Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Weirdest thing happen to you on an Emirates flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates, Qatar Airways

Sorry if this is a re - post.

I love to travel and see all of you with your many many more flights than I've had. Got me thinking what's the weirdest thing happen to you on a flight. Or the weirdest thing you saw?

Mine's fairly tame but I watched an Indian gentleman physically eating the hot towel (plastic wrapping included) that they give out when getting on the plane.

Come on, someone must have a better one than this...
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Deleerious
Mine's fairly tame but I watched an Indian gentleman physically eating the hot towel (plastic wrapping included) that they give out when getting on the plane.

Not sure anyone could ever have a better one than that!!! I don't fly as much as some of the others on here, about 30 - 40 EK flights a year (individual flights, not trips), surprisingly not really seen anything super weird.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK

I love to travel and see all of you with your many many more flights than I've had. Got me thinking what's the weirdest thing happen to you on a flight. Or the weirdest thing you saw?

Now this is a story
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat

And, what did he do next ? Eat cutlery ? Swallow soda can ?

As for the subject of the thread, I'm afraid I have nothing more striking than that ...
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:27 pm

Few years ago DXB-BEY, one of the few times in Y with EK, noticed a 5-7 yr old child collect the amenity packs that have the stickers, open them up, then put the stickers on the wall. Her parents were either busy talking or uninterested that by the time we're about to pushback there was like 30 stickers in a U on the wall. The sight of those stickers made the cabin feel very cheap (how can subtle things affect that!).

But yeah, nothing beats a passenger eating a towel. Though gotta ask, since when does EK provide a hot towel in a plastic wrap? They usually hand them out using tongs in all classes. The towels come in trays that the crew open and throw hot water on them, sometimes with perfume.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:13 pm

...I watched an Indian gentleman physically eating the hot towel (plastic wrapping included) that they give out when getting on the plane.
THIS is why we can't have nice things.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, Hyatt - Platinum
When I was flying to Japan for a summer exchange in high school, my friend (who was sitting a few rows back) ate all of the edamame we were served - not just the beans inside the pod. Not nearly as bad as a hot towel, but her stomach didn't feel great when we arrived in Japan.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, QR
Last week, while travelling from Addis Ababa to Istanbul, Business Class had only a couple of passengers, when about 5 passengers were upgraded to Business. One of them sat next to me in the window seat, while I had the aisle seat.

It was pretty obvious that he had never flown before. He did not know what to do with the towel, and had to ask the FA what it was. But what was funny was that he did not know what to do when the meal was served, and kept doing what I was doing. So, when I photographed the meal, he scrambled for his phone and photographed his food. Just wanted to make sure that he was indeed copying me, so I purposely photographed my drink later on, and he did the same!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond

Eat as in chew and swallow or was he just nibbling on it? it's just me, but I have a hard time believing anyone can swallow a wash cloth in one piece.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist

Are you sure he wasn't just trying to get the plastic wrapping open with his teeth! I simply cannot fathom anyone trying to "eat" the towel - with or without wrapping.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:30 am

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by Robbiemp
Last week, while travelling from Addis Ababa to Istanbul, Business Class had only a couple of passengers, when about 5 passengers were upgraded to Business. One of them sat next to me in the window seat, while I had the aisle seat.

It was pretty obvious that he had never flown before. He did not know what to do with the towel, and had to ask the FA what it was. But what was funny was that he did not know what to do when the meal was served, and kept doing what I was doing. So, when I photographed the meal, he scrambled for his phone and photographed his food. Just wanted to make sure that he was indeed copying me, so I purposely photographed my drink later on, and he did the same!
Not quite as bad, but flying back from BOG one time I had an oil worker next to me who had been upgraded, clearly for the first time. He placed his dinner order, but when the hot towel came he spread it out across his face, reclined the seat, and fell asleep. The look on the FA's face when she came back to retrieve the towel and then offer dinner was priceless: a mix of surprise, confusion, and what-do-I-do-now-this-wasn't-covered-in-the-manual.

Still doesn't beat eating the towel!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:03 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Not on EK.

But the two most notable was a mother changing her child's diaper in the middle of business class. And the second was a lady changed the diaper in the bathroom and then brought back the dirty diaper to her seat and atempted to shove it in the seat back pocket in economy.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:16 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

My "best" seatmate was the fella who would yank individual hairs off his head and eat them. He must have done it 100 times.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum, Alitalia FRECCIA ALATA
Few years ago air travelling locally in China. I saw a Chinese man eat his nasty slimpy yellow-greenish long boogers and he was undisturbed as if its normal. I think I'm pretty sure he knew I was watching and so was my partner. On that 28 day trip... I saw booger eating couple of times.

On that note. Few weeks ago, stopped at a red light. I randomly check out a car next to me. This gorgeous girl on the driver seat reached into her nose , picked it and eat it. I couldn't believe my eyes. At the next light I looked again thinking NOO way. Yeap she did it again.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by a310pilot
On that note. Few weeks ago, stopped at a red light. I randomly check out a car next to me. This gorgeous girl on the driver seat reached into her nose , picked it and eat it. I couldn't believe my eyes. At the next light I looked again thinking NOO way. Yeap she did it again.
Was it a pick or a scratch?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.