Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Luggage allowances Africa

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
New Luggage allowances Africa

EK announced the piece concept for flights originating in Africa including Mauritius.
Now how does that work if you have a return MAN-MRU ticket booked after April 16th to Mauritius?
Will it continue to be on weight concept?
Thanks in advance.

<< Baggage policy for Africa

For tickets issued on or after 15 April 2016
For itineraries commencing in any destination in Africa, the piece concept applies. Customers beginning their journey in Africa are allowed two bags of up to 23kg each in Economy Class, and two bags of up to 32kg each in First Class or Business Class. This will apply regardless of the country in which the ticket was purchased. If the free baggage allowance is exceeded, normal excess charges apply.

For tickets issued before 15 April 2016
The baggage allowance for passengers with tickets issued before this date on journeys originating in Africa will continue to be based on the weight concept. This applies regardless of the date of travel.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
OK I just checked this out and it seems that if the flight originates outside Africa the old weight concept will still apply. But the tier allowances seem to be abolished on the two piece concept for flights originating from Africa.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Just spoke to an agent and there is no additional baggage benefit for Skywards members on the piece concept apparently. Applies to flights originating from Africa ticketed after 15 April.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Just spoke to an agent and there is no additional baggage benefit for Skywards members on the piece concept apparently. Applies to flights originating from Africa ticketed after 15 April.
Thanks for that.
How odd no additional baggage allowance for Skywards members.
Another thing puzzling me is the return trip. It originates in Africa MRU-MAN.
I doubt they will apply the piece concept one way?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by daisymay2
Thanks for that.
How odd no additional baggage allowance for Skywards members.
Another thing puzzling me is the return trip. It originates in Africa MRU-MAN.
I doubt they will apply the piece concept one way?
if travel is originating in africa there is a piece concept for the whole ticket (I assume it is a MRU-MAN-MRU)
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

No - MAN-MRU-MAN so imagine weight concept applies outbound and inbound?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 3:59 pm

piece concept is only for ticket originating in africa (if your journey starts there). it's actually for "africa fares", you are travelling on a "GB fare" (not sure if this if my explanation is understandable )
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
As kuroko says only originating Africa tickets. The agent even said "of course you will have the same allowance as when you flew out, you need to be able to come back". If you flew there on weight then the same applies returning.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you guys - all much clearer now! Prefer the weight concept as get to keep my Skywards allowance.
I guess the key word was originating!
Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thank you guys - all much clearer now! Prefer the weight concept as get to keep my Skywards allowance.
I guess the key word was originating!
You would rather have 42Kg allowance rather than 46Kg in economy / 52Kg vs 64Kg in business / 62Kg vs 64Kg in 1st ?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You would rather have 42Kg allowance rather than 46Kg in economy / 52Kg vs 64Kg in business / 62Kg vs 64Kg in 1st ?
Having more allowance than the non-status plebs makes him feel special, even if it means he gets to have less as well (I kid)
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Doesn't bother me really as I never go above 30kgs.
No, what puts me off the piece concept is that some people said on ATF on Tripadvisor that you're allowed 2 bags each of 23kgs?
I don't want to have to wheel 2 bags plus my carry on.
Now if someone here can enlighten me about this one?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:18 pm

Doesn't bother me really as I never go above 30kgs.
No, what puts me off the piece concept is that some people said on ATF on Tripadvisor that you're allowed 2 bags each of 23kgs?
Now if someone here can enlighten me about this one?
piece concept: max 2 luggages, each max 23kg
weight concept: max 30kg (doesnt matter how many pieces) + extra allowance from SKywards

bottom line, you can take more kg's with you with the piece concept, however only max 2 pieces compared to unlimited pieces and less kg's, also if you have a 27kg bag, you have to split it now

Last edited by kuroko; Apr 24, 2016 at 11:54 pm
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:47 pm

Yes, it sounds like if you want to take one bag over 23 kg (but no more than 32) then you're better having the lower overall weight allowance.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys! That's what I thought - better off with weight concept

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.