Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Surcharges with EK award booking through JAL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 3:13 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Hello all!!

This site has been such a great help, so much information, a big thanks. I feel like I've done a good amount of searching an reading here, but cant quite seem to figure this out.

Im trying to plan a trip in early 2018 and Im hoping to book 2 award tickets on EK F using JAL mileage bank. it's a 2 part flight FCO-DXB then DXB-MEL. Anyone know or had experience if JAL has any surcharges or taxes for this type of award redemption? There website is "lacking" clear information on this type of ticket, and it seems I've read a few different reports of surcharges. Plus, most examples seem to originate in USA and not sure if that is a factor in the charges?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:39 pm

Have you looked at EK fares ex Italy? they are usually exceptional value. Might be better than some redemptions.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:06 pm

JAL charges normal taxes and fees for EK F awards but not fuel surcharges. I can tell you about that specific itinerary. But Asia-LAX-Asia round trip on EK F was less than $200. HKG-DXB one way was about $65.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:46 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
JAL charges normal taxes and fees for EK F awards but not fuel surcharges. I can tell you about that specific itinerary. But Asia-LAX-Asia round trip on EK F was less than $200. HKG-DXB one way was about $65.
Wow! That's great. I really wasn't sure what to expect, but I think I can handle a couple hundred dollers. Thought being an F award could be in the multiples of hundreds. Thanks for the info.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:52 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Have you looked at EK fares ex Italy? they are usually exceptional value. Might be better than some redemptions.
Yeah, while I wish I could say I could afford an EK F ticket, there is just no way. While my DW and I do a bit of travel, it is always in the budget style. I've got a bunch of miles and points saved up and thought it would be amazing to try a F ticket on one of the best in the world. Honestly the only way we could do it.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:54 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I also feel like I read some where that unless you have all the miles in your JAL bank the representatives won't really give you and indication of the taxes and surcharges. Any experience with this??
Old May 21, 2017, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by tpsmith82
I also feel like I read some where that unless you have all the miles in your JAL bank the representatives won't really give you and indication of the taxes and surcharges. Any experience with this??
I've never had a problem getting an estimate from the JAL agents in the LA office. You just have to call after 9am when the ticketing office is open to get the taxes calculated. I always just tell them I'd like an estimate of the taxes before I transfer the miles.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:34 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
I've never had a problem getting an estimate from the JAL agents in the LA office. You just have to call after 9am when the ticketing office is open to get the taxes calculated. I always just tell them I'd like an estimate of the taxes before I transfer the miles.
Awesome! Thanks for the help! I'll give them a try and post an update.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:08 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Well, I called the ticketing office today, or I should say the milage bank office and spoke with a representative. Tried to get estimate of surcharges and she stated that she would have to book flight to get estimate of charges.? I told her that I was contemplating transferring miles over and was hoping to figure out any charges. She said I would need to have an account set up and book the award before she could see any charges?

So, I might have jumped the gun. I'll set up a JAL account and try again soon. Possibly I had a representative that wasn't interested in looking, or possible they really cant see charges until booked. Either way, I try again and post an update.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:06 am

Fuel Surcharges on flights to/from Africa

I recently booked and then later cancelled two tickets from Dubai to Cape Town (open jaw return was JNB-DXB). Two points about this experience:

1) They do pass along fuel surcharges on Emirates routes between Dubai and Africa! My charges were $680 for fuel and $67.90 for other airport fees and stuff for each first class seat on the round trip (so $1495.80 total for 2 people round trip). I can't find it saying this anywhere on their website, and I made the mistake of not realizing that the "maximum fees" chart they have on the JAL website is only for Emirates flights to/from the US. Also note that you can calculate the fuel charge as it showed up on the cash ticket price breakout on ITA matrix.

2) Change fee was 3100 japanese yen per ticket, so roughly $28 USD. Points were redeposited immediately and expire in 3 years. Refund of the fees to my credit card took two days.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by tpsmith82
Well, I called the ticketing office today, or I should say the milage bank office and spoke with a representative. Tried to get estimate of surcharges and she stated that she would have to book flight to get estimate of charges.? I told her that I was contemplating transferring miles over and was hoping to figure out any charges. She said I would need to have an account set up and book the award before she could see any charges?

So, I might have jumped the gun. I'll set up a JAL account and try again soon. Possibly I had a representative that wasn't interested in looking, or possible they really cant see charges until booked. Either way, I try again and post an update.

Thanks for the help guys.
Know it's been a few months OP, don't know the outcome, but in the future, you can use ita matrix to calculate taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.