Last edit by: BOB W
Guide to EK F:
  1. Have a big breakfast in the F lounge
  2. Board and have some DP
  3. Watch a film with more DP
  4. Order another DP
  5. After a couple of hours, have your meal, washed down with DP
  6. Take a shower with DP
  7. Wander down to the bar (preferably with a bottle of DP from F and in PJ's)
  8. After a couple of hours, stagger back to your seat
  9. Have a glass of DP for a nightcap.
  10. Sleep for a few hours?
  11. Breakfast (with another glass of DP)
  12. Land

#2A order Caviar and/or cold smoked duck appetizer
#4A, just ask for an ice bucket and a bottle of Dom. Pre-opened of course.
Print Wikipost

Making the most of First Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: EK Gold
I never put my pyjamas on
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by RichL
Is this before or after changing your clothes, and with the suite doors open or closed...

Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by washeelers747
Perfect timing - I was going to create a post to seek advices to maximize my first (hopefully not last if AS/EK dont do anything about award booking issues) trip few day later. Anyways - anyone know if I have to pay for cigars in F lounge? I'll take LAX-DXB-BKK (3.5 hour in DXB and thought i would get cigar after free 15 min massage).

Prayyyy that I'll drink some henessey paradis!
Reporting in from the Concourse A F lounge - unfortunately the cigars are not complimentary and range from 30-60 AED. A selection of 4-5 but I am not an aficionado so I can't comment as to their quality. Montecristo Eagles I was pointed to but I don't smoke, so I have no idea if that is any good!
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Reporting in from the Concourse A F lounge - unfortunately the cigars are not complimentary and range from 30-60 AED. A selection of 4-5 but I am not an aficionado so I can't comment as to their quality. Montecristo Eagles I was pointed to but I don't smoke, so I have no idea if that is any good!
What other things from the F lounge are complimentary that aren't widely advertised?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by RichL
But I'm assuming/hoping you do actually leave some normal clothing on ......

Sometimes I make use of the PJ's, sometimes not. Depends on flight duration.

Speaking of PJ's generally .....I was truly amazed to read a little while back of a poster who was recommending (IIRC) Etihad's J class over EK's - purely on the basis that Etihad provide PJ's in business and EK do not. How the Etihad execs must have loved seeing that ! (we spend less than $10 on some freebies, and that's enough to get us extra punters ..... )
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Is this before or after changing your clothes, and with the suite doors open or closed...

I snuck a bra change in my suite after changing out of my jarmies!!! I was super quick.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
What other things from the F lounge are complimentary that aren't widely advertised?
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I snuck a bra change in my suite after changing out of my jarmies!!! I was super quick.
Free stuff in the F lounge: err, in Concourse A, there are slippers in the shower room, usually you can only get one pair from on board. Also the usual assortment of F specific dental kits, shaving kits, shower caps, combs. The F dental kit, in case anyone is wondering, has Colgate Total toothpaste instead of regular Colgate

Most people also do not take advantage of the 30 minute haircut or blow-dry at the spa. Shoe shine is also complimentary. There are charging stations now available, but I don't know if that is in the J lounge as well.

--

I was once on a ULH with a QF CL member, whom I only assume thought the suite doors were a novelty and reached the ceilings like an actual suite, as he was totally naked throughout most of the flight (thankfully "indoors"). What he didn't realise is that walking up and down the aisle were some tall FAs who couldn't help but notice as they walked past! That and the habit of calling for service wearing a blanket made the galley gossip rather memorable!

Note to everyone: the suite doors are only about 4' high!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: free agent
Just finished my F flight few days ago, and apologize for not report back earlier. The flight was epic and crew was fun/pleasant.. i love how crew like to chat in J/F section, compare to Y for obvious reasons (400 pax to feed, etc). However, I am gonna cut back on Dom when I fly again, because i don't remember end of my flight but at least, assistant was there in DXB to make sure i'm all good and able to catch next flight (he said stay away from booze for little bit ). No regrets, because i did live like a king for 16 hours LAX-DXB flight, but took it easy on DXB-BKK because i am trying to sober up/headaches start to kick in.

LAX lounge was awesome, and it looks like some EK executives were there on same day for grand opening but didnt see any bigwigs (they put a large A380 banner near food area, but not sure if it's a permament display, or temp for photo ops)

oh two more thing, I was able to drink paradis, but not really a cognac drinker, so i dont know any difference. In addition, didnt have time for cigars, because it was short connection, thanks to LAX runway construction delay but yeah, gotta pay for it. Next time!

Last edited by washeelers747; Mar 22, 2015 at 4:54 pm Reason: add cigar / paradis comment
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Note to everyone: the suite doors are only about 4' high!
Yes, but they are tall enough that most people can change into their PJ's without any problems. I recall them being a bit taller than 4', closer to 5'.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by BOB W
Yes, but they are tall enough that most people can change into their PJ's without any problems. I recall them being a bit taller than 4', closer to 5'.
I think the issue is clearance to the ceiling - on the 777 the floor is slightly raised so it feels taller.

Yes, it is usually no problem to change in suite - I don't want to give people the impression everyone is just naked in the F cabin
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
Just completed my first ever EK First (thanks for all the suggestions) from DUB-AKL via MEL on the way out and BNE on the way back. No DP on the ground in DUB (plenty elsewhere), food pretty good across all sectors apart from trans-Tasman and the wine excellent. And the shower was great: not just a gimmick but genuinely refreshing when nearing the end of the journey and not an arrivals lounge in sight.

Only bad points were the trans-Tasman sectors where the cabin crew seemed uninterested and the food was relatively poor, flakey IFE controllers, the rubbish showers in DXB concourse B Flounge, the parents who did nothing about their toddler screaming for attention all the way from DXB-DUB and the idiot handlers at DXB who managed to get two bins stuck in the hold, causing an hour's delay which meant a sprint to T1 on landing at DUB to grab our final BA sector.

Overall pretty good if not quite at SQ/CX levels for service and food.

BC
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
On the wiki, can't really understand the big fascination with DP (it sucks according to me)? Why not fly Y and use the rest of the money to get 50 bottles instead, if that's all one wants to do.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by jackiedada
On the wiki, can't really understand the big fascination with DP (it sucks according to me)? Why not fly Y and use the rest of the money to get 50 bottles instead, if that's all one wants to do.
+ 1

The fascination is indeed quite odd. Based on a fair few posts over the last couple of years, I sometimes think Emirates could provide a wooden crate to sit on in the cargo hold, along with a mechanism to funnel constant supplies of DP down a pipe throughout the flight - and for certain pax, all would be good. A much-overrated beverage IMHO.....

But my comment isn't really directed at BlackCat. Thanks for your balanced mini-review, and good to hear that overall you enjoyed your long trip with EK (a fairly quick turnaround judging from your dates ....?), albeit with certain caveats.

I think your negative points highlight why it's sensible to manage expectations ahead of a 'first-ever' flight with a new carrier. Disappointing to hear about your trans-Tasman sectors, although not hugely surprised because I have found that there can be something of a bus trip mood from crew on that short route, even up in the front.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by jackiedada
It was a joke on my behalf! I actually tend to have one or two glasses, then hit the wine.

Not sure it warranted a Wiki
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
W/hat would one say is the minimum flight time required to really enjoy F? 8 hours air 9 hours scheduled solid?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.