Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK-BA through check on separate tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold

Hello

I have a journey BKK-DXB-ATH-LHR with EK/BA in J. Will EK be able/willing to check bags all the way through to LHR from BKK as the BA ticket ex-ATH is on a separate PNR?

Many thanks

Tom
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

No, unfortunately.

BA won't accept through checking of bags from BA-BA if on separate PNRs, so no chance EK-BA.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Ah well, I've got 4 hours in between flights so hopefully all will be okay!

I wasn't sure if it was down to the 'first' airline's policy rather than the receiving airline.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by tom139
I wasn't sure if it was down to the 'first' airline's policy rather than the receiving airline.
It absolutely is.

EK and BA do have an interline agreement, so it absolutely is technically possible for bags to be through-checked. This, however, applies ONLY for single tickets and your request SHOULD be refused.

That said, the EK check-in agent you ask may do so (whether by mistake, not realising it should not be allowed, or otherwise).

You can ask, and they may check the bags through. However, you should expect the request to be refused.

If they do through-check your bags, make sure to retain the luggage receipt, and bring this to the attention of BA ground crew immediately upon arrival at the location of the change of ticket. Just because the bag may have been tagged through onto BA DOES NOT mean it will automatically find its way onto the BA flight. BA will not have been expecting luggage to arrive in transit for your ticket, so you MUST be proactive and alert them to the bag, by showing them the luggage receipt.
ps107 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
if you want your bags I advise collection and re-check in.
Ryanardo_daVinci likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is confusion between the meaning of an interline agreement and policy. The former is the legal mechanism which authorizes the transfer of bags between two carriers. EK and BA have an interline agreement and accordingly EK may check bags onto BA services, including across tickets.

However, as a policy matter, BA does not accept bags checked onto other tickets, including its own, unless the other ticket is issued under the same PNR.

If you are able to convince EK staff at BKK to check your bag to LHR, it is possible that BA will not bother to reject the bag if it is properly tagged and that it will accordingly be properly delivered to you at LHR.

As noted above, if you prevail on step one, I would absolutely be certain that BA has received and accepted the bag for onward transportation.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Just an update here...

EK agent had absolutely no issues checking the bag through to LHR.

However...

This then did something to the BA booking which prevented me from being issued a boarding pass anywhere other than a physical BA desk...which, because BA have zero presence at ATH aside from their flights, meant that I had to go landside and wait for the BA desks to open. All they had to then do was type in the EK bag tag number onto the booking and a boarding pass was issued...
ps107 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:33 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Weird... BA will accept baggage from non-OW airlines, but not BA-BA on different tickets.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Our luggage was interlined successfully - AKL-MEL-DXB-MUC - all EK, then MUC-LHR-INV on BA - and LHR-INV flight was not until the following day. EK and BA on separate PNRs. That was last month. We also had the same last Oct going from HKG - INV, EK and BA, again separate PNRs. We did have to go to the BA agent at MUC to have our BP linked with the luggage tags, but we were amazed they got the full journey without a hitch!

It certainly didn't work the other way though!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I have booked a QF redemption on EK --> BA, all on the one booking reference so I assume I shouldn't have problems with bags being through-checked? QF agent claimed she couldn't guarantee it and gave the standard spiel about EK not being oneworld but I would be surprised if I encounter problems.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Isochronous
I have booked a QF redemption on EK --> BA, all on the one booking reference so I assume I shouldn't have problems with bags being through-checked? QF agent claimed she couldn't guarantee it and gave the standard spiel about EK not being oneworld but I would be surprised if I encounter problems.
Is it one ticket? Presume QF flight numbers on EK flights? I think it probably would be ok if on a single ticket
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Is it one ticket? Presume QF flight numbers on EK flights? I think it probably would be ok if on a single ticket
All on one ticket.

Just checked in at HKG and was told that there is no EK-BA interline agreement and therefore I must collect bags at AMS and re-check. What a joke!

Expertflyer also indicates that there is an interline agreement that permits bags to be checked through, is it out of date? (see attached)
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Isochronous
All on one ticket.

Just checked in at HKG and was told that there is no EK-BA interline agreement and therefore I must collect bags at AMS and re-check. What a joke!

Expertflyer also indicates that there is an interline agreement that permits bags to be checked through, is it out of date? (see attached)
What is your full routing?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:37 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
BA is notoriously difficult with through-checking from their side (they won’t even do BA to BA if it’s on separate tickets), so maybe EK are ‘reciprocating’.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
What is your full routing?
HKG AMS LHR GLA

Wonder if this is Qatar’s influence on BA at work perhaps?

anyone know if the AMS transfer desk will fetch bags for me? EK on DXB AMS is now delayed and the connection is reduced to 1 hr 30m.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.