Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK HKG BKK same day

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:36 am
Original Poster

BKK HKG BKK same day

Soon I want to enjoy FC from BKK to HKG return same day, just for fun.
EK 384/385

1. Will EK issue return BP at BKK?
2. Anything special I should be aware off?

Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Of course you can do it. You should also avoid the weird look as the crew will be probably different.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hi there, don't have the answer to your first question re BP.

As for the second .....well yes ....you should be aware that some people might question your sanity

On a serious note, I have always felt - based on personal experience - that such short sectors in F rarely have the same feeling or 'benefits' of F long-haul sectors. Ok, the aircraft itself & facilities are of course the same - but when everything is compressed into just three hours or even a little less, it doesn't really strike me as a worthwhile use of cash (or even miles) unless of course booked as part of a longer itinerary.

But hey that's just me. Have a fun trip ^

PS : do be aware that the Chauffeur service is not (AFAIK) offered for this route, even in F.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 4:48 am

Quick reply only so apologies if I seem curt:

1 - yes, you will get the return boarding pass at BKK.

2 - you will have to disembark the aircraft and reboard with the usual cut off times. HKG is trivial though so no problem there.

The crew are the same as its a turnaround. You will not be the first passenger to do this, but it might be the first for those particular crew.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Just spend 60.000 soon to be expiring miles and 770 baht, about 22 USD for this return ticket.

I will enjoy the day for sure.

Thanks all for the replies
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by tgbkk
Just spend 60.000 soon to be expiring miles and 770 baht, about 22 USD for this return ticket.

I will enjoy the day for sure.

Thanks all for the replies
Enjoy! I did HKG - BKK one-way in F a few months ago using miles. Yes longer sectors are obviously more worthwhile but in terms of a chance at experiencing F (and especially the A380 suites) I think it is worth it, especially with expiring miles. And going both ways makes it 6 hours in F. Being daytime/evening flights you can enjoy the full experience/service, without feeling tired or like you should sleep despite the lack of time.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit

The crew are the same as its a turnaround. You will not be the first passenger to do this, but it might be the first for those particular crew.
Correction, the crew will be different. Its a ca. 4hr turnaround in BKK.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by jbflyboy84
Correction, the crew will be different. Its a ca. 4hr turnaround in BKK.
The OP is taking the continuation flight of EK384 (DXB-)BKK-HKG, which then returns as EK385 HKG-BKK(-DXB).

BKK is the outstation where the operating crew for EK384/5 are based.

What happens is on Day 1, crew operate DXB-BKK. The aircraft arrives in BKK, where the crew from the previous day's EK384 are waiting to take over for the onward sector. The Day 1 aircraft then flies onto HKG with Day 0's crew operating BKK-HKG-BKK. They do not have a layover in HKG, and operate the flight as a turnaround back into BKK, where the flight number changes at HKG.

At the end of the day, Day 0's crew is back in BKK for another day's layover. The Day 1 aircraft then has yet another change of crew: Day -1's crew who the day before operated BKK-HKG-BKK.

Day 1's crew have their own layover in BKK and on the next day will be waiting back at BKK to operate BKK-HKG-BKK, who will take over from Day 2's crew who just arrived from DXB at lunchtime local time.

So, the OP will encounter the same crew on his BKK-HKG EK384 sector and immediate return HKG-BKK on EK385 (on the same aircraft). If he was to continue onwards to DXB, then of course he would have a different crew taking over.

Incidentally there are different rest period rosterings for Flight deck crew but that I think is not really relevant here.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by tgbkk
2. Anything special I should be aware off?
Don't expect an amenity kit or pajamas on this flight.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by aceboy44
Don't expect an amenity kit or pajamas on this flight.
Or caviar
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit

So, the OP will encounter the same crew on his BKK-HKG EK384 sector and immediate return HKG-BKK on EK385 (on the same aircraft). If he was to continue onwards to DXB, then of course he would have a different crew taking over.
I'll respectfully disagree with you on the basis of FTLs being broken, but its not the point of this post anyway
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by jbflyboy84
I'll respectfully disagree with you on the basis of FTLs being broken, but its not the point of this post anyway
With the greatest of respect, cabin crew rostering on the BKK-HKG-BKK 384/385 continuation sectors is not something that can really be disagreed about as if there could be a difference in opinion about something that is debatable - it's an operational fact that it's a turnaround that starts from BKK with the same crew on the outbound BKK-HKG and inbound HKG-BKK.

If you don't believe me, ask one of the cabin crew on your next flight or find a cabin crew friend who can load up (cabin crew) iCrew for you to check...

I am of course, perfectly happy to be proved wrong, but considering I have a friend who operated the sector just a few days ago, I'm quite confident they didn't have a layover in HKG on the outbound! They get 4 hours (scheduled at HKG arr. 1730, dep. 2115) which I'm sure some genius at scheduling counts as 2 hours of rest, ha ha!

Obviously the DXB-BKK and BKK-HKG-BKK parts of the flight are operated by different crews as DXB-BKK sector length puts that sector into layover territory - and of course, pilots get different rest/layover rostering at EK as well.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:13 pm

I've done HKG to BKK (EK385) a couple of times as a mileage run. It was handy if needing 1,00 or 1,500 odd miles and were flying to BKK anyway, as the open jaw was roughly the same price, so only a single ticket to get back to BKK was needed.

I booked in J and used miles to upgrade both times.

Turnaround time was 3 or 4 hours so no hurry as I would pick up luggage, go to the departure level and check in would not even be open yet.

I had amenity kits and other goodies, and the outbound crew would put them in one of the F bags and keep it in a locker for me getting back on board, and yes, it was always the same crew. Once they thought I was crazy, but the other crew took it in their stride.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:29 pm

I did this a year or so ago, but in business class, because I wanted to fly an A380 and I live in Thailand. EK alway has a promo fare for this run of about US$ 400 so why not. It was great fun and the crew was really surprised as like already mentioned, it's the same crew both ways. To impress them, I said I had an important business meeting in HKG

Both lounges are great and the 3 hours or so turnaround time is perfect for a little HKG airport shopping and lounge dining. You will receive both boarding passes in BKK so no need to pass through HKG immigration...just take the transit lane back into the terminal when de-planing.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:18 pm

Only just become aware of being able to to do BKK - HKG. I am going to be in BKK next September and will be flying to HKG. Even if only for a three hour flight, £288 in J and 10K miles to upgrade seems like not a bad price to experience EK F!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.