Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Shoutout to EK Crew - Medical Urgency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold

I say Medical Urgency as it wasn't an Emergency, since we didn't divert. EK 529 HYD-DXB, on the climbout from HYD, barely 5-10 mins after departure I noticed several FAs attending to a pax in the same row as me in the far window seat. They hooked up a full heart rate monitor, two FAs + Purser attending and wearing gloves and a lot of medical equipment, bottle of oxygen appeared and pax was put on Oxygen. Required support walking down aisle to lav.

Didn't want to pry but seriously expected we would return to HYD or divert to BOM but then dinner service began (all this in J), asked an FA if everything was ok, apparently a blood sugar issue, and pax had insulin. 60% into flight and request for medical doctors is made, 20 minutes later a request for a glucometer (2 doctors appeared quite rapidly and must've requested this, which was also apparently quite easily available from other pax).

Just want to commend the entire crew, at all times there were 2 FAs attending with the purser checking every few minutes, and saw her type notes on tablet/laptop device which must've resulted in the paramedics that eventually greeted the flight.

Despite all of this service was smooth and attentive, in fact I was pro-actively offered desert for a change and didn't sit for ages with an empty tray after finishing dinner.

I do wonder whether a diversion wouldn't have been the better decision, from an airmanship perspective, the pilots must've been quite satisfied that the pax was stable and in no imminent danger, though then the request for doctors I again thought, here we go to MCT (as we were within 100nm at that point)... Anyway, good job EK.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:31 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Good to hear although no doubt even when calling for onboard doctors, the captain would have been in contact with Medlink (or something like that or whatever equivalent EK uses). I'm sure it was on one of the Dubai Airport episodes (series 3).

In my nursing days, we had a medical situation on a VS flight travelling LOS-LHR and I offered my services on the second call. I ended up in the flight deck speaking on the sat phone to medical staff on the ground going through the pax/patients condition, vitals etc. Quite surreal when I think about it.

Once again, bravo to the crew and reminds us all that they are not only there to serve tea or coffee, chicken or fish

S
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
It is Medlink for EK yes!

Remember skywardhunter - you may wonder if a div is best airmanship wise - but the financial cost of diversions for a large commercial jet are HUGE (compared to a light aircraft!), so if pax can be stabilised safely (which by the sound of it the crew did a fantastic job with doc and Medlink support) then absolutely continue to destination!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
I think a email to EK to show appreciation to the crew is in order !
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by theox
It is Medlink for EK yes!

Remember skywardhunter - you may wonder if a div is best airmanship wise - but the financial cost of diversions for a large commercial jet are HUGE (compared to a light aircraft!), so if pax can be stabilised safely (which by the sound of it the crew did a fantastic job with doc and Medlink support) then absolutely continue to destination!
Cost shouldn't factor in, unfortunately with big airlines like EK it almost certainly does of course. Ultimately the PIC is responsible and if there is anything but absolutely certainty about the patient's condition a diversion is the safe choice. In such cases the PIC should never be punished for making that decision. As it was shortly after take off on a short sector the aircraft could've probably landed back at HYD without dumping and within 10-15 minutes.

The fact they administered oxygen and the condition apparently deteriorated sufficiently to request assistance of doctors onboard and only then a glucometer was requested makes me wonder, but hard to tell without all the facts. Have had doctors requested before with no resultant diversion, just seeing the situation up close this time appeared less stable.

Anyway the point wasn't to criticize the pilots for continuing, I don't have enough facts to do that, the crew handled it all really well, which I also wrote as a feedback compliment to EK on their website.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Have been in a situation when I've responded to such a medical issue (in my case a diabetic whose glucose was so low that she became unresponsive) -as well as considering the urgency of the onboard situation one has also got to figure out what type of facilities are available at the nearest airport. The on board medical kit is amazingly well stocked and the majority of issues can be handled safely and as (if not more) efficiently on board provided there is a physican who is capable of understanding and prepared to manage the problem with the drugs available, than landing in a place with limited facilities.
In my situation I was able to give a drug intravenously to correct the glucose. Looked dramatic but very straightforward for those with medical background.
Kudos to the crew for managing this appropriately - a lot of these issues look more dramatic than they are.
Castigate likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.