airports isnt really that difficult. Maybe the National Railway delay of phase two linking Abu Dhabi, and Dubai is a blessing.

A few new re designs, and a 300 kilometer an hour plus dedicated link is very possible. The original plan was to have a 160 kph pax train which l always thought was not fast enough.

Pax would transfer at their arriving airport if the connecting flight is up to two hours. Anything over two hours pax could connect at a different airport.
The issue with anything faster than 200km/h is whether there's enough distance to get up to speed. Trains need a long way to accelerate and decelerate. Investing an extra 3bn to add 100km/h to the top speed which the train can only achieve for 7 minutes might not make much sense. But yeah a geographically diverse setup as you mention could work In think as well, it'll help congestion and if done right be rather seamless
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:39 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum

I admire your optimism
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Neither are DXB & AUH only an hour apart. Closer to 2 than 1 in my experience.
If you drive at 160km/h on the Abu Dhabi stretch of the Sheikh Zayed Road like most people do, it's pretty close to an hour. I have done Satwa to AUH in just over an hour
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
The issue with anything faster than 200km/h is whether there's enough distance to get up to speed. Trains need a long way to accelerate and decelerate. Investing an extra 3bn to add 100km/h to the top speed which the train can only achieve for 7 minutes might not make much sense. But yeah a geographically diverse setup as you mention could work In think as well, it'll help congestion and if done right be rather seamless
The additional billions wouldnt just be spent linking the airports, the infrastructure would also be shared by the original UAE, and GCC Nacional Railway planed grid. The Airport Express would just share.parts of the track, and exit at the airports. The original plan stays the same with all the original stations.

If l were incharge l would start by sitting all the Railway heads at one table, and asking them how can we link each airport with a travel time of 20 minutes max P2P?? What do we need to do to acheive our objective?

I have had so many discussions regarding this topic, and the frustrating delay to DWC build.
The more the delay the harder it is to commit.

To be honest if EK, and EY were to merge, why would they even build the DWC mega airport? Leave DXB the way it is, leave DWC as it is focussing on leisure, LCC, and cargo. AUH has alot more room left to build an additional terminal, and runways, and there you go, you have just saved the country 50 billion USD by not expanding DWC, and justifying all the investment that was spent on DXB, and AUH. What does it matter where what is if its a merger, its all about us instead of l.

The merged name could also be called Emirates because it represents the whole country, but the name could also be difficult if egos get in the way od logic.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:34 am

The additional billions wouldnt just be spent linking the airports, the infrastructure would also be shared by the original UAE, and GCC Nacional Railway planed grid. The Airport Express would just share.parts of the track, and exit at the airports. The original plan stays the same with all the original stations.

If l were incharge l would start by sitting all the Railway heads at one table, and asking them how can we link each airport with a travel time of 20 minutes max P2P?? What do we need to do to acheive our objective?

I have had so many discussions regarding this topic, and the frustrating delay to DWC build.
The more the delay the harder it is to commit.

To be honest if EK, and EY were to merge, why would they even build the DWC mega airport? Leave DXB the way it is, leave DWC as it is focussing on leisure, LCC, and cargo. AUH has alot more room left to build an additional terminal, and runways, and there you go, you have just saved the country 50 billion USD by not expanding DWC, and justifying all the investment that was spent on DXB, and AUH. What does it matter where what is if its a merger, its all about us instead of l.

The merged name could also be called Emirates because it represents the whole country, but the name could also be difficult if egos get in the way od logic.
I was thinking about the name, too. Emirates makes more sense, but Etihad is "the national carrier" and as you say egos may prevail.

The problem with keeping just DXB is that it's struggling with capacity even with just EK. T1 and the D gates are just a distraction, ignoring apron and runway movements the terminals themselves are near max throughput, so long-term this means moving EK flights to AUH, of course it all depends on how the merged entity works. It'd be hard to agree how to split the route network, or would it be random, like how one now might get an A gate today and a C gate tomorrow? Or have anything under 2000 miles from AUH and anything longer from DXB?

Regarding the rail, of course it connects more than the airports, but even DXB-AUH I don't see a high-speed train getting up to speed for a meaningful stretch of the line, a maglev probably makes the most sense.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:46 am

The mind screw is what to do with DXB, and AUH, and all the money ivested if you go ahead with DWC. Another question l ask myself do they really need DWC, and could growth sustiain that huge airport?

With so much fake news these days, you cant get a clear picture if airframes are really parked due to slow demand, or is it maintenance.

If EK has really leveled out than they dont need to jave na expansion plan.
NoY likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by NoY
Not in this lifetime!
It depends on your age

Joke aside, for those having technical interrogations, the French TGV currently links two cities 150km apart in 46 minutes, or 82km apart in 26 minutes. That's station to station.

If you consider the current transfer at DXB with bus ride + walk all the way to the end of the terminal, a half-hour high-speed ride is not scandaleous.

