Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Ramadan Master Thread - 27 May to 25 June 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2017, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
What is Ramadan?
Ramadan is the ninth month in the Muslim calendar where Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset.
Ramadan is a holy month to Muslims and also a joyous and spiritual time. I am concentrating upon that which most effects Non-Muslims during Ramadan.

When is Ramadan?
Because the Muslim´calendar is a lunar calendar the date in the Julian, or solar, calendar changes every year. Each year it is about 11 days earlier than the previous year.
Ramadan 2017 is 27 May to 25 June.
Ramadan 2018 is 16 May to 14 June (expected)

When does Ramadan actually start?
The Muslim day starts at sunset and continues to sunset. Sightings for the new moon are taken at sunset and when sighted the month of Ramadan has started. Fasting begins later in the Muslim day at sunrise. Thus if Ramadan starts on June 6th then it is the sighting of the new moon at sunset on June 5th that marks the official start.

Are there exceptions to the rules?
There are exceptions to fasting rules such as the aged, sick, pregnant women, travellers, etc.
Some branches of Islam demand payment of a fine or a penance, such as feeding the poor, for breaking the fast whilst other branches do not. In some branches of Islam travellers may voluntarily choose to continue fasting whilst other branches forbid fasting whilst travelling.

When does Fasting take place?
From Sunrise to Sunset (Dawn to Dusk). The latter could cause serious health problems for those who live at latitude 48.5 or greater. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight for an explanation.

How does Ramadan affect EK?
EK adheres to the rules of Ramadan.
Food is always available inside the airport and on all flights. This is because of the traveller rules.
Non alcoholic drinks are always available both in the airport and on all flights.
Alcohol is available at Dubai International Airport as normal. There could be restrictions during day-time. In every respect, service is unchanged throughout EK.
Duty free alcohol is available at DDF.

How does Ramadan affect the UAE?
If you leave the airport during Ramadan please remember
1) It is extremely offensive, and in some Muslim countries, a criminal offence, to be seen eating, drinking, smoking or chewing gum in public during the period of fasting.
2) Most hotel outlets wlil function as normal but without music till after sunset, other outlets might restrict the sale of alcohol till after sunset.

Want to know more?
https://www.emirates.com/media-centr...ce-for-ramadan
http://www.thenational.ae/uae/ramada...nth-in-the-uae
Print Wikipost

The Ramadan Master Thread - 27 May to 25 June 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
I think this is what EK wants to make you believe. In reality, I am sure it is an EK corporate decision not to serve alcohol on those flights. Many other (Western) airlines serve alcohol right until landing in Saudi and pop the bottles right after takeoff. So it certainly is not an airspace-based rule.
It's not an airspace-based rule, it's covered under the Tokyo Convention 1963 as modified by the Montreal Protocol 2014 - so the State of Landing, in this case, the KSA, could if they really, really, really wanted to be petty, start to claim that drinking on board Saudi-bound flights was illegal (considering as per the protocol, whether drinking on board is illegal in the State of the Operator, which given EK is quite murky, what with alcohol licences etc. etc.).

One of those situations where it is best not to rock the boat, I think
Old May 20, 2015, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
It's not an airspace-based rule, it's covered under the Tokyo Convention 1963 as modified by the Montreal Protocol 2014 - so the State of Landing, in this case, the KSA, could if they really, really, really wanted to be petty, start to claim that drinking on board Saudi-bound flights was illegal (considering as per the protocol, whether drinking on board is illegal in the State of the Operator, which given EK is quite murky, what with alcohol licences etc. etc.).

That is interesting, learnt something new.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
On Qatar they gave boxes of dates to Muslim passengers and seemed to make a fuss over them as opposed to the non muslims.
Dates are traditionally important to muslims during Ramadan. For iftar (dinner after sunset, to make it short), you break fast by eating dates and/or offering dates to needy people.
This said, it's not forbidden to give dates to non-muslims ...

In intra-middle-east legs, I would suggest to verify first with your fellow neighbors if they don't mind if you eat. Some may be struggling to respect fast (even though travelers are not required) and may not appreciate people eating and drinking next to them. Of course, you would be in your rights by doing so, but, ... er ... well, ... let's not behave like american flyers .
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit

Interesting, KSA is obviously not imposing those rules yet (flights from and to Europe are as non-dry as it gets).

Last edited by CalFlyer; Jun 10, 2016 at 8:08 am
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:12 pm

The EY lounges in Abu Dhabi are not serving alcohol during daytime in Ramadan ("only from 19:00 to 03:00"). Food and soft drinks are however available around the clock. Would be interesting to understand which Quran section is behind this rule.

How does EK handle its lounge operations during Ramadan? Maybe I should switch back for a month.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
The EY lounges in Abu Dhabi are not serving alcohol during daytime in Ramadan ("only from 19:00 to 03:00"). Food and soft drinks are however available around the clock. Would be interesting to understand which Quran section is behind this rule.

How does EK handle its lounge operations during Ramadan? Maybe I should switch back for a month.
Business as usual free flow booze and food
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:23 pm

Interesting, KSA is obviously not imposing those rules yet (flights from and to Europe are as non-dry as it gets).

EK always claims that legal requirements are the reasons for not serving alcohol on board of their Saudi-bound flights. In reality, I think they are just cheap and want to save on expensive booze. My personal read.
I think it's out f mutual respect of the Saudis.

EK is very liberal with booze elsewhere
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:06 am

It's out of respect to Muslim guests. Non-muslims are allowed to eat during the day and so are children, elderly and sick Muslims, who might be passing through AUH. Alcohol is of course not allowed for any Muslim and they restrict it to evening hours out of respect to the holy month.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:10 am

EK always claims that legal requirements are the reasons for not serving alcohol on board of their Saudi-bound flights. In reality, I think they are just cheap and want to save on expensive booze. My personal read.
You know the region - what's claimed as legal, what you can get away with and what really happens is all quite...fluid...

As you know, the KSA has a delicate balancing act - a lot of pax may want booze (secretly or openly), but if it gets out EK is serving booze, will that cause a public outcry from vocal members of their society that means the boat is rocked and is that even worth it for a 1-2 hour flight?

I think it's just a happy coincidence for finance that it saves them money, rather than an active attempt to be cheap.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:58 am

I know Ramadan is a fasting month but just curious on whether Emirates offers any local delicacies especially cultural sweets or desserts in their lounges or on board?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Redhat72
I know Ramadan is a fasting month but just curious on whether Emirates offers any local delicacies especially cultural sweets or desserts in their lounges or on board?
Never noticed any change on board during Ramadan. Don't think I've visited a lounge during Ramadan or if I have I didn't notice anything unusual.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Redhat72
Yes there is currently onboard

http://www.emirates.com/media-centre...ce-for-ramadan
Old Jun 10, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
... on the new J seat ...
EK marketing doesn't stop amazing me
Old May 27, 2017, 12:14 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Ramadan

Hello!

Just wondering what the protocol is in the DXB F and J lounges during Ramadan wrt alcohol. Is it only served during the night?
Old May 27, 2017, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by sydtogla
Hello!

Just wondering what the protocol is in the DXB F and J lounges during Ramadan wrt alcohol. Is it only served during the night?
All day 24/7 as usual.

Mos if dubai is the same these days, many places are open all day including pubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.