Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates 657 MLE-DXB no First (Z) Business (D) Inventory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Hello All! I had a question and was hoping someone might be able to help me figure it out.

I've ticketed a First Class award ticket from JFK-DXB-MLE-DXB-JFK with the following segments confirmed in the highest award class of service available for our flights in May 2016.

JFK-DXB First (Z) - A380
DXB-MLE Business (D) - 777-300ER 3 Cabin Service
MLE-DXB Coach (N) - 777-300ER 3 Cabin Service
DXB-JFK First (Z) - A380

For some reason there's zero Business and First Class award inventory for the MLE-DXB segment on EK 657 no matter what dates I choose (looked at dates in March, April, May, June). Am I missing something here? I called Emirates and they're saying they have the majority of the business and first class cabin unsold at this time (T - 65 DAYS before departure).

Has anyone else noticed Business and Coach inventory heavily restricted for this flight / route?

What hope do I have of getting upgraded from coach to business class the day of departure since all of our other segments are First of Business?

Any help or thoughts are really appreciated!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by BumpMeVoucherMeATL
What hope do I have of getting upgraded from coach to business class the day of departure since all of our other segments are First of Business?
Zero hope based on your class of travel in other segments. EK upgrades only for operational reasons.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Zero hope based on your class of travel in other segments. EK upgrades only for operational reasons.
I think the op means getting d or z so he can reticket. This should be possible at check in time but not sure how you'd do it - you have to call EK to reprocess the whole upgrade or you'll be charged a lot of miles for that segment.

Mle is very popular and lots if j and f bookings happen last minute - not sure when you are going but thurs 5th may might be a public holiday so if it is a fair few people from the gulf will book to go.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:41 pm

the wording implies a causal relationship, but perhaps OP could clarify
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:30 am

I have flown this flight many times, my last flight was in August 2015, I have never seen a first class compartment on any of the flights. Business yes but never first.

In August last year this flight was almost empty in Economy and business , I believe there were only around 50 passengers.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 5:41 am
Original Poster

UPDATE:

The RevManagement and Airline Inventory gods have smiled upon me! I set an alert on Expert Flyer to alert me the moment Business - Saver Award & Upgrade (D) inventory opened up for 2 or more people, and this morning at T - 60 days until departure apparently the inventory was made available! I was able to call and get us re-ticketed into the new cabin of service with no problem!

Apparently T-60 days (for that leg of the trip) was the magic spot on the time line for fresh business class inventory to open up!
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
UPDATE:

The RevManagement and Airline Inventory gods have smiled upon me! I set an alert on Expert Flyer to alert me the moment Business - Saver Award & Upgrade (D) inventory opened up for 2 or more people, and this morning at T - 60 days until departure apparently the inventory was made available! I was able to call and get us re-ticketed into the new cabin of service with no problem!

Apparently T-60 days (for that leg of the trip) was the magic spot on the time line for fresh business class inventory to open up!
Did you book this with EK miles, or AS?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:29 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
It's worthwhile to keep checking and/or set an EF alert for first as well. EK rarely makes more than 1 first class award seat available in advance on 777 routes, but will often release 2 award seats about a week before departure if the flights are lightly booked, at which point you could potentially upgrade further.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glocklt4
Did you book this with EK miles, or AS?
Used Alaska Airlines Miles
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Used Alaska Airlines Miles
Thanks. This is great to hear. I'm on DFW-DXB-SEZ on AS F award and stuck in Y on DXB-SEZ portion. Wife is in J. Apparently there was only one seat when we booked from separate mileage accounts. I've been checking back frequently for half a year. Still have another 5mo to go. I have EF and AwardNexus checks setup for AS. QF shows partner availability but for some reason AS cannot get to it, even with manual NN confirm attempts many times. Crossing fingers that at T-60 I might see a seat finally on AS website.

I also got SOOO lucky to be i nthe 6mo time where DFW-DXB has been switched from A380 to 773, so also alerts and checking LAX/SFO/JFK/IAD to switch to there.

Fun...
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Update: First Class inventory finally opened on on the DXB-MLE at the T - 5 Days mark before departure. Just upgraded from business to first since we paid the first class price anyway redeeming via Alaska. Not bad considering coach was the only thing available for the last 45 days or so.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:18 pm

@BumpMeVoucherMeATL

How did you do that? My understanding is that Emirates marries the segments, so you would have to change the whole thing, not just one leg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.