Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discovery Vitality Booking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum, SAA Voyager blue!
A CT meet up sounds great. I also plan to be around in September.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
You've got more patience than me! I thought I go to the gym kind of regularly but still stuck on the lowest tier.

Nice to know I'm not the only one freezing my butt off here in CPT
Howzit my Capetonian flyertalkers. I'm on Diamond with Vitality. Happy to help offer any advice to get you there quickly. I'm using the 35% discount for EK flights in Aug and for flights to CPT on Kulula in Oct.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Booflyer1
The tickets booked on discovery are classed as special fares below flex and saver fares.
These fares whilst being cheap earn you minimal poit's and upgrades are impossible
I just checked a booking I made this week on EK's site through Discovery. Fare outgoing shows as FLEX. Fare incoming shows as SAVER. Also based on flight I took on EK to JFK in May, the case was the same. Confirmed this on my mileage statement.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:14 pm

It's like a 20 or 30% discount but only the base fare which ex SA is like 40% if the total fare. So ultimately like a 8% discount. + The same flights I was looking at on EK for 9k were 16k on Discovery last week + no multi city.

Another good option is ebucks, also only on base fare (I'm on the level where I get 20% off) and you can do multi city but again I wasn't able to get the same starting fare as in EK. For other flights in the same date I got the price of R9k but after discount it was still R8400, so only 7% effective discount.
Hi Skywardhunter. I just did a cost comparison between Vitality and eBucks for an upcoming trip. I'm a member of both - Diamond with Vitality and working my way up to Level 5 on eBucks. Vitality's 35% discount (at diamond) was actually on the base fare AND the YQ tax whereas eBucks level 5's 40% discount is only on the base.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Seaforth
A CT meet up sounds great. I also plan to be around in September.
Please keep me posted about a CPT meetup in Sept too. Would be great to meet you all.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:32 pm

I wish

Even SA Amex MR don't transfer to EK. I quite like ebucks though, managed to get a few free tanks of petrol that way.
eBucks earned by using an FNB credit card can be used to pay for Emirates flights but they can't be converted into Skywards miles unfortunately.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by whatsthepoint
Please keep me posted about a CPT meetup in Sept too. Would be great to meet you all.

Hey whatsthepoint,

Take a look here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1855015-cape-town-do-september-2017-a.html
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:29 am

Hey whatsthepoint,

Take a look here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1855015-cape-town-do-september-2017-a.html
awesome thanks! In my diary
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:17 am

JHB guys getting shafted lol.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by MT_Switch
JHB guys getting shafted lol.
All are welcome!
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
So sorry , i know it is not relevant , but no one has a clue on the BA forum. Asking here as i know there are people who might know ...

Bit confused if i used my Discovery Vitality flight discount benefits when booking on Kulula.com if it would be classed as a ," agency or industry discounted booking." ? Kulula.com is owned by BA ( Comair) in South Africa , so i guess it is the same as booking a flight direct with BA , but just on an another official website. However due to the flight discount coming in due to the Discovery vitality membership discount , does then that qualify as a discounted booking/travel agent booking ? Fyi- Kulula.com not only sells tickets for their own airline, Kulula , but also British Airways operated by Comair , as they are both owned by Comair.

Really do not want fork out heaps of cash , and then miss out on getting eligible flights going towards tier renewal ....
Any advice most appreciated
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flame3601
So sorry , i know it is not relevant , but no one has a clue on the BA forum. Asking here as i know there are people who might know ...

Any advice most appreciated
Not a 100% answer to your question, but as far as Emirates is converned, my booking is with a travel agent. Otherwise it is perfectly normal.

If you have booked a BA flight through the kulula site, you should be good TP wise, but that is only an educated guess! Please let us know how it goes!
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by RichardAtCT
Not a 100% answer to your question, but as far as Emirates is converned, my booking is with a travel agent. Otherwise it is perfectly normal.

If you have booked a BA flight through the kulula site, you should be good TP wise, but that is only an educated guess! Please let us know how it goes!
Will do , might not risk it thou and just book normally via BA.com and skip the 25% DV discount sadly. Would be really really annoyed on being bumped down to Silver with BA over cocking up the eligible flights count for tier renewal
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:40 am

Update

Originally Posted by RichardAtCT

Just booked BA flights via Kulula.com with DV discount for kids and wife back to the UK next year during the holidays , 3 paxs for R29 000 during June/July '18 holidays - utter steal ! Even got free seat selection for them , so i think it is safe to say that it would qualify as a "eligible flight " towards tier progression within BA Exec club ! However not too sure with Emirates ...

Very happy thou about the 29K price tag !
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:40 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Just booked BA flights via Kulula.com with DV discount for kids and wife back to the UK next year during the holidays , 3 paxs for R29 000 during June/July '18 holidays - utter steal ! Even got free seat selection for them , so i think it is safe to say that it would qualify as a "eligible flight " towards tier progression within BA Exec club ! However not too sure with Emirates ...

Very happy thou about the 29K price tag !
R10K each? Must be in J i guess 🙄😏?
Mrs t flew return CPT/LGW on EK in Y for around R8K in January.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.