Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates 777 (EK521) crash landing at DXB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
An Emirates Airlines Boeing 777-300, registration A6-EMW performing flight UAE521/EK521 from Thiruvananthapuram (India) VOTV to Dubai (United Arab Emirates) OMDB with 275 people on board, was on final approach to Dubai's runway 12L at 12:41L (08:41Z) but attempted to go around from low height. The aircraft however did not climb, but after retracting the gear touched down on the runway and burst into flames. Passengers are being reported evacuated and safe. The aircraft burned down completely.

Source: AVHerald

http://avherald.com/h?article=49c12302&opt=0
Print Wikipost

Emirates 777 (EK521) crash landing at DXB

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2016, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Sigwx
The aircraft never overran the runway, it merely spun round on itself as it came to a halt. Plus the force of that impact may well have been enough to blow tyres and reduce braking efficiency. The irony may one day prove to be that the additional friction from scraping the belly along the surface may have been greater than the stoping ability of the brakes after several tyres have blown. The full report may well indicate the impact forces sustained.
I think you missed my actual question, I understand the plane didnt overrun in this case but i was asking if the landing gear had been left down, the plane then sank back on to the runway, would it have overrun being so far down the runway?
It is quite possible as bad (and good) as this outcome was, could it have been more severe if the landing gear was still down.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Firemansam
I think you missed my actual question, I understand the plane didnt overrun in this case but i was asking if the landing gear had been left down, the plane then sank back on to the runway, would it have overrun being so far down the runway?
It is quite possible as bad (and good) as this outcome was, could it have been more severe if the landing gear was still down.
You're both talking past each other. He misunderstood your post but did answer the question in the end
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:21 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Firemansam
The landing would have collapsed if it was locked down. So, I doubt it would have made much difference.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The landing would have collapsed if it was locked down. So, I doubt it would have made much difference.
It depends on the force involved. On the BA38 at LHR the assemblies went up through the wing strut. The force of impact I dare say would have been high than in this case. But that is just a guess. The report should hopefully give further detail. As a 777 rated bid myself, having been caught out by a carribean 'ground gripping', the 777 really can take a thump and a half and then some.
Remember, the aircraft sank back onto the runway, it never fell from the sky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.