Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Airbus Superjumbo May Get Lifeline as Emirates Mulls 20-Jet Deal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold

"Emirates, the biggest operator of Airbus SE’s A380 superjumbo, is in talks about the purchase of 20 more of the double-decker jets in a move that could extend the lifespan of a program dogged by slow sales, people familiar with the discussions said."

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...80-superjumbos
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I don't see any way that decision would make sense.

EK needs to start shifting to the A350 and B787
​​​
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by skywardhunter

​​​
+1
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I agree but as for "sense" I think it's part industry ego and part huge discounts that could make this deal come to fruition.

​​​
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:00 am

A silly decision. They have already deferred existing orders of the A380. They most certainly need to consider the A350 now.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Sounds like they've been offered a bulk discount. A380 makes sense if it's full.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by roberino
Sounds like they've been offered a bulk discount. A380 makes sense if it's full.
EK already get a ~30% discount on A380s - unless Airbus is going to get a per-unit loss on A380s (I mean, the programme breakeven point is probably never going to get reached anyway), then there isn't much scope for it to go lower.

On top that, as EK always finance their purchases, we have to look at the expected weakness of the A380 secondary market to see if they will even get any good terms on it.

I think it's just a negotiating strategy by EK to see if they can get better hot climate performance out of Airbus, if any, imho.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: Skywards, Silver
With the current rumors of Emirates introducing Economy Premium, buying more A380's might not be a bad idea.
The upper deck economy class on their two-class A380's would be perfect for such a solution.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
This idea sounds silly. What airbus needs is more customer, not just from one company, one fund source.

Jiburi
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

​​​
That's what I thought too.

Another question, they'll decide in 2018 if they're going to extend the leases on their oldest A380's, now, what if they don't, any view on airline's waiting for A380's to hit the second hand market?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I don't think even DL, Queen of the secondary aircraft market, have any interest in these birds. Just doesn't nearly fit into their current plan. Could work under a few plan but would have to be a very attractive rate.

Originally Posted by JasperT
That's what I thought too.

Another question, they'll decide in 2018 if they're going to extend the leases on their oldest A380's, now, what if they don't, any view on airline's waiting for A380's to hit the second hand market?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:25 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

TAnother question, they'll decide in 2018 if they're going to extend the leases on their oldest A380's, now, what if they don't, any view on airline's waiting for A380's to hit the second hand market?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I don't think even DL, Queen of the secondary aircraft market, have any interest in these birds. Just doesn't nearly fit into their current plan. Could work under a few plan but would have to be a very attractive rate.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Seems like a very accurate answer! Haha.

Didn't MH try to sell their A380's, as they were (are) just sitting on the tarmac? And that was a couple of years ago now.. Don't know what's happening with those at this moment.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Didn't MH try to sell their A380's, as they were (are) just sitting on the tarmac? And that was a couple of years ago now.. Don't know what's happening with those at this moment.
They operate the twice daily KUL - LHR route for MH. AFAIK MH rotate the airframes through to keep them all ticking over.

Probably an indication of the weakness of the A380 secondary market or maybe MH are waiting to re-launch some of their axed longhaul routes??
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Surprised Emirates isn't using the teaser of new purchases to try to convince Airbus to come up with a NEO/NEXT version with more fuel-efficient engines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.