Wiki Posts
Search

Miles and tax

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Silver
Miles and tax

Is there anyway of finding out how much tax you'll have to pay when booking a flight with miles? Looking at booking a flight from LHR to CRK using miles, now I now how many miles I need but cannot find out how much tax you pay until you have the required amount of miles.
For example I know that a J return is 150,000 miles and £850ish in tax, I also know that F is 225,000 miles but cannot find out how much tax I'll have to pay until I reach that amount of miles. Frustrating as I'd like to know if it's worthwhile waiting a few more months to save the miles or whether the tax on F would be ridiculous.
Also, does anyone know if you earn miles when you book with miles?
Old May 29, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Miles for F should be similar to J, but you should be able to call and find out. Taxes and carrier-imposed surcharge depend on the route (origin/destination)
Old May 29, 2017, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Miles for F should be similar to J, but you should be able to call and find out. Taxes and carrier-imposed surcharge depend on the route (origin/destination)
Thanks for that, might as well save for the F in that case especially as the tier miles (if awarded when buying a miles flight) will boost me to gold.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by SimonLHR
Thanks for that, might as well save for the F in that case especially as the tier miles (if awarded when buying a miles flight) will boost me to gold.
You don't earn miles for flights paid with miles.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
You don't earn miles for flights paid with miles.
Ok, looks like plan B then. Book and pay for a fully flex Y class ticket (about £1200 as opposed to £2500 for J), and pray that I can upgrade the entire trip for 105,000 miles, or will I have to pay tax as well to upgrade.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by SimonLHR
Ok, looks like plan B then. Book and pay for a fully flex Y class ticket (about £1200 as opposed to £2500 for J), and pray that I can upgrade the entire trip for 105,000 miles, or will I have to pay tax as well to upgrade.
If for a flight departing the UK you need to pay an increased APD when upgrading to a premium cabin (it doesn't matter whether J or F which is why taxes are the same for both on an award redemption).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.