Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-DXB-JNB F / J Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2015, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

SFO-DXB-JNB F / J Questions

Thanks in advance for any help, and apologies in advance if the answers are obvious and my inability to search has led me to miss them.

I'm considering using the Amex 2 for 1 to go First Class, but could reduce my cost by having the DXB - JNB legs in Business (I think I can do that, though I need to check with Amex)

I assume on arrival at DXB I would use the J Lounge, can you confirm?
What kind of F / J Lounge accommodation does EK have in JNB? Food, showers, hours of operation etc.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:51 am

If your connecting flight from DXB to JNB is in J, you have to use the Business Class Lounge in DXB.
In JNB EK has its own Emirates Lounge for First/Business/Skywards Platin/Gold members. It is a typical EK-Lounge with good food and drink options. It has showers. Hours of operation are 3-4 hours before flight departure. Because EK has 4 flights a day from JNB, departing around 10 am, 2 pm, 7 pm and 10 pm the lounge is open most hours during the day.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Matthew Wood
I'm considering using the Amex 2 for 1 to go First Class.
Are you talking about the UK MBNA Amex?
I believe it is only able to be used for Y and C not F bookings
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by modularmayhem
Are you talking about the UK MBNA Amex?
I believe it is only able to be used for Y and C not F bookings
No I think he's talking about the 2 for 1 deal which is offered to US Amex Platinum and Centurion card holders. You buy one full fare J/F ticket on a variety of airlines and get the second for free. If I remember correctly they call it the companion airfare.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by Emirates202
No I think he's talking about the 2 for 1 deal which is offered to US Amex Platinum and Centurion card holders. You buy one full fare J/F ticket on a variety of airlines and get the second for free. If I remember correctly they call it the companion airfare.
wow!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
Yes its the US Companion Airfare on Amex Platinum. Not really a deal for Business unless you need to be fully flexible, but definitely considering it for 1st.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by kuroko
wow!
'Wow' indeed.

Can't say I'm totally familiar with the nuts & bolts of the offer, but this is the second/third time I've seen it mentioned. On the face of it, it certainly does seem to have the Wow factor.

I can only imagine that - having on the one hand made life that much more difficult for its regular flyers based outside the US by gradual devaluation of the Skywards programme - EK is now keen to make things that much more attractive for those inside the US. And so, to help out any US residents who might not be EK regulars and who might not have yet accumulated enough AS miles to snag an EK redemption ticket, Emirates decided to participate in the US Companion Airfare deal .......

No criticism of our American cousins (fill your boots I say ....), but it does highlight - not for the first time - just how uneven the playing field has become.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
'Wow' indeed.

Can't say I'm totally familiar with the nuts & bolts of the offer, but this is the second/third time I've seen it mentioned. On the face of it, it certainly does seem to have the Wow factor.

I can only imagine that - having on the one hand made life that much more difficult for its regular flyers based outside the US by gradual devaluation of the Skywards programme - EK is now keen to make things that much more attractive for those inside the US. And so, to help out any US residents who might not be EK regulars and who might not have yet accumulated enough AS miles to snag an EK redemption ticket, Emirates decided to participate in the US Companion Airfare deal .......

No criticism of our American cousins (fill your boots I say ....), but it does highlight - not for the first time - just how uneven the playing field has become.
It's not as good as it sounds at first glance: you need to book a qualifying fare through AMEX Travel Services - most of them are full-fare flexible tickets only, so on EK that's usually Flex Plus only for IAP. Amex also, as an agent, can and sometimes does charge a premium to the published fares eligible for the offer. 2x saver is often cheaper or a similar price to 2 tickets available under the offer - especially if you look at ex-USA DXB O/D fares.

FWIW, Amex operate the programme in many other countries, but with different airline partners.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Agreed, it's generally better to buy two business class seats, but for First, I haven't found any seats other than fully flex, so while it's significantly more expensive than two business savers, if you want to fly first its a great option. Note I haven't pulled the trigger yet./

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.