Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Some Emirates observations after almost a year away

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:03 am
Original Poster

So I flew a few roundtrips with Emirates in the last few weeks after almost a year away (and having held Skywards elite status from 2008-2015).

Some observations and commentary :

a) Why on earth are remote parking stands still being used when the entire Concourse C is now exclusive use for Emirates? All my arrivals were at remote stands, including one where it took over 45 minutes from touchdown until the bus reached the terminal.

b) The streamlined Terminal 1 experience has become a definite product differentiator against Emirates now that Concourse D is open. I average no more than 30 minutes from touchdown to curbside using eGate flying into T1, thanks to the reduced taxi times and the shuttle train directly to immigration. Terminal 3 with remote stands can take 90 minutes.

c) Is there a new policy on Emirates to make passengers put their seats upright during meals? I know they have done this when someone is sitting behind you (as is common sense), but I specifically select 50G so that I can recline and sleep as I very rarely choose to eat on board. However, on two flights I was woken up by crew and asked to put my seat upright during the meal service. Including one flight where I was the only person in my row and there was nobody either in front or behind me, plus I had the DND sticker displayed. Complained to the SFS who apologised and said the crewmember was new and was just following policy.

d) Very weird experience on an empty flight (~50 pax on a 77W). Skywards Platinum passenger (crew made a big fuss over him on boarding, etc..) a few rows ahead of me decided to strip down to underwear after his meal and stretched out topless across a row of seats with a blanket covering him. SFS and Purser were summoned and a heated argument ensued that eventually resulted in him putting his trousers and a T-shirt back on.

e) Marhaba Lounge in Concourse A is a disgrace. Standing room only (or sit on the floor) at peak departure time. 10 minute line for the sole bartender on duty and not even self-service drinking water available.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B
So I flew a few roundtrips with Emirates in the last few weeks after almost a year away (and having held Skywards elite status from 2008-2015).

a) Why on earth are remote parking stands still being used when the entire Concourse C is now exclusive use for Emirates? All my arrivals were at remote stands, including one where it took over 45 minutes from touchdown until the bus reached the terminal.

b) The streamlined Terminal 1 experience has become a definite product differentiator against Emirates now that Concourse D is open. I average no more than 30 minutes from touchdown to curbside using eGate flying into T1, thanks to the reduced taxi times and the shuttle train directly to immigration. Terminal 3 with remote stands can take 90 minutes.

c) Is there a new policy on Emirates to make passengers put their seats upright during meals? I know they have done this when someone is sitting behind you (as is common sense), but I specifically select 50G so that I can recline and sleep as I very rarely choose to eat on board. However, on two flights I was woken up by crew and asked to put my seat upright during the meal service. Including one flight where I was the only person in my row and there was nobody either in front or behind me, plus I had the DND sticker displayed. Complained to the SFS who apologised and said the crewmember was new and was just following policy.

d) Very weird experience on an empty flight (~50 pax on a 77W). Skywards Platinum passenger (crew made a big fuss over him on boarding, etc..) a few rows ahead of me decided to strip down to underwear after his meal and stretched out topless across a row of seats with a blanket covering him. SFS and Purser were summoned and a heated argument ensued that eventually resulted in him putting his trousers and a T-shirt back on.

e) Marhaba Lounge in Concourse A is a disgrace. Standing room only (or sit on the floor) at peak departure time. 10 minute line for the sole bartender on duty and not even self-service drinking water available.
These threads always get interesting

a) That's unlucky, it happens to me around 10% of the time.
c) haven't noticed this
d) what the heck
e) Not related to EK in any way.

*grabs popcorn*
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Bus gates are still sometimes needed. Flight gets delayed/gate isn't available for some reason and sometimes it happens.

EK/DXB Airport I believe is supposed to be work on updating the other terminals now the D is open. Can't happen overnight, but in general anything in DXB is update very frequently, but again can't be done overnight.

I always fly F or J so don't know there.

At least he kept some type of clothing on over his bottom. I was on a flight (not EK) few years back and guy thought it's a nudist flight I guess.

How does this have to do with EK? This is like complaining that the AF/KLM lounge isn't up to snuff while flying EK. EK has it's own lounges, and while crowded even the J class lounge is quite nice.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:34 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by flyerCO
How does this have to do with EK? This is like complaining that the AF/KLM lounge isn't up to snuff while flying EK. EK has it's own lounges, and while crowded even the J class lounge is quite nice.
This forum has historically been about EK, DXB and Dubai in general, and the OP used to be a regular poster on here.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
This is the only lounge available for non-elite EK passengers in Economy Class. So it is relevant to the Emirates experience, if not to Emirates itself.

Arguably, more relevant than the stripping Platinum anecdote.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:07 pm

Arguably, more relevant than the stripping Platinum anecdote.
But we all know which one we'd like to know more about
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
a) It is a basic complain here. It's a real pain when it happens.

c) It is clearly not clever to ask if there is nobody behind you or if the guy behind you is sleeping.

d.1) I'd be very interested what kind of "big fuss" was done.

d.2) That has nothing to do with status. "Flying a lot" is not a synonym of "behaving well".
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by ioto1902
a) It is a basic complain here. It's a real pain when it happens.

c) It is clearly not clever to ask if there is nobody behind you or if the guy behind you is sleeping.

d.2) That has nothing to do with status. "Flying a lot" is not a synonym of "behaving well".
me too, greeting is now worse than gold in j when I'm plat in f.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Purser and SFS both came to meet him during boarding. Brought him a bag containing various goodies (not sure what was in it). Meal order taken and served before the service even started for everyone else. Etc...
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:31 am

Purser and SFS both came to meet him during boarding. Brought him a bag containing various goodies (not sure what was in it). Meal order taken and served before the service even started for everyone else. Etc...
How do you know he was Plat? Maybe IO or a celebrity?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
How do you know he was Plat? Maybe IO or a celebrity?
Overhearing "Thank you for being a valued Skywards Platinum Member" is usually indicative of the person being a Skywards Platinum Member.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
If this was in Y/J, I want to emphasize to everyone here that it is not standard procedure at all. Please don't think that Plats get special goodies.

If this was in F, the beige bag filled with slippers, pajama and amenity kit is quite standard on LH/ULH flights and is distributed to all pax (at least, to those asking for it).

Anyway, as skywardhunter, I tend to think that this guy was rather a VIP than an average Plat.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:00 am

If this was in Y/J, I want to emphasize to everyone here that it is not standard procedure at all. Please don't think that Plats get special goodies.

If this was in F, the beige bag filled with slippers, pajama and amenity kit is quite standard on LH/ULH flights and is distributed to all pax (at least, to those asking for it).

Anyway, as skywardhunter, I tend to think that this guy was rather a VIP than an average Plat.
Sometimes on a very empty flight the senior crew will do things like this to go above and beyond.

Usual contents of those bags are bottles of water, chocolates, eyeshades, earplugs etc.

Still sounds like a weird Platinum pax rather than a VIP - a VIP is unlikely to be in Y after all!
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Definitely will share this vignette with crew on my flight tomorrow. I'm sure they've seen plenty of strange Elite/VIP behavior. Sure to be a good conversation.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by extramileage
Definitely will share this vignette with crew on my flight tomorrow. I'm sure they've seen plenty of strange Elite/VIP behavior. Sure to be a good conversation.
All sorts of strange things on planes - VVIPs clearly taking drugs in the lavatories, a QF CL naked in his suite are among the tame ones!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.