This said, a merger won't necessarily mean the disappearance of one of the two brands, EY and EK can coexist, with two different positioning though.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
I don’t think it’s as difficult as many here are making it out to be.
South Asian and US traffic could use DXB, being that it’s closer to the part of Dubai most South Asians would want to access and the logical connection between the US and South Asia via the UAE.
DWC would best suit European and Australasian traffic, firstly because of the number of direct connections between the two and secondly being that it’s close to the part of Dubai most of these visitors would want to access.
AUH for both Short haul and Far East traffic because (for Far East flights) these would be long flights and with less volume. Also, less (imo) short connections due to the the longer flights. I’d recommend it for local traffic too because the locals would appreciate the more reserved and local atmosphere of Abu Dhabi as well as there being more locals in the AUH area.

Link the three by rail, it doesn’t even need to be high speed, just make sure the frequency is good, like 4-6 trains per hour, and implement minimum connection times,

DXB-DWC and DWC-DXB - 2.5 hours
DXB-AUH and AUH-DXB - 3.5 hours
DWC-AUH and AUH-DWC - 2.5 hours

There are other considerations of course for example:

Whilst most Indians wouldn’t connect to the Far East via Dubai because there are plenty of direct options, Pakistanis wouldn’t find the idea so feeble because there aren’t so many direct connections from Pakistan to East Asia.
Whilst there are huge numbers of South Asians using EK and EY to get to the US, this is perhaps offset by the greater demand of European to Australilasian traffic.
I haven’t really any knowledge what African flights’ customers main demands are so I’ll leave it up for debate which airport those flights should use.

Last edited by akalra1187; Oct 12, 2017 at 7:46 pm
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:36 pm
NoY

Originally Posted by ioto1902
It depends on your age

Joke aside, for those having technical interrogations, the French TGV currently links two cities 150km apart in 46 minutes, or 82km apart in 26 minutes. That's station to station.

If you consider the current transfer at DXB with bus ride + walk all the way to the end of the terminal, a half-hour high-speed ride is not scandaleous.

This said, a merger won't necessarily mean the disappearance of one of the two brands, EY and EK can coexist, with two different positioning though.
Haha. Fair point! I guess, as someone who has worked here & lives here for the majority of the year (unfortunately), I am just a teeny bit cynical about it getting done here.....in my lifetime
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:05 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by akalra1187
I don’t think it’s as difficult as many here are making it out to be.
South Asian and US traffic could use DXB, being that it’s closer to the part of Dubai most South Asians would want to access and the logical connection between the US and South Asia via the UAE.
DWC would best suit European and Australasian traffic, firstly because of the number of direct connections between the two and secondly being that it’s close to the part of Dubai most of these visitors would want to access.
AUH for both Short haul and Far East traffic because (for Far East flights) these would be long flights and with less volume. Also, less (imo) short connections due to the the longer flights. I’d recommend it for local traffic too because the locals would appreciate the more reserved and local atmosphere of Abu Dhabi as well as there being more locals in the AUH area.

Link the three by rail, it doesn’t even need to be high speed, just make sure the frequency is good, like 4-6 trains per hour, and implement minimum connection times,

DXB-DWC and DWC-DXB - 2.5 hours
DXB-AUH and AUH-DXB - 3.5 hours
DWC-AUH and AUH-DWC - 2.5 hours

There are other considerations of course for example:

Whilst most Indians wouldn’t connect to the Far East via Dubai because there are plenty of direct options, Pakistanis wouldn’t find the idea so feeble because there aren’t so many direct connections from Pakistan to East Asia.
Whilst there are huge numbers of South Asians using EK and EY to get to the US, this is perhaps offset by the greater demand of European to Australilasian traffic.
I haven’t really any knowledge what African flights’ customers main demands are so I’ll leave it up for debate which airport those flights should use.
So, you're saying that if a European wanted to get to South Asia, they have to fly to DWC and then get a train to DXB? Not going to happen.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:56 am

So, you're saying that if a European wanted to get to South Asia, they have to fly to DWC and then get a train to DXB? Not going to happen.
I take a train every single time I transit DXB. From B to A and back, to enjoy the A lounge. If that train ride were a little more comfortable and took 30 minutes instead of 3, it could work. It'd be an entirely new concept of airport layout/travel, of course, but there's an argument to be made that it can work.
akalra1187 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

My take on this is that DXB will be an all-EK airport within the next 10 years. All the other airlines at DXB will be shunted to DWC. This would then give the option to expand by extending / modernizing T2 to EK standards. Adding a fast shuttle/train between the T1/T3 & T2 would be a lot cheaper than to DWC/AUH.

As for EY, maybe there will be a working relationship and some codeshares, with an overall reduction in some of the duplicated routes. For example, my local airport has 3 EK & 2 EY flights per day, plus 3 QR and 1 OM. I doubt very much they all go out full, so rationalising some of the EK/EY flights would increase yields and cut costs... probably
Old Oct 13, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: EK G̶o̶l̶d̶ S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ 'boarding zone F', IHG
My take on this is that DXB will be an all-EK airport within the next 10 years. All the other airlines at DXB will be shunted to DWC. This would then give the option to expand by extending / modernizing T2 to EK standards. Adding a fast shuttle/train between the T1/T3 & T2 would be a lot cheaper than to DWC/AUH.
Interesting - would they not rather move EK to DWC and leave the existing DXB setup for all other airlines? Appreciate DWC is (or feels) a bit more 'remote', but then EK would get first dibs on the shiny new (and bigger) airport. Plus a quicker connection to AUH if this partnership does indeed happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.