Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chauffer drive...bad experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Chauffer drive...bad experiences

So, my chauffeur drive was late today, hev showed up 30 min late despite reconfirming my pick up time the night before. I called the dispatcher and he said he'd would show up in a silver Mercedes with a license plate that started with CPT. Lo and behold the car showed up 30 min late it was black and started with DR....needless to say I was a bit worried.

Anyway this got me thinking.... If you missed your flight because of chaffuer drive mishap, would Emirates hold you liable ?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:21 pm

In a word, yes, EK won't guarantee the performance of their suppliers - which station was this from?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

This was in Johannesburg. Their chaffuer drive outsourced vendor is not good...not very reliablr
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
write to emirates explaining what happened and compensation could be an result .....
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
So, my chauffeur drive was late today, hev showed up 30 min late despite reconfirming my pick up time the night before. I called the dispatcher and he said he'd would show up in a silver Mercedes with a license plate that started with CPT. Lo and behold the car showed up 30 min late it was black and started with DR....needless to say I was a bit worried.

Anyway this got me thinking.... If you missed your flight because of chaffuer drive mishap, would Emirates hold you liable ?
I also find it a little weird that EK chauffeur drive in SA sends cars from weird places. Like you receiving a car from CPT in JNB. In DUR I have never received a car that was from DUR - always JNB/CPT (once had an S-class from the Eastern Cape!). I just find that odd...

From my limited experience, in DUR they are mostly on time for chauffeur drive. Worst I have had was 5 minutes late which really isn't something to complain about.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
In SF Bay Area a driver just sat in his car on pickup and dropoff. Car smelled like he had been smoking prior.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Ahmed777
I also find it a little weird that EK chauffeur drive in SA sends cars from weird places. Like you receiving a car from CPT in JNB. In DUR I have never received a car that was from DUR - always JNB/CPT (once had an S-class from the Eastern Cape!). I just find that odd...

From my limited experience, in DUR they are mostly on time for chauffeur drive. Worst I have had was 5 minutes late which really isn't something to complain about.
It's very common for rental cars to be registered elsewhere, vast majority of rentals are registered in Gauteng and have GP plates, even in Cape Town (one way to tell if someone's a tourist is if they have a newish, clean, entry-level hatch with GP plates, dead giveaway). May be similar for the chauffeur drive cars. I think it has to do with where the companies' head offices are.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
It's very common for rental cars to be registered elsewhere, vast majority of rentals are registered in Gauteng and have GP plates, even in Cape Town (one way to tell if someone's a tourist is if they have a newish, clean, entry-level hatch with GP plates, dead giveaway). May be similar for the chauffeur drive cars. I think it has to do with where the companies' head offices are.
Just asked my uncle who frequently uses chauffeur drive in DUR because I'm quite curious now. He's twice (in over 50 flights ex-DUR) received a KZN plate. Both were NJ (Verulam) which is quite a remote area (but near the airport).

Just interesting to me for some weird reason. It's a slow day.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 3:23 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Ahmed777
Just asked my uncle who frequently uses chauffeur drive in DUR because I'm quite curious now. He's twice (in over 50 flights ex-DUR) received a KZN plate. Both were NJ (Verulam) which is quite a remote area (but near the airport).

Just interesting to me for some weird reason. It's a slow day.
Wow... People actually keep a record of their chauffeur drive number plates!
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Wow... People actually keep a record of their chauffeur drive number plates!
This is Flyertalk, where people take multiple pictures of economy class meals to share - remembering their chauffeur drive number plates is not that odd on the scale of FT madness
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by silver-tls
In SF Bay Area a driver just sat in his car on pickup and dropoff. Car smelled like he had been smoking prior.
Looked like my guy was napping in the car. His tie was askew, he had his newspapers scattered all over the back seat and CDs on the floor of the back seat.

It was a shady experience,the dispatcher on the phone saying "We don't have and black mercedes cars, your car will be silver and the license plate will start with CPT"

and the driver shows up in a BLACK mercedes with license plate beginning with DR. I tell dispatch and he says..."Apologies"

I almost didn't get into the car!
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:52 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
The bottom line is that the chauffeur service is not operated by Emirates it is sub-contracted out.

A year ago a friend of mine was picked up in good time for a flight from LGW. Unfortunately, due to a major incident on the M25 (London Orbital Motorway) she was delayed by 4 hours and missed her flight and was classed as a no show. She had to pay the full price for a replacement ticket. When she tried to claim this back off from the chauffeur company she was shown the relevant T's & C's which absolved the company from liability in such a situation.

Fortunately she had good travel insurance
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
This is Flyertalk, where people take multiple pictures of economy class meals to share - remembering their chauffeur drive number plates is not that odd on the scale of FT madness
People dare to eat economy class meals - wow !
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by steveben53
People dare to eat economy class meals - wow !
Hey, they aren't all bad - or maybe I have a severe case of culinary Stockholm syndrome...
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Hey, they aren't all bad - or maybe I have a severe case of culinary Stockholm syndrome...
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the EK Grilled Chicken breast in Y is delicious!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.