Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updating old 777-300ER interiors?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Updating old 777-300ER interiors?

I'm due to be flying from Dubai to Bali in 3 weeks time and the scheduled plane is a 777-300ER.

I've had a look at Flight Radar to see the typical age of the planes that fly that route and it is a real mixed bag.

I know that Emirates have recently updated their business seats on the 777-300ER but wondered what the seats on the older fleet are like? I have paid to travel business class (my very first time, and likely only time!) and I'm now worried that if I'm unlucky and get a 8 - 11 year old plane that the business seats may not be up to scratch.

Does anyone know what the interior is like in the older 777-300ER's and whether Emirates routinely update the interior on the older fleet?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
The newest business class seats are only available on about 5 planes out of >130 in the fleet (I don't know the exact figures but that's the ballpark).

In the pre 11/16 business class (Nov 2016 when it was introduced) there are various "generations". They're all broadly equivalent, the main difference being quality of IFE and the handheld controller, which in the newer versions is wireless and thin like an iPad while in the older ones it weighs the equivalent of a small rhino baby and is connected with a cable. The oldest version also doesn't have touch screen I believe but not sure on that.

Service wise it's all the same, recline wise as well. Also the oldest planes are often the first to be retrofitted with upgraded seats and IFE if they've been in for a major overhaul, the planes you want to be avoiding are the 4-5 year old ones. Also the newest ones are unlikely to have Wifi as Wifi in the 777s is installed after aircraft delivery.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: WoH Globalist
My trip to Jakarta was through the B777-300ER and on the return leg I got upgraded to business class. J-seats are normal (not new generation) and IFE monitor is definitely old and NOT touch-screen. If you can, cancel the flight and go with Qatar (make sure you fly with QR's new planes though.)
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by rachsmith
I'm due to be flying from Dubai to Bali in 3 weeks time and the scheduled plane is a 777-300ER.

I've had a look at Flight Radar to see the typical age of the planes that fly that route and it is a real mixed bag.

I know that Emirates have recently updated their business seats on the 777-300ER but wondered what the seats on the older fleet are like? I have paid to travel business class (my very first time, and likely only time!) and I'm now worried that if I'm unlucky and get a 8 - 11 year old plane that the business seats may not be up to scratch.

Does anyone know what the interior is like in the older 777-300ER's and whether Emirates routinely update the interior on the older fleet?
The average flyer (no disrespect) who doesn't fly j often won't notice the difference...
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by aceboy44
My trip to Jakarta was through the B777-300ER and on the return leg I got upgraded to business class. J-seats are normal (not new generation) and IFE monitor is definitely old and NOT touch-screen. If you can, cancel the flight and go with Qatar (make sure you fly with QR's new planes though.)
Lol. You still around?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
I was on A6-EBW recently in J, one of the oldest at 10 years, and it had the baby rhino controller without touch screen on the main display. It seems like they've attempted to update the software but the hardware is woefully inadequate, it's like putting iOS 10 on the original iPhone. I have to say it was a good design though, the controller felt like it was designed with the seat instead of the tablet holder glued atop the partition as in the newer iteration.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in my 8 year history flying EK I don't think EK has ever retrofitted their aircraft to a new product. Maybe the A380 lounge will be the first program?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

They don't use the same plane every day.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Metanoia
I was on A6-EBW recently in J, one of the oldest at 10 years, and it had the baby rhino controller without touch screen on the main display. It seems like they've attempted to update the software but the hardware is woefully inadequate, it's like putting iOS 10 on the original iPhone. I have to say it was a good design though, the controller felt like it was designed with the seat instead of the tablet holder glued atop the partition as in the newer iteration.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in my 8 year history flying EK I don't think EK has ever retrofitted their aircraft to a new product. Maybe the A380 lounge will be the first program?
I do think they have, e.g. Skycruisers were replaced by F Suites in many aircraft I think. Also Wifi is a retrofit, and many aircraft were retrofitted in Y with newer Weber seats and ICE Digital Widescreen AFAIK
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:51 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I do think they have, e.g. Skycruisers were replaced by F Suites in many aircraft I think. Also Wifi is a retrofit, and many aircraft were retrofitted in Y with newer Weber seats and ICE Digital Widescreen AFAIK
The "deeply reclining" seats in J were replaced by the current lie-flats on the 777 I believe.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by rachsmith

All 777-300ER have the lie flats and are more or less the same. The main distinguishing factor is which generation of IFE you get, which on the older airframes is ICE but not digital widescreen so the remote and mode controller are the oldest versions. These aircraft are not going to be retrofitted with the new business class as they have just started to be retired by EK this week. This is what the oldest seat you will get looks like:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emira...Jtq2HZ0lMmA%3D

This is what the "newest" version of the same seat was until November 2016 which you can see is not very different.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-D6Kj_z0c9...0/DSCN6769.JPG
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:58 pm

The newest business class seats are only available on about 5 planes out of >130 in the fleet (I don't know the exact figures but that's the ballpark).
The chances of getting an aircraft with the new J class is significantly lower for the OP since DPS is a 2-class usually, and the new J class is only on 3-class aircraft.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainEKAirbus
The chances of getting an aircraft with the new J class is significantly lower for the OP since DPS is a 2-class usually, and the new J class is only on 3-class aircraft.
And the 2 class planes are generally newer i.e. With the touch screens and iPad style controllers so not new new but new
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
They always use the oldest J class planes on the DXB - CGK legs.. I've flown EK to CGK 5 times in the last 10 months and had the old 'tablet' thingies and stuff.. You know what I mean

Originally Posted by CaptainEKAirbus
Getting the newest ones for sure, but there are still planes out there with really outdated interiors.. I don't know if they're using them on the DPS route, but on the Jakarta one they are, every single time.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Lol. You still around?
Working for QR obviously ... hunting for EK clients !
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all - really helpful info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.