Ticket rules

Old Jan 11, 16, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Ticket rules

Does anyone know what happens if you book a ticket that is a one month return and you fly 3/4 legs and then try to move the last leg to a later time I've beyond the original fare rules?
Old Jan 11, 16, 12:00 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
Does anyone know what happens if you book a ticket that is a one month return and you fly 3/4 legs and then try to move the last leg to a later time I've beyond the original fare rules?
As is often the case here, the answer varies. Based on lack of detail, any answers you get might be wrong.

What sort of ticket? Super cheap? Full fare?
City pairs?

Looking to change BEFORE the original 4th leg, or at a date after "missing" that leg?

Luggage?
Old Jan 11, 16, 12:00 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
You either loose leg 4/4 or they charge you the difference to upgrade the ticket to next category
Old Jan 11, 16, 12:26 pm

Programs: Skywards
they will/should upsell the whole ticket (outbound as well as invound) to a 4month/12month fare as regarding the max stay the most restrictive rule will apply

sometimes it's way cheaper to drop leg 4 and buy a one-way than to upsell everything
Old Jan 11, 16, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by m3red View Post
Minus the 1 month validity, I did that couple years back, SIN-AKL via MEL. While in AU on the inbound I moved SIN-MEL beyond the original validity and paid the fare difference on AKL-SIN, or at least that's what I recall.

Edie: Actually I also did do something like that few years ago, a max stay on a F fare was 3 months, flew outbound then pushed the 6th leg of the inbound beyond the 3 months (back when stopovers in DXB were permitted ) and only paid the difference on the inbound.

Don't know if the processes changed though.

Last edited by edy4eva; Jan 11, 16 at 3:31 pm
Old Jan 11, 16, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by kuroko View Post
they will/should upsell the whole ticket (outbound as well as invound) to a 4month/12month fare as regarding the max stay the most restrictive rule will apply

sometimes it's way cheaper to drop leg 4 and buy a one-way than to upsell everything
Once the outbound is flown, max stay and penalties of the inbound apply. A complete reprice only happens if the changes are made prior to commencement of travel or during a stopover on the outbound.
Old Jan 11, 16, 3:52 pm

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
Once the outbound is flown, max stay and penalties of the inbound apply. A complete reprice only happens if the changes are made prior to commencement of travel or during a stopover on the outbound.
the fares does not have to be repriced after the outbound is flown, correct, however the fare rules still apply (combinability, flight application etc etc) so does the min/max stay which is always stricter rule. otherwise you could always buy a 1 month ticket and exchange afterwards your inbound to another date so that your stay is - let's say - 5 months. If so, who would buy 12M tfares where you pay for a 12M fare on in- and outbound.

i agree with you that penalties/changes do apply as per fare component - at least on EK tickets.

Same story if you look at the cancellation fee - also stricter rule, doesn't matter if you have flown the outbound or not (despite that the "cancellation after departure" fee is applicable).
if the outbound fare is non-refundable and the inbound is full refundable and maybe a 400usd fee after departure, the ticket will still be non refundable (theoretically you can take the non-refundable part on an EMD and use it for another ticket but this is another story )

maybe you are lucky and the agent does not get it that the original ticket is only valid for 1M (he/she will notice later when they get an under collection from HQ)

Last edited by kuroko; Jan 11, 16 at 3:57 pm
Old Jan 11, 16, 8:01 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
..Don't know if the processes changed though.

Again, different tickets have different rules.

Until we know more details, the rest is probably assumptive guessing.
Old Jan 11, 16, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
As is often the case here, the answer varies. Based on lack of detail, any answers you get might be wrong.

What sort of ticket? Super cheap? Full fare?
City pairs?

Looking to change BEFORE the original 4th leg, or at a date after "missing" that leg?

Luggage?
Was looking at ex Cmb fares which are now quite restrictive.

You can't stop on the way out in Dxb is you have to transit (can live with that).

On the return you can stop for a max of 7 days and the whole ticket is a one month return. Basically I don't want to go back within a week.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: