Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates named world's best airline in Skytrax awards 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates named world's best airline in Skytrax awards 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by Kant1979
Emirates was voted the World’s Best Airline Commercial Advertising by air travellers in Skytrax awards 2016.
Wins easily for the year, IMO.

To trump card, SQ should put Jennifer Aniston rolling around in the SQ A380 suites...
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by ioto1902
I won't put EK in top position mainly because of irregular quality of service (both onboard and on land) and slow response to problems (baggage, ticketing, etc), not to mention the disappointing new B777 J seat.
Thank you for the answer (and others as well).

My impression of EK is that it's actually better organized than most other airlines as they don't have to carry all the baggage (bad pun intended) legacy carriers do. Plus, they're co-operating with DXB on the common product, while some other airlines' relationships with their hometown/hub airports are more ambivalent (admittedly it doesn't show up all the time, with all the half an hour bus rides from the remote stand).

But I see there are issues I'd have to fly EK more often to be aware of.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
EK's A380 fleet number and seats are great across all classes, however their 777's Y & J seats are terrible.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:41 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Ausriver
EK's A380 fleet number and seats are great across all classes, however their 777's Y & J seats are terrible.
I actually find the 77W J class seat alright and a lot more comfortable than the CX seat in the flat position. Two long hauls in the CX seat left me with pretty bad hip pain on one side. YMMV

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
That will be the day when we see UA or AA or AC to be the world's best airline!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:30 pm

Interestingly EK is not a top performer in any of the sub-categories with the exception of IFE, yet overall it is a top performer. Scores only 6 out of 10 in passenger ratings. I am sure there is a valid explanation.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
That will be the day when we see UA or AA or AC to be the world's best airline!
...and pigs will fly!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Saltire74
I actually find the 77W J class seat alright and a lot more comfortable than the CX seat in the flat position. Two long hauls in the CX seat left me with pretty bad hip pain on one side. YMMV

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Agree. This bullying of the 777s is unnecessary. I think it's partly just seeing someone else say it and jumping on the bandwagon. If one is unable to fly EK because of the discomfort of a 777 J seat then one has much more serious problems.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Agree. This bullying of the 777s is unnecessary. I think it's partly just seeing someone else say it and jumping on the bandwagon. If one is unable to fly EK because of the discomfort of a 777 J seat then one has much more serious problems.
Count me as one. 2+3+2 is not competitive. Add slow service and below average food and I do not think EK should be anywhere near the top.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
SkyTrax provides consulting service for airlines.
SkyTrax gives ratings and awards to airlines.

Go figure. $$$$$kytrax is not rigging votes.
I don't think many would disagree with you - it's been said for years and getting the number one spot shouldn't change one's view.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by AntonS
Count me as one. 2+3+2 is not competitive. Add slow service and below average food and I do not think EK should be anywhere near the top.
Sure, let me jump on a 12-year old SAA A340 who's seats smell like fart (is that word allowed on FT?) Or fly EY which requires an extra stop, long transfer and who's ground service makes me want to cry. Or maybe Qatar, escept they don't go half the places I'd like to and also require 12 hour transfers for the places I can go with them.

EK's 2-3-2 is competitive because of the other stuff they bring to the table. Once I'm in my seat direct aisle access is a tiny part of the experience for me. Consistent ground handling and lounges (which EK has), consistent hard product and in my experience relatively consistent soft product, coupled with good prices, excellent routes and I'd say EK is very competitive.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: CX DM, TG *G, HH DM
EK shows the value of massive marketing?

I've been long-hauling on EK (MNL-DXB), SQ (MUN-SIN) and ANA (TYO-JFK) - all in biz and all in 777 ER-versions. They are all good airlines, and the differences between them are small. But for many of us, the small differences tilt the scales towards one or the other.
  • For my anatomy (slightly chubby Caucasian), ANA's seat is the best followed by SQ. The 2-3-2 seats on EK feel narrow.
  • The service on EK is not superior to that of SQ or ANA. I'd put SQ ahead of ANA by a whisker and then EK neck-and-neck with ANA.
  • Food on board has ANA win by a landslide (yes, I love Japanese food). SQ 2nd.
  • Transits and lounges is a win for SQ, with EK a close 2nd. ANA has some way to go.
  • IFE is, at least for me, more than good enough on all of them. I do wish airlines would kill the ads on IFE though. The ads are an effective way to ensure I will never consider any of the products/services promo'ed.

Long-Haul I focus on sleep, a decent meal and comfort. I fail to see the fuss over EK biz.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by Flying Viking
... I fail to see the fuss over EK biz.
When you step into EK B777 transiting from another carrier 777, the difference strikes you.

The current B777 seating is old, therefore quite acceptable as such (all the more compared to the older A330's). But, proposing 2-3-2 as a new 2017 offer which will last for the next decade is not acceptable.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 1:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
^

Perfectly comfortable for my lardy-arsed 6'3" frame.

However, compared to the likes of QR that have a 1x2x1 layout, people have some justification in their complaints.

But it's still much better than the BA 2x4x2 layout
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
I like the 77s because the smaller J cabin seems to result in more attentive service.

Only been in J on the A380 twice, service was...not good. Easier, quicker to get our dinner drinks at the bar rather then the FA to bring it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.