Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Difference between Smart Gates and eGates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver

I am slightly confused by what the difference is

If I signed up to Smart Gates in Abu Dhabi, can I use Smart Gates when flying out of and into Dubai? It feels like Smart Gates is an Abu Dhabi thing, whereas eGates is a Dubai thing.

For what it's worth, I'm not a UAE resident nor am I enrolled with Skywards, meaning I would only have my ePassport not an e-gate card to use.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: SPG, HHonors
E-Gates are a program where the traveller has been heavily vetted by the UAE Authorities and a special card is issued allowing the user to clear customs at an automated Kiosk using a fingerprint rather than lining up and talking to an agent. E-Gate is only available to UAE citizens and residents and a few selected other categories. It is similar to Global Entry / EasyPass / Privium / Australian SmartGate.

SmartGate (UAE) is like the APC (Automated Passport Control) kiosks in the USA, whereby the implantation in the UAE allows all passport holder of Visa-Waiver or Visa-on-Arrival nations to use the SmartGates to electronically clear customs as well. And, like the US APC (not GlobalEntry) program, you do NOT need to pre-apply or have any special membership to use it.

And, much like entry to the US, you may be asking "what is the advantage of E-GATE over SmartGate - it looks like the same thing". Well, that may be true at the moment but as more and more people get shunted through the SmartGates, the queues will become longer and the advantage of E-Gates being a vetted program and thereby having shorter lines will re-emerge.

Also you can use the E-Gate system for departure customs clearance as well while there are no SmartGates installed for that purpose.

So for the moment it seems like E-Gates and SmartGates are essentially the same thing with E-gates promising faster clearance due to potentially shorter lines and also due to the vetting you have received when signing up for the program.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Thanks that's interesting

I think they are now one and the same at Dxb ie they do passports and cards - I'm not registered for smart gate but my emirates ID works for egate or smartgate so I don't have to get my skywards card programmed or an actual e-gate card anymore.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:01 am

The eGate program vetting is not heavy at all

In fact, if you register for eGate and your passport type allows it, you will automatically be enrolled into the Smartgate system.

What happens at the gates depends on what identity document is presented.

If you present an egate card - that can either be a UAE ID card with eGate service activated in the chip, an actual eGate card issued by DNRD, or a Skywards card with RFID eGate service enabled - then that will query the eGate database, and you present your fingerprints for access.

If you present a machine readable passport, then you will enter the electronic gate and present your iris for scanning at the camera.

However B747-437B is the true expert here - this thread has the details: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...ate-q-s-3.html

As an aside, the T3 DNRD people said that only DNRD dnata on SZR and T1 will activate Skywards egate cards - but they could just be, err...busy...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by eternaltransit

In fact, if you register for eGate and your passport type allows it, you will automatically be enrolled into the Smartgate system.

If you present an egate card - that can either be a UAE ID card with eGate service activated in the chip, an actual eGate card issued by DNRD, or a Skywards card with RFID eGate service enabled - then that will query the eGate database, and you present your fingerprints for access.

If you present a machine readable passport, then you will enter the electronic gate and present your iris for scanning at the camera.

However B747-437B is the true expert here - this thread has the details: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...ate-q-s-3.html

As an aside, the T3 DNRD people said that only DNRD dnata on SZR and T1 will activate Skywards egate cards - but they could just be, err...busy...
I've always wondered, is it actually an iris scanner or is it using facial recognition?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Xenon2010
I've always wondered, is it actually an iris scanner or is it using facial recognition?
Both, iirc.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver
Thanks. Really helpful!

Are there no Smart Gates on departure, not even out of Abu Dhabi?

I'm trying to avoid my passport getting clogged up with stamps...
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by IverTheCat
Thanks. Really helpful!

Are there no Smart Gates on departure, not even out of Abu Dhabi?

I'm trying to avoid my passport getting clogged up with stamps...
Abu Dhabi has SmartGate for both departures and arrivals.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:14 pm
Suspended

update?

To update this older thread. In 2017 on arrival in AUH airport I was enrolled without asking in the Smart Gates by an officer and a tiny sticker placed on the back of my US passport. I am a US citizen and US passport holder only. I didnt think anything of it as I hadnt planned on much travel through the UAE but now I find myself landing in DXB with a long layover and I could not find out whether this Smart Gate is the same as E-gate and if in fact whatever was done to activate my US passport in 2017 would still allow me to use the Smart Gate (if there is such a thing in DXB) or E-gate in DXB?

Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: Skywards, QF FF

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD
To update this older thread. In 2017 on arrival in AUH airport I was enrolled without asking in the Smart Gates by an officer and a tiny sticker placed on the back of my US passport. I am a US citizen and US passport holder only. I didnt think anything of it as I hadnt planned on much travel through the UAE but now I find myself landing in DXB with a long layover and I could not find out whether this Smart Gate is the same as E-gate and if in fact whatever was done to activate my US passport in 2017 would still allow me to use the Smart Gate (if there is such a thing in DXB) or E-gate in DXB?

You shouldn’t have any issues using the automated gates in Dubai. At any rate, there is an immigration official who sits just behind the gates, and if there are any issues you get waved through and they will stamp your passport. The US is one of the countries eligible to use the gates.

https://gulfbusiness.com/10-7-millio...airports-year/
Tanzguy and Global Adventurer like this.

Last edited by petit_manchot; Jul 3, 2019 at 8:36 pm Reason: Link added for more info
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:24 am

The new machines on both entry and exit at DXB are now basically integrated smart and e-gate terminals - you’ll be promoted for iris scan of fingerprint depending on what document or card you present.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:36 pm

There's a similar looking machine at the entry to J lounge in B, T3 DXB. It's been there for a few weeks but not working yet.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
The new machines on both entry and exit at DXB are now basically integrated smart and e-gate terminals - you’ll be promoted for iris scan of fingerprint depending on what document or card you present.
So, instead of going to the regular que for an immigration officer, you go to the smart gate terminals and an officer will be attending that area too? I'm planning on doing this in November. I've been to Dubai four times, but always entered through the regular immigration que where they inspect your passport and take a photo.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
So, instead of going to the regular que for an immigration officer, you go to the smart gate terminals and an officer will be attending that area too? I'm planning on doing this in November. I've been to Dubai four times, but always entered through the regular immigration que where they inspect your passport and take a photo.
The first time you go through, go to a normal queue and ask to be registered for SmartGates. They'll do that for you there and then, and put a sticker on the back of your passport. Subsequently, you can just use the smart gates.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The first time you go through, go to a normal queue and ask to be registered for SmartGates. They'll do that for you there and then, and put a sticker on the back of your passport. Subsequently, you can just use the smart gates.
Thank you DYKWIA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.