Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

? on MBNA UK Elite CC/ especially re voucher

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

Dear All

I have recently applied for the MBNA UK Elite CC as I am keen to get the voucher after spending 15k.

What I am still wondering is:

- do I have to fly within the year of validity; or will I only need to book my tickets within the year of validity and can we fly at a later date?

- do you have any experience with seat availability (J) from LHR towards Asia if booked well in advance (like Bali, SIN, HKG or MLE)? I remember using AMEX BA vouchers and we had to book 1 year in advance to get (maybe) 2 J seats to SIN.

Many thanks & happy Easter
Daniel
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:38 pm
Lux

Don't know about the former and any general comments about availability will apply to the latter.

Although YMMV, the general consensus is that the companion voucher is not worth it: you have to book into a high fare class to use it, it requires award availability, and it scuppers your existing booking if you need to change it. You might want to prepare yourself for disappointment.

For me, it's worthwhile for the high earning rate (esp if using the card to e.g. pay income taxes), and that the annual fee can be offset against a business class booking.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:25 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Sorry to disappoint but this card is only really good for blues (for the business class check in) and those who want a high mile earning rate (4 miles for ever £ at EK). The voucher benefit has many restrictions attached to it, which has been covered above.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
i have this card and have earned a voucher every year for the past 4 years and never once used it as its usually cheaper to book 2 saver business class seats than it is to book 1 business flex and pay the tax for the "free" second seat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.