Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates cockpit policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Emirates cockpit policy

I am sure we have all read the news today about the co pilot locking the door and the captain could not enter on the German wings flight.
How could this happen? I always assumed when a member of the cockpit leaves he is relieved by the cabin crew so there are always 2 in the cockpit?
Curious to know if emirates upholds this rule or does it vary from country? Does the EK flight crew call a senior member of the crew to sit in?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: EK Platinum
They don't have such a rule (yet!). But this will very likely change now.
FO or CPT can be alone in the cockpit for a certain period of time.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by w00t
I've seen the pilot and co pilot out and about in the f cabin even one getting his prayer mat out. Never anyone goes in their place as far as I know!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
This, from the usually reliable (albeit not impeccable) BBC world news website :

" ..........There is also the question of how many people must be in the cockpit at any one time. Flight attendant Heather Poole tweeted: "In the US a flight attendant always goes into the cockpit whenever a pilot takes a break/leaves."
In contrast, Germanwings cockpit protocols are in line with rules established by the German aviation safety authority, the Luftfahrt Bundesamt. This dictates that when there are two crew, one can leave the cockpit - but only for the absolute minimum time.
Other airlines have a "rule of two", where if a pilot leaves the cockpit for any length of time, another crew member must replace them. However, this is not the case with Lufthansa or other major airlines."
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by w00t
This is quite scary. Sure airlines will be looking at this asap
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:14 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

On a flight to MRU last year, we hit a bit of turbulence just before the descent.

The captain appeared from the galley behind me (in the small J section on the 777) and ran towards the cockpit.

I was slightly concerned at first, but it quickly smoothed out again.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
On a flight to MRU last year, we hit a bit of turbulence just before the descent.

The captain appeared from the galley behind me (in the small J section on the 777) and ran towards the cockpit.

I was slightly concerned at first, but it quickly smoothed out again.

Only slightly concerned? I would have needed a change of pants and underpants if I saw that.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
BBC news tonight-Easyjet,Thomson and Thomas Cook have with immediate effect introduced a ruling that another member of the crew has to be on the flight deck if one of the pilots leaves. Lufthansa and BA amongst others are expected to make announcements soon.
No doubt it will role out Internationally.
SS
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:16 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Emirates Airline, the world’s largest by international traffic, also changed its rules. The Dubai-based carrier said it has “today implemented a new operating policy where there would always be two crew members in the cockpit.” The new guidance “is effective immediately,” a spokesman said.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/uk-regul...les-1427397688
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Mind pasting the article as I am not subscribed to wsj.......thanks
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:41 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
WSJ Article Text

U.K. Regulator Asks Airlines to Review Cockpit Occupancy Rules
Canada adopts two-crew member rule effective immediately
By ROBERT WALL
Updated March 26, 2015 4:56 p.m. ET
0 COMMENTS
LONDON—European airlines and regulators moved swiftly to require at least two people are in a plane’s cockpit after it emerged the co-pilot of Germanwings Flight 9525 appeared to have crashed the plane while alone in the cockpit. Meanwhile, Canada said Thursday it would enact the two-person rule effective immediately.

The U.K. Civil Aviation Authority urged airlines to review their policy on cockpit occupancy and suggested they make having two people present standard operating procedure, a spokesman said.

The European Aviation Safety Agency with authority over such rules is in talks with stakeholders on what may need to be done, a spokesman said.

Canadian Transport Minister Lisa Raitt told reporters of the policy change following Thursday’s parliamentary question-period session, saying it was meant to “fill a gap” in Canadian air-safety rules. She added the order applies to any two members of a passenger flight crew, encompassing pilots and flight attendants.

Two of Canada’s largest airlines, Air Canada and WestJet Airlines Ltd., said they were already planning to implement the changes in light of the incident.

Germanwings Co-Pilot Named as Andreas Lubitz
Families of Victims Arrive Near Crash Site
Flight 9525 | At a Glance: The Last 30 Minutes | Details on Victims
Crash Throws Spotlight on Cockpit Security
Fresh Concerns Over Threat Posed by Insiders Raised
In the U.S., two crew members must be in the cockpit at all times.

Germanwings parent Deutsche Lufthansa AG said its rules allowing the pilot or co-pilot to be alone on the cockpit for a brief time hadn’t changed.

Related Video

The co-pilot of Germanwings Flight 9525 appears to have deliberately crashed the plane, leaving 150 people dead. What happened in the flight’s last ten minutes? WSJ’s Jason Bellini has #TheShortAnswer.
Flight 9525 co-pilot Andreas Lubitz, a 27-year-old German national, appears to have intentionally put the A320 jet with 150 people on board on its descent that ended in a crash on Tuesday killing all on board, French Prosecutor Brice Robin said Thursday. The pilot, who had left the cockpit earlier, was locked outside by the Mr. Lubitz, the French prosecutor said.

Advertisement

Air Berlin PLC said that as of Friday two staff members would always be in the cockpit even if the pilot or co-pilot stepped out. Norwegian Air Shuttle adopted such a policy earlier Thursday.

Ryanair Holdings PLC, Europe’s largest budget carrier, already has such a policy in place, a spokesman said. “If a pilot needs to visit the bathroom the cabin crew supervisor is required to stand in the cockpit for these brief periods,” Dublin-based Ryanair said.

Emirates Airline, the world’s largest by international traffic, also changed its rules. The Dubai-based carrier said it has “today implemented a new operating policy where there would always be two crew members in the cockpit.” The new guidance “is effective immediately,” a spokesman said.

The U.K. regulator said it could only recommend such a step since the mandate rests with European authorities.

—Paul Vieira contributed to this article from Ottawa.

Write to Robert Wall at [email protected]
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: EK Platinum
FYI: Not official yet, but first EK briefings already had this today

No more than 2 cabin crew in cockpit at any one time. And if one cockpit crew leaves - one (preferably male) cabin crew has to enter and sit on the observation seat.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

thanks so much!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:14 am

I guess it would be ironic if it weren't so tragic that they introduce measures to counter terrorism which leaves things open to pilot sabotage/suicide. At least it was left open in Europe which had for some reason a different policy to the US where a pilot/co pilot leaving the cockpit has to be replaced by another member of the crew.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
On some US flights even last year, the pilot who exits the cockpit wasnot always replaced by a member of cabin crew while the other cockpit crew member is in the cabin. But those were exceptions.

Just wait until there's a future incident where a cabin crew member/flight attendant assaults and incapacitates the remaining pilot in the cockpit and locks out the other pilot from re-entering the cockpit. Then will the rule change again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.