Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What time does check in open?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GHA Gold Priority Club Gold,Etihad Guest,EK Skywards,BA exec and QR privilege
What time does check in open?

We're flying F on EK8 (09:10 departure) in November and I need lots of time at the airport as I expect some problems checking in my wifes travel mobility scooter(Scootcase if anyone is familiar)
Before I booked I spent 40 mins on the phone to EK customer service struggling to get over to him exactly what we were taking.

I have arranged CD for 05:00 from the hotel near Heathrow so should be in the airport by 05:30.

Nearly forgot, what time does the lounge open? we won't be having breakfast at the hotel.

We're flying on to SIN and I've booked the 01:20 out of SIN on the return,I assume there will be no problems with times of lounge as EK have a number of flights out.

Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GHA Gold Priority Club Gold,Etihad Guest,EK Skywards,BA exec and QR privilege
I had to phone Emirates today about something else and got the most efficient and helpful agent. The airport check in desks open 4 hours before departure and seems to be the same across the EK outstations.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:42 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by SuanLum
I had to phone Emirates today about something else and got the most efficient and helpful agent. The airport check in desks open 4 hours before departure and seems to be the same across the EK outstations.
That's definitely not correct. I remember turning up somewhere (maybe MRU) about 4 hours before the flight, and had to wait 2 hours before the check in opened.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That's definitely not correct. I remember turning up somewhere (maybe MRU) about 4 hours before the flight, and had to wait 2 hours before the check in opened.
It's t-3 and later in some places!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:45 pm

The airport check in desks open 4 hours before departure and seems to be the same across the EK outstations.
Not in my main one (GLA) either. Always 3.5 hours there.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.
So much for praising the agent I spoke to. We're flying First if that makes any difference.
The agent checked all our CD pick up times and actually brought the one in SIN forward by one hour. I cannot believe he would have us at the airport long before the desks open.
Obviously I can check in online and use whatever bag drop facilities they have.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
This is a management issue. Agents are told to tell pax to be there 4hrs before the flight so EK can't be held liable when you arrive late. The agent probably doesn't know better as they've not been on the ground at every outstation.

SIN has lots of EK flights so check-in might be open much earlier, some outstations have almost 24/7 check-in due to the number and spacing of flights.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:32 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Just as another example, PEK can be either 3 or 3.5 hrs before departure

S
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, Qatar Platinum
We're flying First if that makes any difference.
This will make a massive difference, as you will essentially be seen straight away, and the actual EK rep at the airport isn't too far away usually. They also tend to be the more experienced check in agents on the F desk at outstations, or at least in my experience.

I arrived 3 hours early for EK8 last week, and was in the lounge - absolutely not drinking alcohol - at 6.30am after a stop at Boots.

I don't have any experience of checking in what you are suggesting, but I cannot imagine it will be something new for the team at Heathrow, but you never know!
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
For the vast majority of airlines away from their home bases check in will be open a minimum of 3 hours before departure for international flights. At some airports it can be earlier.

There are also times when an airline might have more than one departure and will allow check in for both opening 3 hours before the first departure.

I have also seen airlines opening their check in earlier than planned because of queues building up (Manchester) although elsewhere "rules are rules"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.