Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

I Thought The Wings Were Iced Over On My EK Flight. Would You Report It To The Crew?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Thought The Wings Were Iced Over On My EK Flight. Would You Report It To The Crew?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:33 pm
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

A question for the forum and before I give the answer, I'll wait and see what others say

You board the aircraft, settle into your seat and prepare for departure. Boarding is completed early and the aircraft pushes back. It is night time and the light outside isn't great. As you look out of the window and see along the wing, at the end third, the surface looks a different shade from the rest of the wing. You know the temperature is below zero outside with high humidity percentage. You start thinking that the different shade looks like ice/ frost. Whilst you have been sitting on the plane during boarding, you haven't noticed any de-icing going on. What would you do?

A: Forget it, what do you know? You're only a passenger. The flight crew know what they're doing.
B: You want to say something to the crew but you're too shy and don't want to make a fool of yourself.
C: Ignore it and hope for the best
D: Bring it to the attention of the crew and to hell with it if you come across as a paranoid fool who watches too much Air Crash Investigation
E: Your own version
F: None of the above.

Answers below please

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Saltire74
A question for the forum and before I give the answer, I'll wait and see what others say

You board the aircraft, settle into your seat and prepare for departure. Boarding is completed early and the aircraft pushes back. It is night time and the light outside isn't great. As you look out of the window and see along the wing, at the end third, the surface looks a different shade from the rest of the wing. You know the temperature is below zero outside with high humidity percentage. You start thinking that the different shade looks like ice/ frost. Whilst you have been sitting on the plane during boarding, you haven't noticed any de-icing going on. What would you do?

A: Forget it, what do you know? You're only a passenger. The flight crew know what they're doing.
B: You want to say something to the crew but you're too shy and don't want to make a fool of yourself.
C: Ignore it and hope for the best
D: Bring it to the attention of the crew and to hell with it if you come across as a paranoid fool who watches too much Air Crash Investigation
E: Your own version
F: None of the above.

Answers below please

Safe & Happy Travels

S
c

Lots of other reasons for discolouration. Maybe replacement and not painted etc. Washing fluid not completely removed. Dear icing liquid also has a different colour.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
E: ask an extra pre-departure glass of champagne
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Im lost on how you could get to F in the list

As far as it goes, unless qualified to make an assessment, I would expect a passenger to do A
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:07 pm
Suspended

I'm still learning the ropes here, but was wondering how this relates specifically to EK? It seems more like a general question (but I agree with Dave Noble's response FWIW).
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:41 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by MrOscarh
I'm still learning the ropes here, but was wondering how this relates specifically to EK? It seems more like a general question (but I agree with Dave Noble's response FWIW).
Because it was an EK flight

S
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:46 am

S
Well the wording implied a generic hypothetical so I can understand why some night wonder what the relation is. This was your PEK-DXB flight? Made it to GLA yet it still enroute? Wondering if you managed to snag the upgrade?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: EK G̶o̶l̶d̶ S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ 'boarding zone F', IHG
A - on the (mistaken?) belief that if it's big enough to be an issue, someone more qualified (flight crew / ground crew) would have spotted it and done something about it. Particularly on a world-class airline at a large international airport.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
A

It would have to be more than "the surface looks a different shade" for me. If I see icicles then for sure I'd say something. Otherwise, I'd assume the crew have it under control.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:12 am
Suspended

S
Something you omitted to specify, and have not updated your OP. And I'll rephrase my question: shouldn't this be moved to a generic forum as it is relevant to any flight? I will flag for a moderator, unless you prefer to do so.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:39 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Oohhh. Apologies for causing a bit of controversy. The mod has already been in contact and I have answered.

So I omitted that this was an EK flight only because I was rushed when I originally posted.

The flight i was was on last night was EK307 PEK-DXB connecting to GLA. The original post was also intended to be a bit of fun and was EK related in that it was an EK flight involved with an EK Skywards member and EK flyertalk Ambassador involved.

It was cryptic for the suspense factor but some have already asked for the post to be moved but others already had a fair idea that this did relate to EK.

So, when I get a chance to get on my computer to the full site and fully describe the incident and add a photo to try and best describe what I thought I saw I will. I have not long arrived home after a long 24 hours of travel so please forgive the suspense.

If anybody still feels that this thread would be better closed or moved then feel free to use the moderator alert.

My own thoughts are that we could still have alittle bit of fun within the community.

And skywardhunter, no upgrade but the y purser very kindly commandeered an empty row without me asking.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:41 am

Oohhh. Apologies for causing a bit of controversy. The mod has already been in contact and I have answered.

So I omitted that this was an EK flight only because I was rushed when I originally posted.

The flight i was was on last night was EK307 PEK-DXB connecting to GLA. The original post was also intended to be a bit of fun and was EK related in that it was an EK flight involved with an EK Skywards member and EK flyertalk Ambassador involved.

It was cryptic for the suspense factor but some have already asked for the post to be moved but others already had a fair idea that this did relate to EK.

So, when I get a chance to get on my computer to the full site and fully describe the incident and add a photo to try and best describe what I thought I saw I will. I have not long arrived home after a long 24 hours of travel so please forgive the suspense.

If anybody still feels that this thread would be better closed or moved then feel free to use the moderator alert.

My own thoughts are that we could still have alittle bit of fun within the community.

And skywardhunter, no upgrade but the y purser very kindly commandeered an empty row without me asking.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
^ Nice. Now tell us what you did, I'm curious!!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:52 am

I can relate to this. Flying through PEK recently and looking through the window I couldn't even see if there was a wing due to all the pollution-induced haze.

I went with G, "close your eyes and think of China."
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
I can relate to this. Flying through PEK recently and looking through the window I couldn't even see if there was a wing due to all the pollution-induced haze.

I went with G, "close your eyes and think of China."
And double up on the champagne :-)
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:05 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
^ Nice. Now tell us what you did, I'm curious!!
To satisfy the discontent, I started with A, moved to B, C then D. I mentioned it to one of the crew members that I thought it looked like ice, he looked and questioned it then spoke to the purser. The purser came and had a look and wasn't sure and reported it to the flight deck. We taxied, slowly and then stopped before going on to the runway for a bit longer than normal. No other departures or landings. The purser then came back to me and informed that the first officer had went to have a look. Apparently de-icing had taken place before boarding commenced but the first officer checked to make sure and had then asked the purser to thank me for bringing it to their attention. I was also thanked by the purser and another 2 cabin crew and when I said I had felt a little silly about it she told me I had done the right thing. Once I get on to my computer I will put a photo up that shows what I thought I saw albeit it is a picture when we landed in DXB but the look was very similar.

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.