FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Dubai 1-day stopover.... any hotel withing walking distance to DXB terminal? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1664395-dubai-1-day-stopover-any-hotel-withing-walking-distance-dxb-terminal.html)

uclacolumbiaunc Mar 18, 2015 6:14 pm

Dubai 1-day stopover.... any hotel withing walking distance to DXB terminal?

I think there is a hotel within terminal, but I think it's on the airside. If I am having a 1-day stopover, I would want to head to downtown to check out Burj Khalifa... If I stay in the hotel inside terminal, can you still get your luggage and walk in and out of the terminal?

If it's not possible to stay in the hotel within terminal, any hotel within walking distance to DXB terminal and metro station? I think Holiday Inn Express looks pretty close to terminal on the map, but I am not positive it's within walking distance.

If I have to take shuttle to airport, then I may as well stay in downtown Dubai.

DYKWIA Mar 18, 2015 6:18 pm

Le Meridien and Al Bustan Rotana are across the road from T1 and walkable. You follow the signs for the car park, and this takes you across the main road via a walkway.

uclacolumbiaunc Mar 18, 2015 6:28 pm

what about holiday inn express? I am considering both le meridien and holiday in express if both are walkable from terminal 3... (I think Emirates flights to Asia leave from T3 instead of T1)..

RadioGirl Mar 18, 2015 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc (Post 24529379)
If I stay in the hotel inside terminal, can you still get your luggage and walk in and out of the terminal?

I can't comment on hotels outside the airport, but in relation to the airside hotel, the terms says:

Originally Posted by Dubai Int'l Hotel policies
Passengers are strongly advised not to pass through Immigration and Customs and exit the Terminal as they will be denied access to the Hotel until 3 hours prior to their ongoing flight’s departure time.

So I think once you exited the terminal you wouldn't be able to get back to the airside hotel until 3 hours before your flight.

uclacolumbiaunc Mar 18, 2015 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl (Post 24529740)
I can't comment on hotels outside the airport, but in relation to the airside hotel, the terms says:

So I think once you exited the terminal you wouldn't be able to get back to the airside hotel until 3 hours before your flight.

Then I guess I can forget about terminal hotel if I have a 1-day layover.

B747-437B Mar 18, 2015 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc (Post 24529440)
what about holiday inn express? I am considering both le meridien and holiday in express if both are walkable from terminal 3... (I think Emirates flights to Asia leave from T3 instead of T1)..

Holiday Inn Express is on the other side of a major road from T3. Walkable DISTANCE but no pathway to walk on. You need to take the Metro from T3 to Emirates station to access the Holiday Inn Express.

There is no hotel that is easily walkable from T3. There are many that are right on the metro line however.

UAworldwide Mar 19, 2015 12:12 am

I do the one night stay in Dubai a lot, and I prefer to take the metro a few stops and take a hotel near a metro station. The hotels that are close to the terminal are not so easily walkable due to road layout, as others have mentioned.

There are so many options just 2 to 4 metro stations from the airport, however be aware that the metro timings are not great for very early morning flights, I think the service stops around 1am and starts around 5:30am.

RadioGirl Mar 19, 2015 12:42 am

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc (Post 24530010)
Then I guess I can forget about terminal hotel if I have a 1-day layover.

Hmm. Probably.

I was going to post the conditions that were in the email they sent me when I recently made a reservation, then thought they might be on the hotel website, and found this:

Originally Posted by Dubai International Hotel FAQ
During my stay in the Hotel, Can I go out to the city and get back to my room later?

This would depend upon the following:

If you are citizen of a country that doesn’t require a pre-approved visa to enter the country, the you can go out, however only passengers travelling on Emirates Airlines on their onward journey can come back into the Airport and the Hotel at any time, because Emirates Airlines permits check-in 6hrs. prior to flight departure. However passengers travelling on Emirates Airlines to destinations in the USA can only check-in 3 hrs. prior to flight departure.

Passengers travelling on other airlines can only check-in 3 hrs. prior to flight departure.

As the Hotel is meant mainly for transit passengers, it is advisable that you get your boarding pass for your onward flight as soon as you arrive at Dubai Airport. This can be done at the various transfer desks located in the Concourse C – Terminal 1 and Concourse A & B – Terminal 3. You can also get your boarding pass for your onward flight from Dubai, at the Airport of origin.

I admit I'm confused about the "if your onward flight is on Emirates you can come back any time because Emirates (except to the US) allows check-in 6 hrs before flight." That would suggest you can only come back to the airport (and airside hotel) 6 hrs before your flight.

Anyway, here are the conditions from the email confirmation of my booking (I quoted item 1.2 earlier). Emphasis mine.

