Wiki Posts
Search

Flaps...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

Flaps...

Passing through DXB the other day, I noticed that all the parked A380s had their leading edge flaps* deployed. I didn't see any 777s, so not sure if they were the same.

Usually, the flaps are retracted on the taxi back to the terminal.

Anyone know the reason for this? I'm guessing it's temperature related, as it wasn't like that at MAN.

*Not sure flaps is the right word, but you know what I mean.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Slats. Might be temperature related, or maintenance but unlikely that they're checking that many aircraft at once. My first thought was to counter strong winds and stabilise the aircraft on the ground, but Slats increase lift, so that wouldn't make sense.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:08 am
Original Poster

It was very calm. I noticed it initially when we left the plane on arrival at DXB. I thought it must have been a one off. But the following morning every A380 I saw (maybe 4) had them down.

I though slats were slightly different than flaps? Actually, I've just checked, and they're called "droops" on the A380.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It was very calm. I noticed it initially when we left the plane on arrival at DXB. I thought it must have been a one off. But the following morning every A380 I saw (maybe 4) had them down.

I though slats were slightly different than flaps? Actually, I've just checked, and they're called "droops" on the A380.
Yeah there are 3 kind of forward "devices", Flaps, Slats and Drop or Droop. Quick Google of slats made it look similar to the A380 but didn't actually check the specifics of the A380.

​​​​​
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:39 am

This is the kind of question that an EK lurker could answer, by talking to technical
JasperT likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I thought the leading edge high lift devices deployment was automatically linked with the trailing edge flaps.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: BA | VS | UA | DL
It's an Airbus thing in high outside air temps. The flaps / slats are left in a certain setting while on the ground. This allows for cooling to stop a false air bleed leak warning.

Can't find the reference in the books at the mo but it's something like the above!
ashivraj likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phunc
It's an Airbus thing in high outside air temps. The flaps / slats are left in a certain setting while on the ground. This allows for cooling to stop a false air bleed leak warning.

Can't find the reference in the books at the mo but it's something like the above!
Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:40 pm

I've seen it on LH too on the A330/A340 when it is hot outside.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:49 pm

When temperature is 30 degrees Celcius or higher leading edge slats will be extended on the A380 (was the same on the 330/340).

I'm not exactly sure why but the power ports for each individual seat won't work, so you'll have to wait until after take off to be able to charge your devices.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, OneWorld (BA) Emerald
The spoilers are lifted slightly during flap retraction. When I went through on Monday I noticed the flaps deployed to position 2. This isnt a normal A380 operations and must be specific to EK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.