Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Dubai 1-day stopover.... any hotel withing walking distance to DXB terminal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai 1-day stopover.... any hotel withing walking distance to DXB terminal?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Stay away from the Holiday Inn Express by the airport. Terrible staff. Rude management. My credit card details ended up being stolen here. The rooms walls are thin as crackers so you can easily hear your neighbor and if you don’t get a room by the elevator you don’t get internet.
Couldn't agree more - absolut rubbish hotel. When I stayed there last year my room stank like a gigantic ashtray. No alternative room offered. And lots of noise from corridor and neighbouring rooms. Worst night in Dubai ever!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
sounds like too much hassle just to have a "view" of Burj Al Arab... I think I am just gonna go check out the Burj Khalifa and surrounding since there is a metro stop right there.... easier to get back to airport.
Be aware that the metro station is at least a 15-20 minute walk to Burj Khalifa, using the above-ground walkway from the station that takes you through the Dubai Mall. It's the best way to get there as navigating the roads and the traffic there is confusing and will take you longer.

I have just noticed how old the original post is. Any advice 4 years later is a tad late!!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by XXTSGR

Couldn't agree more - absolut rubbish hotel. When I stayed there last year my room stank like a gigantic ashtray. No alternative room offered. And lots of noise from corridor and neighbouring rooms. Worst night in Dubai ever!
Add insult to injury the staff was so rude about it when I complained. They wrote me this letter back that they had gone into my room far from the elevators and tested the internet and it was fine. That there was no way my credit card could have been stolen there. Basically calling me a liar when they were the ones blatantly lying instead of acting like everyone in the customer service industry “hey we’re sorry, we’ll fix those things and try better next time.” There’s a reason they have the reviews they do. It’s obviously owned/ran by some very arrogant and pompous person. On that trip I stopped in Dubai, went to Australia, visited Hong Kong, and perhaps Thailand?

Anyway, the reason I KNOW the credit card was stolen there somehow was because that was the ONLY card I used on the entire international trip was at THEIR property to get some UAE cash. I did not use that card anywhere else in any other country the entire trip. Lo and behold I come home to find a bunch of flights within the Philippines booked using THAT card.

Just really disgusting way to respond to a customer who had a horrible stay at their property.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Very interesting to read about the misuse of a credit card at the Holiday Inn near Dubai airport. The same thing happened to me in July 2018.

I checked in at 1 am and paid by credit card. At 6:45 am I received two text messages from my bank informing me that my credit card had been used at two places in Saudi Arabia. One place was the Emirates office in Riyadh and the amount was SR14,500. I have not been to Saudi since 2007. I immediately phoned my bank and they blocked the card and hopefully managed to stop the transactions.

It was the first time I had used this credit card in a month. I had never let it out of my sight and no-one else knew the pin code. It could only have happened at the hotel. I reported this to the hotel management and told my bank that it was likely committed by a hotel employee.

I would never stay at the Holiday Inn again. I use the nearby Premier Inn.

Last edited by Longton; Aug 7, 2019 at 12:41 pm Reason: Forgotten something
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Longton
Very interesting to read about the misuse of a credit card at the Holiday Inn near Dubai airport. The same thing happened to me in July 2018.

I checked in at 1 am and paid by credit card. At 6:45 am I received two text messages from my bank informing me that my credit card had been used at two places in Saudi Arabia. One place was the Emirates office in Riyadh and the amount was SR14,500. I have not been to Saudi since 2007. I immediately phoned my bank and they blocked the card and hopefully managed to stop the transactions.

It was the first time I had used this credit card in a month. I had never let it out of my sight and no-one else knew the pin code. It could only have happened at the hotel. I reported this to the hotel management and told my bank that it was likely committed by a hotel employee.

I would never stay at the Holiday Inn again. I use the nearby Premier Inn.
Wow. That’s crazy. I’m pretty sure my stay was around summer 2017 so definitely not uncommon. They claimed it was impossible.

