Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

CPT-DXB-SEA: Business ($2200) or First ($3200)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

I needed a one way from CPT to SEA and came across some good EK fares:

Business (I): $2200 USD
First (A): $3200 USD

Both fares are refundable / changeable with a small fee and include a free stopover in DXB which I might use.

Is it worth $1000 extra going in First? Looks like both flights CPT-DXB and DXB-SEA are on 777-300ER so I should get lie flat in Business.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Go for it! Those are long flights, so F is definately worth the extra space and service.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
For just a thousand dollars more, its definite F for me.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:22 pm

I guess it all depends...is your household income $50,000USD or $500,000USD? Are you in debt up to your eyes or do you carry no debt? Will you sleep exponentially better in F than J or no? Most important, if your company is paying, will they go for F or J if the difference is $1K?
Thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Here's my customary test question for anyone who is already hesitant:
Which do you feel would help make your trip more enjoyable overall ? Spending the additional cash (in your case $1000) on either

a) a little extra comfort, for a limited period of time, in the air, OR
b) various luxuries/comforts/fripperies, and possibly of more 'lasting' benefit, at your destination (or indeed during your DXB s/over).....??

If you do spend it on the higher cabin class (and no harm in that, if it's what you want) you need to be sure you won't regret it after you've touched down !

As ever, ultimately comes down to personal priorities. (and I guess the third option is not to spend the $1000 at all ......)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by AntonS

Is it worth $1000 extra going in First? Looks like both flights CPT-DXB and DXB-SEA are on 777-300ER so I should get lie flat in Business.
You are the only one who can answer the question - those of us on FT have no idea of your personal circumstances or your preferences. For what it is worth 10 years ago I would have travelled in J and kept the $1000. Now I'm older and relatively better off I am happy to pay a premium for F as I enjoy the experience and I think I arrive more relaxed and refreshed from a long haul trip. Either way either J or F will deliver you in some comfort .
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
I needed a one way from CPT to SEA and came across some good EK fares:

Business (I): $2200 USD
First (A): $3200 USD

Both fares are refundable / changeable with a small fee and include a free stopover in DXB which I might use.

IMO, if the extra $1,000 is an amount that you can afford, then if I were you I'd definitely go with F on that aircraft.

If it's the 777-300ER, then business seats will be angled-flat -- not fully flat. And the configuration in J is 2-3-2 meaning that you have a good chance of having to climb over someone to get out of your seat.

The F cabin on that aircraft has just 8 individual enclosed, fully-flat suites in a 1-2-1 configuration. As others have pointed out, the quality of the food and beverage service is quite good up front. Business food doesn't look too bad, but I don't think they have free-flowing Dom or caviar back behind the J curtain.

I've flown the DXB-SEA route a couple of times in F -- it's superb. And I also walked through the other areas of the 777-300ER. The J travelers looked packed into their little 2-3-2 angled-flat seats ... not nearly as comfortable on such a long flight.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
IMO, if the extra $1,000 is an amount that you can afford, then if I were you I'd definitely go with F on that aircraft.

If it's the 777-300ER, then business seats will be angled-flat -- not fully flat.
Thank you! I thought all 777-300ERs had fully flat seats. If it's not the case I might go for F.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:28 pm

Thank you! I thought all 777-300ERs had fully flat seats. If it's not the case I might go for F.
They aren't so much slopey as in 150/160 degrees or old recliner style J seats but they are noticeably not as flat bed as the A380 in J.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: EK Silver
I'd be purchasing F in this case
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
If it's the 777-300ER, then business seats will be angled-flat -- not fully flat. And the configuration in J is 2-3-2 meaning that you have a good chance of having to climb over someone to get out of your seat.

The F cabin on that aircraft has just 8 individual enclosed, fully-flat suites in a 1-2-1 configuration. As others have pointed out, the quality of the food and beverage service is quite good up front. Business food doesn't look too bad, but I don't think they have free-flowing Dom or caviar back behind the J curtain.

I've flown the DXB-SEA route a couple of times in F -- it's superb. And I also walked through the other areas of the 777-300ER. The J travelers looked packed into their little 2-3-2 angled-flat seats ... not nearly as comfortable on such a long flight.
I don't agree with a lot of this.

To start, with 2-3-2 you don't have a "good" chance of having to climb over somebody, there are only 3 seats per row where you need to climb over somebody, so chances are "better" that you won't have to climb over somebody.

Nobody is "packed" into the J seats, except maybe the middle seat of 3. The seats are comfortable and private. And, even though they are not "horizontal" flat, they are flat and comfortable. There are some photos on the web that show the very slight angle they have, and it is minor.

Without question F is awesome, but J is also a good product.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by whimike
I don't agree with a lot of this.

To start, with 2-3-2 you don't have a "good" chance of having to climb over somebody, there are only 3 seats per row where you need to climb over somebody, so chances are "better" that you won't have to climb over somebody.

Nobody is "packed" into the J seats, except maybe the middle seat of 3. The seats are comfortable and private. And, even though they are not "horizontal" flat, they are flat and comfortable. There are some photos on the web that show the very slight angle they have, and it is minor.

Without question F is awesome, but J is also a good product.
Additionally on the 777-300ER 3 class, you have the row 6/7 mini cabin which I think has a nice ambience.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I'd go f for that price difference.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Additionally on the 777-300ER 3 class, you have the row 6/7 mini cabin which I think has a nice ambience.
Then the question becomes, would you rather sit in a full J class "mini" cabin or mostly empty J class "regular" cabin? I am looking at an upcoming flight on a 777-200LR and that is what it is showing in J right now. I am currently in the mini-cabin but thinking it might be nice to switch once on board if the mini stays full and the regular stays fairly empty.
Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Also I would consider whether you value miles earning or not, have or not EK status and what expect you upon landing.
Having to work is different than getting straight to home/hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.