Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Question re: economy seating - first time emirates flyer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)

Hi everyone-
My husband and I booked the jfk/milan deal. When we selected the seats after booking, all of the aisles were highlighted in blue as disabled/accessible seating - for every single aisle seat on the plane in economy. We did not take bassinet seats.

Do we need to worry about these seats being taken away from us for someone with a disability? If so, we will cancel and book through united (less convenient outbound for us). Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
It's the same for all flights. I've never once been moved or had any changes due to it.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marconess
It's the same for all flights. I've never once been moved or had any changes due to it.
Thanks! We booked aisles across from each other to maximize space.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:44 pm

Although technically anyone can be assigned anywhere at the discretion of the controller, it is extremely unlikely you'll lose your assignments. Anecdotally I flew 50 Y sectors on EK last year and the only time I got moved was when there was a tour group of 20 in the section I was originally in - my aisle preference was preserved though.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Although technically anyone can be assigned anywhere at the discretion of the controller, it is extremely unlikely you'll lose your assignments. Anecdotally I flew 50 Y sectors on EK last year and the only time I got moved was when there was a tour group of 20 in the section I was originally in - my aisle preference was preserved though.
Thanks very much - I wasn't sure if the aisle seating was somehow a "thing" like preferred seating.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: EK, QF, VA
Originally Posted by floridagal23
Thanks very much - I wasn't sure if the aisle seating was somehow a "thing" like preferred seating.
Same situation as for eternaltransit with me. On the one occasion I've been moved in the last few years (to spread the passenger load around the cabin because of low bookings) the booking staff had no issue with accommodating me in another aisle seat. At 6'4" tall I've only once ever sat in the middle in cattle class on my first ever international flight, and it'll never happen again.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
We just booked the same deal. We booked the 2 [J&K] seats towards the back of the plane. We would rather not sit next to anyone. Hoping it work ok - 3 rows from last row.

Any comments on these seats?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by DebitNM
We just booked the same deal. We booked the 2 [J&K] seats towards the back of the plane. We would rather not sit next to anyone. Hoping it work ok - 3 rows from last row.

Any comments on these seats?
I personally prefer these seats because galley noise doesn't bother me (if I need to sleep, that is what earplugs and eyeshade are for) and the aisle there is extra wide. I am not generally bothered about getting off the plane first. The only slightly negative thing is the overhead bin space can sometimes in rows 48-49-50 be taken up with crew things like the headphones and/or medical boxes. However as EK are generally quite strict with not letting people take excessive amounts of cabin baggage on board/bag size limits are enforced, there is usually enough space in the vicinity for bags to go up there.

Last edited by eternaltransit; Jan 19, 2015 at 10:10 pm
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:35 pm

My thoughts too, eternaltransit! I like to have window so I can lean on it to sleep and DH likes aisle. Works for us!

Last edited by DebitNM; Jan 19, 2015 at 7:40 pm
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:03 pm

We have often sat in the "couple" seats at the back of the plane, and love them if we can't go business.
We always make sure to get on as early as possible, as we find the overhead bins are regularly full and then your cabin bags get put elsewhere in the plance.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: Skywards,...
We also prefer these twosome seats at the end of the plane when flying Y on the 777ER, I never had issues with the overhead space.

The only annoyance is that your preferred choices for the meals might have run out when you get served (happened to us in about every other flight)
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: KLM, UA, Emirates, Marriotts
Last trip we also got those two-together seats, but ended up getting emergency exit seats for 4 out of 4 sectors. If you and/or your travel partner are pretty tall, it pays to be in the airport early to get those emergency exit seats!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
I prefer these seats as a solo traveller as people and the trolley don't knock you every 5 minutes due to the large aisle.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:25 am

We are both fairly short, so leg room isn't issue. I don't like exit room since the seats don't recline. Not doing any flight over 1 hour in a seat that doesn't recline, even a bit.

Order a special meal, that way you'll get served first and what you want!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Originally Posted by DebitNM
We are both fairly short, so leg room isn't issue. I don't like exit room since the seats don't recline. Not doing any flight over 1 hour in a seat that doesn't recline, even a bit.

Order a special meal, that way you'll get served first and what you want!
That backfires.

People who order special meals are often left with the tray in their tables for 2+ hours after they are finished eating. They are picked up with the regular trays, which are served about 30 minutes after the special ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.