Search

Amex Companion Ticket & Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK - Silver
Amex Companion Ticket & Upgrade

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been answered previously, I've done a search but was not able to find anything. I also spoke to the call center, but not sure they realized what i was asking.

I've qualified for a companion reward ticket via spend from my EK Amex card. I'm hoping someone could answer these...

1. Can I use a companion ticket on a mixed class fare? (traveling Economy Flex plus, returning Business Saver)
2. Can i upgrade the economy flex plus outward journey companion ticket using miles? ( i know i can u/g my own)
3. Do we qualify for chauffeur drive if upgrading the economy flex plus?

Thanks In Advance,

Matt
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Matt.Edwards
Hi All,

Apologies if this has been answered previously, I've done a search but was not able to find anything. I also spoke to the call center, but not sure they realized what i was asking.

I've qualified for a companion reward ticket via spend from my EK Amex card. I'm hoping someone could answer these...

1. Can I use a companion ticket on a mixed class fare? (traveling Economy Flex plus, returning Business Saver)
2. Can i upgrade the economy flex plus outward journey companion ticket using miles? ( i know i can u/g my own)
3. Do we qualify for chauffeur drive if upgrading the economy flex plus?

Thanks In Advance,

Matt
1 - companion tickets are only valid if the full price ticket is a Flex fare or above *and* there is saver reward availability for all sectors. I don't think there would be any problems with a Y flex out and J flex back, but
2 - companion tickets come out of the saver redemption bucket, so are not valid for further upgrades
3 - if you upgrade with miles or cash you are eligible for chauffeur drive if offered at the departure and arrival airports (except upgrading through a special targeted offer or at the airport/onboard)
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hi there, by way of further info over & above that already provided by eternal transit, you might want to check out the small print (and there sure is plenty of it ....!) covering the companion reward ticket. Specifically, clause 7 here .......

http://www.emirates.com/uk/english/s...anks/mbna.aspx

Best of luck
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK - Silver
Thank You both for your replies.

Ended up going the Economy flex, business return and u/g using miles.

They had no reward flights available for the dates I wanted to travel.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
In April 2014 , I used the Companion reward feature of the UK MBNA amex card and booked a flex J for me and a Companion reward for mrukdoctor.The tickets were booked for September 2014.

Before booking , I had checked for D category seats on the flights using expertflyer and had to make the booking by phone .

After booking the tickets, I went online and managed to upgrade both of us to F.( Both tickets had different booking reference numbers) . I had posted my experience on the forum last year . The rules were exactly the same then.

I am not sure if the MBNA companion reward has the same upgrade restriction ( though it comes out of the same 'D' pool used for saver rewards). I agree that it is not correlating with the T&C but it did work for me.

PS: I have mrsukdoctors eticket on my phone ( before and after the upgrade). I will post it after anonymising it in a couple of hours .

PS: I will be doing a similar booking in a few months and therefore I am keeping my fingers crossed. Will post the result on this thread.

Last edited by ukdoctor; Sep 4, 2015 at 1:50 am
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
I am not sure if the MBNA companion reward has the same upgrade restriction ( though it comes out of the same 'D' pool used for saver rewards). I agree that it is not correlating with the T&C but it did work for me.
^

EK inconsistency and IT - it taketh away but sometimes it giveth
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
In April 2014 , I used the Companion reward feature of the UK MBNA amex card and booked a flex J for me and a Companion reward for mrukdoctor.The tickets were booked for September 2014.

Before booking , I had checked for D category seats on the flights using expertflyer and had to make the booking by phone .

After booking the tickets, I went online and managed to upgrade both of us to F.( Both tickets had different booking reference numbers) . I had posted my experience on the forum last year . The rules were exactly the same then.

PS: I have mrsukdoctors eticket on my phone ( before and after the upgrade). I will post it after anonymising it in a couple of hours .

PS: I will be doing a similar booking in a few months and therefore I am keeping my fingers crossed. Will post the result on this thread.
Well done! Any plans to travel to del or stop in Dxb?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:36 am

Original ticket

After upgrading return leg of ticket with miles to F

Last edited by ukdoctor; Sep 5, 2015 at 5:45 am
Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by m3red
Well done! Any plans to travel to del or stop in Dxb?

Not at the moment . Have four flights via DXB in October /November . Do you have any trips then ? Havent checked the meetup thread.

Last edited by ukdoctor; Sep 5, 2015 at 6:35 am
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Not at the moment . Have four flights via DXB in October /November . Do you have any trips then ? Havent checked the meetup thread.
This is what's booked ^

Manchester and back 11/14 sept

Amman 22-24 sept

Phuket 15-20 oct

Cape Town 18-29 nov

Manchester 23 dec back 28/29th
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by m3red
This is what's booked ^

Manchester and back 11/14 sept

Amman 22-24 sept

Phuket 15-20 oct

Cape Town 18-29 nov

Manchester 23 dec back 28/29th

I am on EK530 on 16th Oct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.