Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates and flydubai announce 29 codeshare routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex

29 destinations from the FZ network, including two existing EK destinations, PRG, MCT and KWI. No mention of FZ codeshares on EK metal.

Relevant to EK customers:
- When booked together, as part of the codeshare, Emirates passengers will receive complimentary meals and the Emirates checked baggage allowance on flights operated by flydubai in both Business and Economy Classes.
- In this first phase of the partnership, Emirates Skywards members can earn Skywards miles and Skywards Tier Miles on codeshare flights as per the existing Skywards mileage programme.
- In addition to the Emirates free checked baggage allowance, Skywards Premium members can also enjoy their extra checked baggage allowances of 20kg (Platinum members), 16kg (Gold members) and 12kg (Silver members) on codeshare flights operated by flydubai.
- Skywards Silver, Gold and Platinum members travelling on codeshare flights can access flydubai’s Business Check-in counters and receive priority tags.
- Further benefits for members of each airlines’ frequent flyer and loyalty programmes will be announced in due course
- Minimum Connection Time from T3 to T2 flights to reduced to 120 minutes

"Today’s announcement is an initial phase of the extensive agreement that will, in future phases, see the creation of additional city pair connections as the codeshare agreement is expanded and both airlines’ networks are optimised. "

Full text and list of destinations here:
https://www.emirates.com/media-centr...lore-the-world

Last edited by extramileage; Oct 3, 2017 at 9:03 am Reason: forgot MCT
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Nice, I don't see this as a negative at all for EK customers. Not until they begin replacing EK metal flights with FZ metal flights, but as there is no real overlap yet with the routes that won't be happening too soon by the looks of it. Plus given the surplus of aircraft EK is facing I doubt there'll be a rush to replace those routes with FZ aircraft unless EK can deploy those aircraft to new routes, additional frequencies or dispose of the aircraft in some other way.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Codeshares are largely meaningless without some sort of JV or revenue sharing agreement, as the fares end up being uncompetitive
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Codeshares are largely meaningless without some sort of JV or revenue sharing agreement, as the fares end up being uncompetitive
EK's code share arrangements have, in my experience, historically just been a high fare tack-on to the base ticket, so you are very much correct in that manner.

Given that the ultimate shareholders here are essentially the same, maybe they will have more motivation and incentive to make it interesting.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't flydubai a LCC? I'm trying to imagine FAs giving free meals only to some coach passengers. It seems strange.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't flydubai a LCC? I'm trying to imagine FAs giving free meals only to some coach passengers. It seems strange.
Flydubai is a LCC, but not a hard core one like Ryan Air or Spirit. For example, Flydubai offers business class service (akin to US domestic 2-class first class, with Personal IFE).

Regarding food, some LCC carriers already offer the ability to pre-buy food or provide free meals as part of higher fare buckets. So totally doable based on the pax manifest list or even a voucher.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:04 am

Sounds like how the US3 LCCs operate, don't they only hand out free drinks/meals to some pax?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Sounds like how the US3 LCCs operate, don't they only hand out free drinks/meals to some pax?
If you're referring to the USA legacy airlines, on domestic flights (that are long enough and occur at mealtimes), DL serves meals in FC and offers free drinks and a special snack basket to those in C+ seats (the first few rows of coach with extra legroom). AFAIK AA gives free snacks (not meals) and one alcoholic drink to top tier elites in coach; it's not the same as serving a hot meal to only certain coach passengers.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:09 am
Original Poster

...but I will say that, ops integration aside, many on this board have also questioned how the partnership will work from a brand, service quality and expectations point of view.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:14 am
Original Poster

it's not the same as serving a hot meal to only certain coach passengers.
I think the EK ticketed pax will have the option of one of the meals/snacks available for cash to the rest of the pax.

Menu:
https://www.flydubai.com/en/media/fz...tcm8-91942.pdf

Just noticed that you can pre-order a meal on flights over 90 minutes, so definitely doable.
https://www.flydubai.com/en/flying-w...ood-and-drinks
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:28 am

If you're referring to the USA legacy airlines, on domestic flights (that are long enough and occur at mealtimes), DL serves meals in FC and offers free drinks and a special snack basket to those in C+ seats (the first few rows of coach with extra legroom). AFAIK AA gives free snacks (not meals) and one alcoholic drink to top tier elites in coach; it's not the same as serving a hot meal to only certain coach passengers.
Yes the legacy LCCs, what is served in FC (not that it can be called that) is not relevant to a conversation about selective free meals being service in economy, apples and pears and such...

But yes probably it will be as extramileage points out, that they can select for free from the BOB, most LCCs allow one to pre-purchase such a meal anyway and there will be a system in place to redeem such a voucher, presuambly EK pax would simply have such a voucher attached to their BP. That's how Indian LCCs do it, I've not travelled on FZ but I'm sure it's similar.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Would've loved to see KTM on this list!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Not bad perks so far from FZ , I'm sure more to follow ...
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:42 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Great to see MCT and KWI as this is great for business travelers. FZ usually has better timing and T2 is quicker in/out than T3 with the benefit of earning Tier
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:07 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
I’m growing increasingly curious about the economics of FZ. I know they announced a half-year loss but they seem like a generally healthy growing company. That said, I’ve actually never flown FZ so pardon my ignorance here.

- Why is EK cannibalizing themselves on intra-Gulf routes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.