Originally Posted by DIH
1.1 If you are flying into Dubai International Airport, the Dubai International Hotel is located inside the Airport Terminal Buildings before Passport Control (Immigration and Customs) in all three Concourses A, B and C. You must be in Transit to Access the Hotel.
1.2 Passengers are strongly advised not to pass through Immigration and Customs and exit the Terminal as they will be denied access to the Hotel until 3 hours prior to their ongoing flight’s departure time.
2.1 If you are arriving at Dubai International Airport from Dubai City, the Dubai International Hotel is located inside the Airport Terminal Buildings after Passport Control (Immigration and Customs) in all three Concourses A, B and C. You must be checked in to a flight to Access the hotel.
2.2 Passengers are strongly advised to confirm the check in times of flights and the details of their check in procedures with their respective Airlines.
3.0 If you are arriving to Terminal 2, do not exit the Terminal and pass through Passport Control (Immigration and Customs). You will have to go to the Transfer Desk and use the free inter-terminal shuttle bus to gain access to Concourses A, B or C.
4.0 Access to the Hotel Reception in Concourse A can be made using the elevators located near gates A1 or A24. In Concourse B, access to the Hotel Reception can be made using the elevators located near gates B12 or B22. In Concourse C, one can access the Hotel Reception using the dedicated escalators or elevators located in between gates C15 and C17.
5.0 Passengers can access and move between all three Concourses A, B and C. (On the Airside Only).
6.0 It is strongly recommended that passengers carry their toiletries etc. in their hand luggage as they will be unable to retrieve their checked-in luggage for the reasons mentioned in the points above.
7.0 Check Out time will be a maximum 24 hours after the Actual Check In time. (This point is Only applicable for reservations made with Daily Rates and is Not applicable for reservations made under Hourly Rates or Multiple Night bookings).
8.0 Children under 12 years of age stay free with an accompanied adult (we can accommodate a maximum of 2 Adults and 1 Child per room).
9.0 An Extra bed is charged at the rate of 110.00AED. Only one Extra Bed can be placed per room.
10.0 Baby Cots are available without any extra charge. Baby Cots are subject to availability.

eternaltransit Mar 19, 2015 1:11 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl (Post 24530696)
Hmm. Probably.

I was going to post the conditions that were in the email they sent me when I recently made a reservation, then thought they might be on the hotel website, and found this:

I admit I'm confused about the "if your onward flight is on Emirates you can come back any time because Emirates (except to the US) allows check-in 6 hrs before flight." That would suggest you can only come back to the airport (and airside hotel) 6 hrs before your flight.

Anyway, here are the conditions from the email confirmation of my booking (I quoted item 1.2 earlier). Emphasis mine.

It refers to airside access in the situation you haven't got your boarding pass yet - clearly if you check in and leave the terminal without a boarding pass and come back, you need to wait for check-in to open in DXB for your onward flight to be allowed back in, i.e. no exceptions for checked in hotel pax.

DYKWIA Mar 19, 2015 2:27 am

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc (Post 24529440)

I don't know about the Holiday Inn Express. However, you can get the metro from T3 to T1, and then walk to Le Meridien.

RadioGirl Mar 19, 2015 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 24530762)
It refers to airside access in the situation you haven't got your boarding pass yet - clearly if you check in and leave the terminal without a boarding pass and come back, you need to wait for check-in to open in DXB for your onward flight to be allowed back in, i.e. no exceptions for checked in hotel pax.

Yeah, I get that. What confuses me is:
  • Non-Emirates, or Emirates to US, check-in opens 3 hrs prior = no access to hotel until 3 hrs prior.
  • Emirates (not to US), check-in opens 6 hrs prior = access to hotel "any time".
It would seem like the latter would mean you can only get airside within 6 hrs of your flight.

My thought process is that access to hotel (from the outside) = access airside = passing immigration and security = (I assume) having a BP for onward flight.

I guess if the OP already has a BP for the onward flight when arriving in DXB, then coming and going airside would be okay. Probably the key issue is whether the time in DXB is counted as a transit (in which case they would get both BPs at origin or get the second BP at a transit desk airside) or a stopover (in which case they need to check in again at DXB for the second flight, 6 hrs prior to flight.)

Or I'm just confused. ;)

Stephenk82 Mar 20, 2015 12:11 am

The Holiday Inn Express and the Premier Inn (and I'm sure many other hotels) run free shuttle buses to and from the airport fairly regularly. So if it's proximity to the airport you're after they may be a good option.

However, you can get hotels as far as the marina with a 30 min, 60/70Dhs max taxi journey. I'd expand your hotel search a bit further than just around the airport.

beckoa Mar 20, 2015 2:55 am

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

So if one has a 30 hour layover in DXB enroute to USA, the earliest one can check-in/check bags is T-3? :(

Thanks!

uclacolumbiaunc Mar 20, 2015 9:05 pm

Is it possible to see Burj Khalifa and Burj Al Arab in one day without car? I don't plan on driving in the 1-day stopover, but, even though there is a metro stop from airport to Burj Khalifa, I can't find any efficient way to get from Burj Khalifa to Burj Al Arab.... If I take taxi from Burj Khalifa to Burj Al Arab, how difficult is it to find a taxi in the Burj Al Arab area??

B747-437B Mar 20, 2015 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc (Post 24541049)
Is it possible to see Burj Khalifa and Burj Al Arab in one day without car? I don't plan on driving in the 1-day stopover, but, even though there is a metro stop from airport to Burj Khalifa, I can't find any efficient way to get from Burj Khalifa to Burj Al Arab.... If I take taxi from Burj Khalifa to Burj Al Arab, how difficult is it to find a taxi in the Burj Al Arab area??

You can't actually go to the Burj Al Arab (which is located on a small island just off the Jumeirah Beach Road) without a reservation for either a room or a meal. The closest you can get is the bridge next to the Jumeirah Beach Hotel/Wild Wadi Water Park.

My suggestion to "see" the Burj Al Arab is to go to the Souk Madinat Jumeirah (just on the other side of the Burj Al Arab) - they have the best "public" views of the building from the outside. There are also excellent views from the Jumeirah Beach Hotel's grounds.

In any case, it should be very easy to get a taxi at either the Jumeirah Beach Hotel or the Souk Madinat. Lot's of tourists at both.