Search

Airport/onboard points upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, Executive Club, Starwood
Airport/onboard points upgrade

Hi All

I have searched the forum but cant find the answer to a question. I booked a fare through a travel agent (part of a holiday package) and I did not realise the legs were on a saver fare.

On manage my booking it says upgrade on check in only but I would need 59,000 miles to upgrade bhx-dxb. I was wondering will it still be 59,000 if I turned up at the airport to upgrade or if I waited till I was on board?

I have the 39,000 miles to upgrade...

I had when booked the ticked and on EK website it showed as only flex fares being available, yet with travel agent I have ended up on a saver fare!
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:46 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
The number of miles required will not differ at check-in or onboard. Travel agents have access to different inventory as part of consolidator fares sometimes, you should have asked before booking if this was going to be an issue.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:04 am

Sorry for the necro, didn't want to make a new thread for something similar and couldn't find a definitive thread in the search results.

So just to confirm, is there no difference in the amount of miles required when upgrading on board vs upgrading a few days/weeks before the flight? Considering that you miss out on F lounge access where available and maybe a better car from the chauffeur drive if you do it on board.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by MT_Switch
Sorry for the necro, didn't want to make a new thread for something similar and couldn't find a definitive thread in the search results.

So just to confirm, is there no difference in the amount of miles required when upgrading on board vs upgrading a few days/weeks before the flight? Considering that you miss out on F lounge access where available and maybe a better car from the chauffeur drive if you do it on board.
Cant answer your question but unfortunately dont think you get the chauffeur drive on upgrades
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:32 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Ashok Khanna

Cant answer your question but unfortunately dont think you get the chauffeur drive on upgrades
If you upgrade within the CD ‘window’, i.e. more than 48 hours before departure or arrival (whichever the case may be), you will get CD. That does however mean that you don’t get CD on an on-board or check-in upgrade (from Y to J).
But it’s the timing, not the fact that you use miles. The story for ‘special upgrade offers’ is different, no lounge or CD. But that was not the issue here as far as I understand.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh

If you upgrade within the CD ‘window’, i.e. more than 48 hours before departure or arrival (whichever the case may be), you will get CD. That does however mean that you don’t get CD on an on-board or check-in upgrade (from Y to J).
But it’s the timing, not the fact that you use miles. The story for ‘special upgrade offers’ is different, no lounge or CD. But that was not the issue here as far as I understand.
Occasionally and depending on station you can still get CD, inbound to DXB it is walk-up so no issue there, and if its T-48 to departure but >48 to arrival and it's the arrival CD then sometimes they can make it happen
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh

Yea I'm talking about normal upgrades, the one you process either by phone to the call center or with the upgrade menu when you manage your reservation before you fly, or on board with the purser if seat is available. I'm also asking for Y -> J, and J -> F.

So does anyone know if there is a miles difference?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by MT_Switch
Yea I'm talking about normal upgrades, the one you process either by phone to the call center or with the upgrade menu when you manage your reservation before you fly, or on board with the purser if seat is available. I'm also asking for Y -> J, and J -> F.

So does anyone know if there is a miles difference?
No difference for the standard upgrades
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:02 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Miles are set in stone, no changes irrespective of when you use them or what benefit you get / miss out on
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:04 pm

Thanks for the info guys.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Zol
Miles are set in stone, no changes irrespective of when you use them or what benefit you get / miss out on
I noticed a new (to me at least) feature when I was looking for flights the other day. Before booking, I was alerted to reduced mileage upgrades. I've got a screenshot of one here which hopefully shows what I mean. The little icon with the seat and the arrow was there before expanding the box, and the reduced rates for upgrades from Flex and Flex Plus Fares are coloured differently.

Has anyone else come across these (I don't think I've seen them mentioned)?

Does anyone know what they get regarding lounge and chauffeur drive benefits?

Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by ft101
I noticed a new (to me at least) feature when I was looking for flights the other day. Before booking, I was alerted to reduced mileage upgrades. I've got a screenshot of one here which hopefully shows what I mean. The little icon with the seat and the arrow was there before expanding the box, and the reduced rates for upgrades from Flex and Flex Plus Fares are coloured differently.

There was a brief discussion about them here:

Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2017/2018

They do appear for bookings ex JNB.

You get full lounge and CD benefits for the upgraded class.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:29 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ft101

Yes I have and took advantage of it before, you get full benefits. The difference gets adjusted on your Skywards statement automatically,
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:37 am

Yes i saw these also ex MRU to FRA but in J FLEX PLUS only. Reduced from 50K miles to 40 K miles.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
ive had these reduced miles offers appear a few times on DUB-DXB
Most recently got a Y flex to J offer for 21,000
Mitglied likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.