Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When do YOU board?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

When do YOU board?

I've only traveled Y before and I absolutely HATE the scrum that forms around the gate as soon as it opens. i usually sit there and wait until the crowd have boarded. This time I'm in business class and I'm thinking that I will wait in the lounge until the last possible moment. I'm going to be on that plane long enough. Does anyone else do that or do you board 1 hr before take off?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
If I was travelling in economy I would get on ASAP so that I was able to get overhead space. In business or first I don't wait to the last minute to board but do it at least 10 mins before close. I still make sure I have enough time.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:42 pm

IMHO, if you're travelling economy, it is crucial to board ASAP to secure the overhead space, especially if you travel like me who brings an instrument around! Also getting in the cabin early gives you time to settle down or maybe even get a glass of water.
Fortunately I have managed to get to silver, so the priority boarding benefit is pretty nice!

As for business, I would the mindset of 'the plane waits for you.' There is no significant benefit boarding the plane early as I'm pretty sure you will get all the space you need.
The only perks that I can think of for boarding early is that you can explore the cabin around for a bit / tell the stewards what kind of light snacks you would like and you're bound to get them quicker after takeoff!

I'll be travelling business from HKG to Dubai tomorrow and I'm certainly going to maximise my time at the lounge! Definitely not going to queue up!
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:35 am

Early every time, no matter what cabin.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:15 am

Programs: Emirates Gold + BA Silver
Economy - if no walk on luggage i wait until the queue has cleared, but if with luggage it is better to get in early for space.

Business - I enjoy getting on as early as possible, settling down with a early glass of bubbles and enjoy being looked after.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: Asiana Club, Mileage Plan, Skywards, Flying Blue, HHonors
Am nearly always amongst last to board particularly if travelling in Y. I normally travel with checked baggage so don't have much to take into cabin for the fight so overhead space does not concern me.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:11 am

Y - early to get overhead bin space (unless I know the seat next to me is empty, in which case I relax)
J/F - whenever I feel like it before the doors close
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:47 am

Y - when I'm called for
J/F - last couple minutes before the gate closes.

Didn't realise the overhead space in Y is such a big issue on the A380?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
> B777 : asap, but without rush, as overhead space can be taken particularly on some destinations and on some dates (family vacations)
> A380 : asap, to watch movies, unless I need wifi at the lounge, in which case, I can be the last to board ... but always within the time limit

Originally Posted by scotclif
... Business - I enjoy getting on as early as possible, settling down with a early glass of bubbles and enjoy being looked after.
Quite frankly scotclif, I never felt like a special flyer during boarding. FAs are all occupied to their tasks ...
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: Skywards (Platinum) / British Airways EC (Silver) / Alfursan (Silver)
I normally board about 30 to 40 min before departure with EK
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Its interesting that travelers have such varied habits, some depending on the class of travel. As for me, the car is booked to pick us up 5 hrs before departure ( not chancing Fri rush hr traffic). We will offload the luggage, tootle around duty free then settle in the lounge & have a well anticipated meal. Will probably board about 40 mins before departure, to get acclimatised with the seat/ cabin. The transits will be different, will depend on arrival times/ offloading etc so we'll just go with the flow.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:57 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
When do YOU board?

I usually board 30 mins before departure - no matter what class I'm flying.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:03 am

Programs: EK IO , Sixt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont President's Club, Sirius Gold,
As I have the opportunity to choose, I always take " First-On-Board" option.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: Emirates, Qatar Airways
Originally Posted by groundops
Am nearly always amongst last to board particularly if travelling in Y. I normally travel with checked baggage so don't have much to take into cabin for the fight so overhead space does not concern me.
Same as! The plane isn't going anywhere in hurry. I guess it's different if you have overhead luggage that you need to keep close by so you want a bag above your head but that doesn't really concern me.

What makes me laugh these days is the amount of TV's I see being shrink wrapped at the airport. Are TV's in the Middle East that much cheaper than anywhere else in the world!?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
It really depends which gate etc but I prefer to board early get settled and watch a movie - most of the time you can get a good chunk watched before take off!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.