Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

UR to KA Skypass for Emirates Upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Looking to buy economy on emirates from JFK -> DXB -> BKK and then use Korean Air Skypass miles to upgrade. I've called both airlines, Chase and Amex and no one seems to know the other's side of the equation.

Has anyone transferred Chase points to Korean Air Skypass and used them to upgrade an Emirates flight?

Emirates rep says only Skywards miles can be used for upgrade.
Korean rep says Skypass miles can only be used for purchase (not upgrade).
Chase & Amex say 'call the airline'.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I've not heard of partner miles being used to upgrade before and I am not sure if that is in fact possible. You could try tweeting to @EmiratesSupport (and also reviewing the Partner's page on the Emirates website which usually lists the earn and burn possibilities)
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
skywardhunter’s experience mirrors mine. Try tweeting EK. I am a little confused as to why AMEX is involved in your Chase UR to KA transfer. AMEX points transfer 1 to 1 into Skywards miles (I see you are a US Resident) so you wouldn’t have any problem there (many of us do this regularly and the transfer is near instant).
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
A few other thoughts as to why I don't think this is possible (and is it with any airline?)

When purchasing a revenue ticket from EK, they act as the travel agent (and in fact are registered as a TA with IATA), typically another TA cannot just touch, modify or amend a booking not made by them. When wanting to upgrade with Skypass miles KE as your TA would have to make a change to the booking, which they wouldn't be able to.

Effectively KE will pay EK cash for the upgrade, and you pay KE with miles, so it's relatively straight forward ticket change, but I don't think such a mechanism to process an upgrade in this way exists. Even if wanting to upgrade a Y Award to a J Award my understanding is that it is cancelled and a new one issued, rather than amended.

Lastly if no redemption chart is published this would be a give away. Being unfamiliar with Skypass I'm not sure how easy redemption charts are to access in general so this might not be helpful.

Ultimately this is a 50:50 whether this question is best answered here in the EK forum or rather by the Skypass forum, as it ultimately revolves around Skypass redemption.

EDIT: Just realised OP had written KA, should be KE = Korean Air. KA = Cathay Dragon
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:14 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
You can only upgrade using Emirates Skywards miles.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks all

Appreciate the intel and advice. My hopes weren't high, but if you don't ask you don't get.

I've had good experiences with Amex travel agents in the past, usually they're pretty knowledgeable about points. That's why I included them in the discussion, however they weren't of any help here. Also with the recent change in Platinum companion tickets there's no real benefit to be had there either (only about a $250 difference in fare vs. booking lowest published rate for 2 people).

I'll try tweeting to Emirates as a last resort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.