I had suspected someone in hotel security since my card was never physically in anyone’s hands for them to copy. My card could’ve been spotted from a surveillance camera. That’s bizarre and we should make a complaints about this to IHG management directly since obviously there is an employee thief who may still be on premises.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:21 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I had suspected someone in hotel security since my card was never physically in anyone’s hands for them to copy. My card could’ve been spotted from a surveillance camera. That’s bizarre and we should make a complaints about this to IHG management directly since obviously there is an employee thief who may still be on premises.

Far more likely it was skimmed by a device on the ATM. Not sure how prevalent that is in the UAE, but it's common in the UK.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:06 am

Wow. That’s crazy. I’m pretty sure my stay was around summer 2017 so definitely not uncommon. They claimed it was impossible.

I believe that particular hotel in Dubai is managed by Al Abjar Group part of Al Mullah Group. You could try IHG management but shouldn't expect much besides a standard cookie cutter reply. If possible, try and use credit cards issued in countries which offer greater consumer protection. Unfortunately, not possible for everyone.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

Far more likely it was skimmed by a device on the ATM. Not sure how prevalent that is in the UAE, but it's common in the UK.
Yep, most likely since it's just a stand alone private owned one.

However, many cards now are stolen via NFC on anybody's smartphone that has the app installed and remotely pull all the information from the card.

I ran across a couple of females from the Philippines doing that at the metro station. Approaching tourists (me) and giving advice on which way to go and asking nosey questions. The girl had two cellphones in her hand with the screens facing each other. She was standing very close to me and she kept peeking at the screens. I wear an rfid money belt, so none of my cards were picking up. When I noticed what she was doing I told her I'm fine and have a nice day.

But, if somebody working at the hotel reservation desk had that app activated on their smartphone with NFC, they can pull up any credit card embedded data emitted to them or within pickup range. I witnessed the same thing in Turkey a few years ago too.

I appreciate the merchants that provide you with the handheld card reader so you can remove your card from its rfid sleeve and insert it yourself in the machine and quickly remove it from the reader and return the card to its protective sleeve when the transaction is completed.

​​​​
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Longton
......I would never stay at the Holiday Inn again. I use the nearby Premier Inn.
I have an refundable extended stay reserved at that holiday inn and I totally forgot about how rude those people were when I went last time until I read all these replies. I've been considering Premier Inn, and now I'm thinking of cancelling my reservation with holiday inn. Don't need any issues!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I have an refundable extended stay reserved at that holiday inn and I totally forgot about how rude those people were when I went last time until I read all these replies. I've been considering Premier Inn, and now I'm thinking of cancelling my reservation with holiday inn. Don't need any issues!
Between the two and in that price category, the Premier Inn wins hands down!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by XXTSGR

Between the two and in that price category, the Premier Inn wins hands down!
Thanks. I'm cancelling the other reservation, momentarily. I was on the fence anyway.

Edit: Done!

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Aug 8, 2019 at 9:02 am
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:42 pm

Yeah I think it’s very fair to say out of ALL the brand named hotels in Dubai, the Holiday Inn Express DXB airport is atrocious and should be avoided.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I can recommend the Le Meridian next to the airport - they have sent me a driver last time without charge - 5min drive. Or the JW Marriott Marquis which is only a 20min drive outside of rush hour - from there you can easily Uber to Burj Khalifa or Jumeirah.

I would not consider walking as Dubai is generally not really designed for walking (and 30 degrees at night w/ 80% humidity easily can happen).

D
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I can recommend the Le Meridian next to the airport - they have sent me a driver last time without charge - 5min drive. Or the JW Marriott Marquis which is only a 20min drive outside of rush hour - from there you can easily Uber to Burj Khalifa or Jumeirah.

I would not consider walking as Dubai is generally not really designed for walking (and 30 degrees at night w/ 80% humidity easily can happen).

D
Yes, Le Meridien is a good choice, which is most likely why EK use it extensively for pax who qualify (and in some cases do not qualify) for DC...
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:39 pm

I stay at the Le Meridian Fairway when in Dubai. It's about a mile and a half from the airport, a block away from the metro station, the first stop after the airport, across the road from the Deira City Mall. The rates are very good--much better than the Le Meridian at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.